Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Koontz my Butt. - Page 9

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Koontz my Butt.

Default Re: Koontz my Butt.

I don't get it. I like Koontz. I haven't loved every book he wrote...but then, I haven't loved every King book either.

Right now I'm reading the DT series, and the Frankenstein series.

I've read several of Koontz's novels and for the most part have enjoyed them all, Watchers, Phantoms, The Door to December, and Midnight being my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lee Severn View Post
    I've read several of Koontz's novels and for the most part have enjoyed them all, Watchers, Phantoms, The Door to December, and Midnight being my favorites.
    I used to be a huge fan of Koontz until he started introducing 'gifted' golden retrievers into almost every newer book he's written in the last 10 years or so. I still read his Odd Thomas series and the Frankenstein ones (love how he balances the horror with humor) and am eagerly awaiting his conclusion to the Moonlight bay series (I think that's what it's called, too many years have gone by since the last installment in this great series that I forget the name of the books!!). But, if I see a new Koontz book on the shelf in the bookstore and pick it up and read the description on the flyleaf of the dj and there's any mention of a golden retriever, I put it back down. He needs to move on from this type of writing, it's become redundant.

it's become redundant.
    ...a bit, but I'll still choose him over a raft of others...golden retriever fan club notwithstanding....

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...a bit, but I'll still choose him over a raft of others...golden retriever fan club notwithstanding....
    Might that include someone with the name starting with Stephanie and ending with (fill in the blank) 'Oh, I wish I was an Oscar ______ weiner!'

Just read 77 Shadow Street by Koontz. Having our little joke, are we Dean? I sincerely hope this work is all tongue-in-cheek and you are laughing your ass off, or you have seriously gone insane.

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Just read 77 Shadow Street by Koontz. Having our little joke, are we Dean? I sincerely hope this work is all tongue-in-cheek and you are laughing your ass off, or you have seriously gone insane.
    77 Shadow Street left me wanting- not more- just a better book. Dean has the capacity to do so much better than what he has been churning out these last few years. Don't get me wrong- I really like the Frankenstein novels and the Odd series, but he needs to do better.

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    77 Shadow Street left me wanting- not more- just a better book. Dean has the capacity to do so much better than what he has been churning out these last few years. Don't get me wrong- I really like the Frankenstein novels and the Odd series, but he needs to do better.
    ...gotta admit, 77 Shadow was not one of the better things to slide out of his printer...now, around that same time period, Darkness Under the Sun-I feel was on the upper end of the scale...

I've been trying to finish that 77 Shadow Street for the past six months or so. Now I understand why some people find reading boring, or a waste of time, even.
    It seems every other of his books are great, and that other part makes me suspect he's got a ghostwriter, his golden retriever perhaps.

I am beginning to wonder if he is getting a bit of dementia or something lol. I have put the book down. It is sorta like eating soggy cornflakes...still has a bit of flavour but very hard to swallow.
    I always say that he preaches to his readers and in this book he does that a lot. Every action of the characters had to be psychoanalized to the nth degree. They couldn't pour a cup of coffee without him explaining the reason behind the action....past history, thoughts on the mores of society and so on. A writer does not need to do this if he has good character development. The reader can figure this stuff out on his own. The book should have been titled "Stock characters gone wild".

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast