Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Thoughts on Wizard and Glass - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Wizard and Glass

Default Re: Thoughts on Wizard and Glass

Quote Originally Posted by gniknehpets View Post
    Oh ChickenStu! There are so many books out there that deserve a second reading. There is no way anyone can get every nuance of some books in one reading. It's like trying to eat every new chocolate dessert ever made and never having the same one twice. M&M's taste good every time you eat them, some books are good every time you read them. Bad analogy maybe, but you get the idea. Slow down, enjoy, savor them, you'll never read them all...
    Lol, I appreciate that - and if that kind of thing is for you then go for it! But I physically can't re-read something. If I've read it, I've read it. I've tried to re-read stuff in the past, but I hate it when I know what's coming. And plus, it takes so much for me in my life to get the time to sit down and read a book - if I'm reading something I've read before then it would seem like a waste. I'm the same with movies. I can't watch them over and over. I just like to move on and devour something new.

As I worked my way through the first 3 volumes I'd ran into similar criticisms of Wizard and Glass, it had made me apprehensive about the book, yet as I delved into it I loved getting this glimpse into this hard mans life.
    I really felt as eager as his Ka-tet to sit around the fire and maybe figure this guy out a bit.
    Yet I'm something of a second generation Tower junkie.
    I didn't start reading these until they were all released, I knew that ultimately I could read it all in a month and there was an ending of sorts in site, and that I feel must make a huge difference.

Finished W&G yesterday. It took me long awhile to get through it. I allowed a few interruptions (such as reading a book to my mom who is ill) My thoughts on W&G, it was a good book, I liked the story. I liked Susan Delgado. The love story was a nice change in a King book, he did a great job. Call me "Ms. Misery" but I would have liked a sweeter ending to the love story, not that I could ask that it be written over. JK.. Jk! Tragic love stories are sad and so unhappy. I liked Rhea too. She was a persistent old B'atch. I could easily imagine her as a bitter, evil, hateful old lady Susan. Sort of a nice girl gone terribly bad. I would like to know Rhea's story. This book was more about Susan to me and her influence on Roland. I am endeared to Roland, knowing this part of his life.

I love W&G because it game me more of Roland's past which i enjoyed. Susan Delgado was an alright character.

I thought she did some really stupid things like after killing two people and freeing Roland and his friends, why would she leave the hut and sleep outside after Roland leaves knowing they were being hunted down? Then she get captures which led to her horrible demise. I can really this book made into a movie actually each book. Very good stuff for a new reader of SK.

I totally respect people who get bogged down in the love story or want to get back to Roland, Eddie, Susannah, Jake & Oy. For me, one of the great aspects of W&G is getting the chance to see Roland before he becomes the damaged warrior we have seen in the books up to this point. Seeing him young, still fairly optimistic and before the world has moved on - I think it gives a tremendous amount of depth to the character.

It looks like many have experienced the same feelings toward W&G, and you can add me to the list. I just finished my "re-read" of W&G (I'm listening to the DT audiobooks on my commute) and found myself enjoying it much more than my first time 'round. Like many, I think I rushed through W&G, wanting to see the eventual confrontation between Roland's Ka-tet and the Big Coffin Hunters and the continuation of Roland's new Ka-tet, and didn't appreciate it fully. I also think listening to the audiobooks has allowed me slow down and catch every nuance. The on-going tension and build-up to the eventual confrontation was masterful. Unlike some of the other texts in this series, there is less action (at least during the long flashback) until the actual final battle(s) between the folk from Mejis and Farson's men. But you know, from the very beginning of Roland's story, that the battle would occur and you were just aching for more. Many of us rushed through and thought it tiresome, but that is because SK did an amazing job to build that tension little by little. Learning about how Roland began his obsession with the DT aside, the story stands on its own IMHO.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Wizard & Glass is my favorite DT book. Many that don't like this one as much as the others say the love story is too long. The love story dominates the book but there is so much other stuff going on within that love story, I never felt bogged down by the love story at all. It's an awesome adventure from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    Wizard & Glass is my favorite DT book. Many that don't like this one as much as the others say the love story is too long. The love story dominates the book but there is so much other stuff going on within that love story, I never felt bogged down by the love story at all. It's an awesome adventure from start to finish.
    To be honest, I thought it was a great read the first time I read it. But the second time, the "romance plot" began to drag a little, I thought. I hope that was just because I'd read it all not long before, because I really want it to hold up on repeated readings.

I really enjoyed W&G. The love story, and the tragic ending to it really helps in understanding what Roland has become over the past (100? 1000 years?). I enjoyed the chance to get to know his first ka-tet, and would have enjoyed an even more in depth view of the events that happened in Gilead after their return from the Meijis.

This time around, I'll definitely be taking W&G much slower, and paying special attention.
    Not that it bored me the first time around. Quite the opposite, actually: Roland's story completely mesmerized me. I couldn't get enough, and-therefore-read it quickly.

("All things serve the Beam")

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast