This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: could someone please make a real version of hearts in atlantis?

Unhappy could someone please make a real version of hearts in atlantis?

God Damn that movie sucked!

Default Re: could someone please make a real version of hearts in atlantis?

I'm not a REAL sensitive soul, but I'm feeling that you didn't find the film to your liking...never seen it, don't intend to-though I love Sir Anthony-I'll stay with my page flipping and my own movies of the mind...

My reaction wasn't quite as visceral as yours, but yeah, I agree. Compared to the book, it was barely entertaining. But then again, I am one of those annoying folks that think that the book is ALWAYS better.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickmind View Post
    God Damn that movie sucked!
    Hi,

Hmmm.

Well, for a version of Low Men in Yellow Coats, stripped of all the DT references, it wasn't THAT bad LOL.

('Apart from that, Mrs Kennedy, what did you think of Dallas?')

You've got to admit that Sir Anthony was stunning as Ted Brautigan, and I hope he'll reprise the role in the DT movies.

Long days and pkeasant nights

Watched this movie a few months back, and really enjoyed it. Always put off watching as I love the book, and didn't want to be disappointed, but it is what it is.

I like the way it mainly focused on the first story, and apart from not mentioning the origin of the low men, and breakers, it was pretty damn close to the story. People who aren't aware of the book or DT universe would not have understood or appreciated those references, so I accepted the explanation of the low men being FBI/CIA. It made more sense like that for the viewing audience, turning the movie into a classic "coming of age" story, rather than something "other wordly" and maybe confusing.

The friendship between Sully, Bobby and Carol was captured perfectly, and the latter twos blossoming childhood romance was beautiful to watch. As for Anthony Hopkins as "Ted"...perfectemundo!

Well Ok I do actually agree with some of your comments on the good points of the movie. The start was really faithful to the book and was enjoyable but as the movie progressed the script made weaker and weaker choices away from the original and then just turned the story into hall mark sappiness. As a "coming of age" story it was ok, but it was SO GUTLESS compared to the book. Where were the Lord of the Flies reference? Where was the fear? Gutless. I can envision a real film version being made but it would need a good budget for those living breathing cars and aliens. I do not always think the book is better as I realise that films need to cut but the second half just gutted the original story which was upsetting when the first half seemed pretty faithful. And then the directors commentary on the DVD was so pompous and pretentious and he barely even mentioned Stephen King or the book.

I'm just wondering that now with the announcement of the Dark Tower books to be made into a film/TV series, and hoping that they will leave in any and all scenes/references to Ted and Sheemie, will someone actually go back and re-make 'Hearts in Atlantis' and leave in all DT/Low Men references? It would be cool to see an actual film version that sticks to the storyline in HIA.

Would love to see all the stories in HIA - Low Men, Hearts in Atlantis, Blind Willie, Why We're In Vietnam, Heavenly Shades of Night are Falling - made into a movie or a mini-series - but then it probably wouldn't appeal to those who didn't live the 60's & Vietnam and every other decade like I have ....

Quote Originally Posted by oylovesjake View Post
    Would love to see all the stories in HIA - Low Men, Hearts in Atlantis, Blind Willie, Why We're In Vietnam, Heavenly Shades of Night are Falling - made into a movie or a mini-series - but then it probably wouldn't appeal to those who didn't live the 60's & Vietnam and every other decade like I have ....
    I didn't live in the 60's but I would totally enjoy it....it's such a popular time in American history. And for a lot of folks my age, our parents served in Viet Nam.
    I know for me, my father's service has always held some fascination for me (he was a drill sargent and an engineer in Na Trang in 1970) now, especially, since he was diagnosed with diabetes last year and he's been having pancreatic and gall bladder problems that the VA has tied into his exposure to Agent Orange.

I, too, woudl like to see Anthony Hopkins reprise his role as Ted Brautigan in the DT movies.

I admit I would like to see it! (I mean last time I checked I still had a pulse!) So definitely would like to see it. but if theres no low men and no DT references then its a waste of rime, money and SK's name-isnt it???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast