Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Koontz my Butt. - Page 3

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Koontz my Butt.

Default Re: Koontz my Butt.

I don't read a lot of fiction. I tried DK and I wasn't satisfied, just as with John Saul and Peter Straub. They may be wonderful writers but the books I tried left me wanting (And I read the entire book(s) to make sure I wasn't missing something). I am going to try a writer that EMARX and Haunted recommended.

i can enjoy DK once in a while, but with other authors i often get bored because no one writes like SK and i have been reading his books for 16 years. but when i am burnt out on all my SK books i will occasionally go back to Intensity, or Winter Moon...they are good fallbacks.

and comparing Dean Koontz to Stephen King is ridiculous, SK is KING of Horror imo

Quote Originally Posted by wilhem spihntingle View Post
    Good timing on my part. DK's "Night Chills" is in at the library for me to pick up. Has anyone read it? Without giving any spoilers, is it a good read? I know it is one of his earlier novels.

Peace,

Sean
    It is a great read. I enjoyed many of DK's early works. If you haven't read Phantoms or The Taking check them out, great reads as well!

I find DK to be far to predictable .... I know exactly how each of his books will turn out so stopped reading them years ago !
    tell me if thats changed and I might give him another go.....

Quote Originally Posted by JellybeanJay View Post
    It is a great read. I enjoyed many of DK's early works. If you haven't read Phantoms or The Taking check them out, great reads as well!
    JBJ,

That is encouraging and I'm looking forward to reading a new (to me at least) author. "The Key to Midnight" was also recommended. Thanks for the good word on "Night Chills"

Peace,

Sean

I have found Koontz books to be mostly two-dimensional and superficial. King books, on the other hand, are multi-faceted. Re-read a Koontz book and it's the same book, only the second time around you'll know the ending. Re-read a King book and you'll discover new layers you hadn't noticed, character tie-ins you hadn't caught the first time, allusions to literature and pop culture, new ways to relate to the story and the characters, new ways to be disturbed. I think those who compare King to Koontz probably haven't read enough of either to even know what it is that they are comparing.

Quote Originally Posted by JayneH View Post
    I find DK to be far to predictable .... I know exactly how each of his books will turn out so stopped reading them years ago !
    tell me if thats changed and I might give him another go.....
    Try The Taking. It will shock you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund View Post
    I don't read a lot of fiction. I tried DK and I wasn't satisfied, just as with John Saul and Peter Straub. They may be wonderful writers but the books I tried left me wanting (And I read the entire book(s) to make sure I wasn't missing something). I am going to try a writer that EMARX and Haunted recommended.
    Which write is that Sig? I am trying Brian Keene.

Where the Summer storms never hit hard enough.

I feel like I dodged (a) bullet(s) when I opined that a K&K story should published. I mean, Hell, Yo, all the rappers be up in the hizzous doin' that you in the day wid da new honeybee.

In other words, crossover mucus (pardon me) music is now quite de rigeur. Writers could do that and not have to deal with videos of huge booties shaking to the sounds of palm trees and MAC-10s poppin' down hard for the respek.

OR, I'll write with both and y'all can choose. How's that?

So, I just picked up DK's "Night Chills" at the library. I have never read any DK before. It's a tattered and torn first edition (1976). I'm about 20 pages in and I'm liking it. One heck of a great opening chapter and it's keeping my interest very much. Knowing SK's "Carrie" came out in 1974 and it's been a long time since I read it, I can understand how SK and DK might have been compared back then. NC is set in small town Maine, papermill, some nefarious flu is being mentioned..

I'm eager to keep reading this, and I'm hoping it stays on track like it has so far. I am noticing a strange lack of profanity and humor, both things I love about SK. We shall see, but for now I am impressed with DK, at least with "Night Chills".

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast