This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Character?

Default Re: Favourite Character?

I might incur the wrath of some here but I have to say that my favourite characters of all were Big Jim and the Chef.

Some of Big Jim's dialogue had me laughing out loud (his "roast beef with Jesus" lines were pure quality when I mentally pictured the scene) and the Chef for the same reasons. I used to have a friend who was a little like the Chef (though I'm pretty sure he wasn't on the meth!) and I think that maybe certain fictional characters can become endeared to us if we can relate to them on some personal level.

One of Stephen's greatest skills is the way he creates depth with his characters and makes them unique.....I think in a novel like UTD, every reader will encounter a character who reminds them in some way of somebody they know, or used to know and that is one of the things that make this book so great.

Rusty!

Quote Originally Posted by tom32 View Post
    I might incur the wrath of some here but I have to say that my favourite characters of all were Big Jim and the Chef.

Some of Big Jim's dialogue had me laughing out loud (his "roast beef with Jesus" lines were pure quality when I mentally pictured the scene) and the Chef for the same reasons. I used to have a friend who was a little like the Chef (though I'm pretty sure he wasn't on the meth!) and I think that maybe certain fictional characters can become endeared to us if we can relate to them on some personal level.

One of Stephen's greatest skills is the way he creates depth with his characters and makes them unique.....I think in a novel like UTD, every reader will encounter a character who reminds them in some way of somebody they know, or used to know and that is one of the things that make this book so great.
    I didn't like Big Jim, but I do like lines such as you describe that sK gives his characters. I really liked Chef, so strung out, so crazy. Whenever answering the question of who my overall, all-time favorite sK character is it's always Collie Entragian in Desperation, of all people. I think that choice has to do with having been a teen during the hippies vs cops era. Entragian touched a deep-rooted paranoia nerve in me which amounted in a really scary read, which is what I'm looking for in a horror story. Also, I really liked the combination of the corrupt, power abusing cop, a type of psychotic who any one of us may encounter any day in real life, with an unimaginably insane, purely evil, supernatural entity. Sigh, the good old days.

As mentioned earlier, I loved to hate Big Jim.I have about 200 pages to read....sure hope he gets shot or better yet,gets sent to prison for life!

me my fave villain in the under the dome will be Big Jim Rennie he is so cool and ruthless

I thought Junior was pretty fascinating-- walking around growing crazier by the minute, cuddling with dead girls in pantries... all while staying under the radar for most of the book.

For me it will be Big Jim Rennie and Junior Rennie

Even though he doesn't turn up until later in the book, it's got to be Thurston for me. He's an intellectual, but practical too, in the way he quickly takes to working in the hospital & helping look after the Appleton kids.

It was very sad when he died.
    Other favourites are Rusty, Norrie, Benny & Julia. I also admired Jackie Wettington

for standing up to the corrupt cops.
    Hated Big Jim & Junior, but I guess that was the idea - SK always creates great villains for readers to love hating!

Barbie.

I like a good villain but a villain will never be my favorite character. My favorite character always has to be one I'd like to be around in person. None of the bad guys meets that criterion.

Just finished the book yesterday and I miss it. That's why I came on here. Favorite characters? Hmm, well I admire Sammy, Baaarbie, Rusty, Jackie, Joe, Norrie, Andrea, Julia, Thurston and Ollie. Loved reading about others such as Chef and Junior. Didn't even like reading about Big Jim. Made me sick. But I have to say my favorites are a tie between Ollie, Thurston and Andrea. And Horace was a great character too. I thought about writing an epilogue just for my own peace of mind.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast