This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Koontz my Butt.

Default Re: Koontz my Butt.

Odd Thomas was 1 of the better books that Koontz wrote as far as I was concerned. I kind of enjoyed those. If you can't get Stephen Koontz is third or fourth best. I I am not that picky about fiction, but anybody that compares him to Stephen King doesn't know much as far as I am concerned.

Dean Koontz is one of my favorite writers. And I've never understood people trying to compare him to Stephen King. Different style, different tone. Koontz is more of a suspense writer with the occasional dash of horror or fantasy. He's not trying to be Stephen King, and he's not trying to copy Stephen King. I personally think Koontz has gotten to the point where he puts out too many books, maybe three or four a year. His characters can tend to be too similar to one another, and Koontz prefers happier endings with a message of hope. From what I've read about Koontz he had a crazy, abusive father and endured a lot, so you can see where his message might be that you can get away from the evil and find the light. Nothing wrong with that. Stephen King is my favorite author, but Koontz is excellent as well and I see no need of all the SK fans raising their hackles en mass every time Koontz' name is mentioned. This great big ol' country of ours has plenty of room for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim D. View Post
    Dean Koontz is one of my favorite writers. And I've never understood people trying to compare him to Stephen King. Different style, different tone. Koontz is more of a suspense writer with the occasional dash of horror or fantasy. He's not trying to be Stephen King, and he's not trying to copy Stephen King. I personally think Koontz has gotten to the point where he puts out too many books, maybe three or four a year. His characters can tend to be too similar to one another, and Koontz prefers happier endings with a message of hope. From what I've read about Koontz he had a crazy, abusive father and endured a lot, so you can see where his message might be that you can get away from the evil and find the light. Nothing wrong with that. Stephen King is my favorite author, but Koontz is excellent as well and I see no need of all the SK fans raising their hackles en mass every time Koontz' name is mentioned. This great big ol' country of ours has plenty of room for both.
    ...well said...NEVER should have been a sisde-by-side comparison...they've both written in similar genres and that's where the similarity ends...

While I don't totally disagree, I think King is much better at character development.

I loved Konntz's "Lightning" also, yet, his other works seem to be very repetitious; I cannot count how many times I have come across the phrases "cul de sac" and "bougainvillea vines" in his works. He seems to slap - dash, paint the characters and ask the reader to fill in the details; in a break neck rush to end the sometimes schizophrenic novels. If you want to feel this, mental illness , read a cheap copy of "The Bad Place". Ha Ha

Quote Originally Posted by tabascofred View Post
    salad next to steak, that is much better than I put it. Koontz is okay when King taking a break, but I have to read every Stephen King book and I can't say that about mister Koontz. I love Stephen King's books but I hate his politics. The fact that I disagree with him so much and still buy his books is a testimony to his greatness. There is no contemporary Arthur that I enjoy reading and will buy immediately except Stephen King. For such a jerk he sure does write a mean book. Steak next to salad, that is perfect.
    Please tell me you're not one of the ones who's going to boycott Mr. King's work from now on because you disagree with his stance on guns.
    I'd lose respect for you if you are planning such a foolhardy (and immature) response.

And p.s. - not real cool to diss Mr. King as a "jerk" on the website he owns and operates free of charge to people like you and me; you've got a public forum in which to air your opinion that's provided by him, so please quit talkin' trash about the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim D. View Post
    I have enjoyed a few Koontz books ... but the last few I read, I really did not like. Tin ear dialogue, paint-by-numbers character development, etc. I do feel like I need to give the Odd Thomas books a shot.

Oh, I really just stopped in here to say that every time I see this thread pop up in the unread list, I think, "No. No I will not koontz your butt, and you cannot make me."

I have such a problem when people "dis" an author because they're not "on par" with King. People should enjoy books and authors of all genres. I love Dean Koontz as much as Stephen King. When I'm not reading them I seek out one of my all time favorites John Saul. When I'm bored with crime, horror or suspense I'll pick up one of the classics. Recently I read A Portrait of Dorian Gray and will soon start The Count of Monte Cristo. I would no sooner compare Oscar Wilde to Alexander Dumas any more than anyone should compare King to Koontz and Saul. They ALL have their strengths and faults. I love all books and if you're not "spreading the wealth" and reading as many authors as you can the only one suffering for it is you.

I wish that Mr. Koontz would finish the Moonlight Bay trilogy (Fear Nothing, Seize the Night, and...apparently...Ride the Storm, which will be out... sometime... maybe).

I also wish that Mr. King and Mr. Straub would finish the Talisman-Black House-??? trilogy.

Saaay... Ms. Mod... have you ever considered doing a bit of ghost-writing?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast