Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Black Friday kinda makes me sick - Page 10

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday kinda makes me sick

Default Re: Black Friday

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    What was the age bracket of the three that you asked? I bet they were on the younger side. Those in my age bracket (40-50) hate the thought of working on Thanksgiving night. Luckily, my store won't be doing that, and I feel bad for those employees who have to come in after turkey dinner, and I refuse to be one of the shopping 'zombies' that will be out there shopping.
    Nope. The lady who said it would be over by the time she came in had to be close to 50. The one who said it just didn't matter much was the only young-ish one.

Default Re: Black Friday kinda makes me sick

Here's a thought: if you know someone who has to work either Thanksgiving night or on Black Friday (specifically in retail or fast food), it might be worth spreading some good karma by taking them a treat or two. Most sales associates aren't allowed to have either food or a drink at the register, so take them a food court or Starbucks gift card. One customer of mine gave me foot lotion on Black Friday one year! Another customer came every single year I worked in retail and tucked See's hard candies into my jacket pocket (hey, the contraband wasn't at the register, was it??). It was awesome. I was remembered and pitied in my misery. :-)

That is an awesome idea, Lily! I'd gladly do it, but I'm not going to be anywhere near a store on either of those days!

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    Here's a thought: if you know someone who has to work either Thanksgiving night or on Black Friday (specifically in retail or fast food), it might be worth spreading some good karma by taking them a treat or two. Most sales associates aren't allowed to have either food or a drink at the register, so take them a food court or Starbucks gift card. One customer of mine gave me foot lotion on Black Friday one year! Another customer came every single year I worked in retail and tucked See's hard candies into my jacket pocket (hey, the contraband wasn't at the register, was it??). It was awesome. I was remembered and pitied in my misery. :-)
    That is such a good idea. I may just take something in if I decide to go shopping.

I'll be working a twelve hour shift starting at 11:30 Thursday night. I'll accept gifts, snacks, treats, booze......

Quote Originally Posted by Sundrop View Post
    I'll be working a twelve hour shift starting at 11:30 Thursday night. I'll accept gifts, snacks, treats, booze......
    ....chocolates, nylons...etc......

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    For sure! Drop by the mall any time

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    or a nice fresh egg?

Black Friday represents for me everything that is wrong with greed. People act like they have lost their minds pushing and shoving to get the deal.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by arista View Post
    Black Friday represents for me everything that is wrong with greed. People act like they have lost their minds pushing and shoving to get the deal.
    I'm not sure it's even about greed. I think many of the people just think this is fun (why else would you subject yourself to this?). Nobody is really saving that much money, if any. Anyone who thinks that the retailers haven't figured out a way to take advantage of shoppers on Black Friday is sadly mistaken. I think it's like a sporting event for people and they get to go act like hooligans.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast