Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Koontz my Butt. - Page 8

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Koontz my Butt.

CCRider529 Guest

Default Re: Koontz my Butt.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    Well, gee-what a suprise...here I am being the dissenter amongst you...I happen to enjoy DK, he is second in my pantheon of favorite writers-right behind SK... I agree that he doesn't compel me like King does-but I happen to appreciate his off-beat humor(shocker there!), his love of animals-and yeah, his long winded but hopeful messages of love and hope that are at the heart of all his novels. Some of them are repetitive in nature, but I will abide by my opinion and respect all of yours-however I don't appreciate the implied hatchet job of the original post. SK is not for everyone either-so just because you don't care for Koontz-don't come in my house and dis him...
    I agree 100%!! I like DK's books, I have quite a lot of them. My favorite is the Odd Thomas collection, and can't wait for the new one coming out this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
    I have such a problem when people "dis" an author because they're not "on par" with King. People should enjoy books and authors of all genres. I love Dean Koontz as much as Stephen King. When I'm not reading them I seek out one of my all time favorites John Saul. When I'm bored with crime, horror or suspense I'll pick up one of the classics. Recently I read A Portrait of Dorian Gray and will soon start The Count of Monte Cristo. I would no sooner compare Oscar Wilde to Alexander Dumas any more than anyone should compare King to Koontz and Saul. They ALL have their strengths and faults. I love all books and if you're not "spreading the wealth" and reading as many authors as you can the only one suffering for it is you.
    Mostly true ... but if you read three books by an author and you hate all of them (because not everyone is going to like everything) and then read a fourth, I have to suspect a tendency toward masochism.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Saaay... Ms. Mod... have you ever considered doing a bit of ghost-writing?
    Who says she hasn't done any?

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    I wish that Mr. Koontz would finish the Moonlight Bay trilogy (Fear Nothing, Seize the Night, and...apparently...Ride the Storm, which will be out... sometime... maybe).

I also wish that Mr. King and Mr. Straub would finish the Talisman-Black House-??? trilogy.

Saaay... Ms. Mod... have you ever considered doing a bit of ghost-writing?
    I wish he would finish the Moonlight Bay series also. It's been wa-a-a-a-a-y too long of a wait for the third book to come out. He'd better not put a supernatually talented Golden Retriever in it either, or I really will not read any of his books again. Ditto on a new Talisman book, wish the two authors could get some time to do it. I miss Jack!!

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    Who says she hasn't done any?
    April Fool's!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
    I have such a problem when people "dis" an author because they're not "on par" with King. People should enjoy books and authors of all genres... I love all books and if you're not "spreading the wealth" and reading as many authors as you can the only one suffering for it is you.
    Although there is just *bad* writing, in general, I agree with King. If you manage to get published, and the publisher sends you a check, and you pay the light bill with that check, you are talented.

There are so many different styles of writing, and so many different styles of reader, and while some criticism is legitimate, what it boils right down to is (in my opinion) the connection between the reader and the writer. Both have to "link up" in some way for that to happen. When I say I don't like a book, I don't at all intend to suggest that someone who does has poor taste. Okay, YES, there are a few exceptions to that rule (*cough* 50 Shades *cough*), but Koontz isn't one of them.

I try not to say "That book sucked." Unless it does (*cough* 50 Shades *cough*). But I also don't hold back from criticizing where criticism is due, and I think that is helpful, because there are so many books to read out there, and so many authors who persist in writing new ones even though they must know I'm falling further behind every day (it's like they don't even CARE, the heartless bastards), that if I don't get some guidance from like-minded friends and critics, I'm just flailing. I wish I had all the time in the world to read, but I don't. So I have to be selective with what I pick up. Not insular, mind you, but selective--meaning that I believe I have a good chance of enjoying the book on some level.

Oooh, I'm totally stealing my own words for a blog post. Ha! (I really need to comb back through all my blatherings on this site if I run out of ideas.)

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Although there is just *bad* writing, in general, I agree with King. If you manage to get published, and the publisher sends you a check, and you pay the light bill with that check, you are talented.

There are so many different styles of writing, and so many different styles of reader, and while some criticism is legitimate, what it boils right down to is (in my opinion) the connection between the reader and the writer. Both have to "link up" in some way for that to happen. When I say I don't like a book, I don't at all intend to suggest that someone who does has poor taste. Okay, YES, there are a few exceptions to that rule (*cough* 50 Shades *cough*), but Koontz isn't one of them.

I try not to say "That book sucked." Unless it does (*cough* 50 Shades *cough*). But I also don't hold back from criticizing where criticism is due, and I think that is helpful, because there are so many books to read out there, and so many authors who persist in writing new ones even though they must know I'm falling further behind every day (it's like they don't even CARE, the heartless bastards), that if I don't get some guidance from like-minded friends and critics, I'm just flailing. I wish I had all the time in the world to read, but I don't. So I have to be selective with what I pick up. Not insular, mind you, but selective--meaning that I believe I have a good chance of enjoying the book on some level.

Oooh, I'm totally stealing my own words for a blog post. Ha! (I really need to comb back through all my blatherings on this site if I run out of ideas.)
    Re: (*cough*50 Shades*cough*) in my humble opinion it is just a Harlequin romance with some sex thrown in to keep it "tittilating" - I must admit I am guilty of reading the first one in the series but my hubby had just gone up North I gave my head a shake and never read volume 2 or 3
    p.s. Did I understand the title of this thread - he says he wants me to "Koontz" his butt?

Is that something kinky?

[QUOTE=Neesy;566849]I must admit I am guilty of reading the first one in the series but my hubby had just gone up North [/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    April Fool's!
    Is that your non-de-plume??? So, now I gotta go try to find books written by 'April Fool'????

At another of my messageboards, we were having a debate on the merits of Babylon 5, when who should show up but J. Michael Straczynski. And yes, it was really him.

I wonder if Mr. Koontz is a member here. That would be fun, though I'm sure that professional courtesy would keep him from revealing himself.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast