This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Koontz my Butt.

Default Re: Koontz my Butt.

I find it enlightening that TF who originally got this post going...lobbed the printed "grenade" and then scurried off-never to be heard from again...that irritates me to no end...if you're gonna be a "basher" at least have the courage of your so called convictions and stick around to respond to both the pros and cons...I don't give a flaming rat's rear if you like DK or not(and I've said it multiple times before-I do)at least read his body of work before you make your opinions known...he HAS published some real clinkers-but not everything SK has done is deathless prose either...you judge a writer on his totality-not just a couple of his "children"...most EVERY author has SOMETHING positive about their work, or they would never have been published in the first place...

Well said GNTLGNT

You know, I love that everyone here is so passionate about books, it’s why I love this board but I think everyone is entitled to their opinion whether it’s negative or positive. And I think we should all be able to express it without backlash. As long as we are not personally bashing someone or deliberately hurting someone, it’s ok.
    That being said if I gave the impression I do not like Dean Koontz, then my apologies. I’ve only read about ten of his books and so far, I do like them; they do not live up to the standards of some other books but it does not make him a bad author. I happen to drink diet coke when the mood strikes; I actually do not drink soda at all…but that’s besides the point.
    I know how it feels to get your favourite authors bashed; how many times have I told people I love Stephen King and then they look at me like I sprouted horns on my head…I’ve lost count. I've actually had people ask what's wrong with me. So yeah, I understand why anyone would be upset.
    I don’t think Dean Koontz is anyone’s butt…although I get the weirdest image when I think about it…

After reading only SK books when you pick up and read a Dean Koontz book it's like going back to elementary school. Koontz's book are so simple and juvenile compared to SK. I will stick to SK.

I liked Watchers and Phantoms. The Odd Thomas series was enjoyable. I liked the first two books in the Frankenstein series but was very disappointed by the 3rd and 4th books.

Where the Summer storms never hit hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCeleste View Post
    ...how many times have I told people I love Stephen King and then they look at me like I sprouted horns on my head…I’ve lost count....
    Were you talking to Joe Hill?

I can tell by reading the Dean Koontz novels ,which I read- back in the late 80's -early nineties, like "Lightning", "Midnight", and "Phantoms,"that he could weave a good tale . Then I noticed after reading "The Bad Place ", that Mr. Koontz, is a VERY,wounded man-exorcizing multiple childhood TRAUMAS in his work. I could smell the damage coming off the page. No offense Mr. Koontz, what really turned me off was the "cul de sac" and "boganvillia" flowery repetition ,These references and words came up so often ,I gave up. I could smell the flowers in California cul-de-sacs. Enough floral dead ends aaah. O.K. There are some good stories like the afore -mentioned ,but I an not Carl Jung, or his personal psychiatrist. I am sorry he was somehow tortured ,but I do not have a Psychology degree- to adequately weed through true confessions -and Bad repetitive descriptive writing. Like King-not at all. Scary- yes- his life,I believe more than his stories. Sorry Mr Koontz. I am glad you are successful despite your wounds.E. Freemantle.

Come on, most of Dean Koontz books are better than The Tommyknockers, or Delores Claiborn.

I agree, I used to be strictly SK. I had heard of Dean Koontz but never picked up any of his material because people made him seem so second rate. After reading a couple of books and short stories of Sk's in a row that I didn't care for at all, I decided to give Mr. Koontz a try. I've been reading DK books regularly eversince then. I'm still a big Stephen King fan of course, his work is truly awesome. Sk and DK have two completely different writing styles, each brings me something that the other can't. They're both my two favorite authors of all time!

salad next to steak, that is much better than I put it. Koontz is okay when King taking a break, but I have to read every Stephen King book and I can't say that about mister Koontz. I love Stephen King's books but I hate his politics. The fact that I disagree with him so much and still buy his books is a testimony to his greatness. There is no contemporary Arthur that I enjoy reading and will buy immediately except Stephen King. For such a jerk he sure does write a mean book. Steak next to salad, that is perfect.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast