This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Friday kinda makes me sick

Default Re: Black Friday kinda makes me sick

In my younger years I worked at Wally world....Seen many horrible Black Friday's, with ma and pa shopper who'd sell their soul to get x item! I avoid it like the plague. Many retail workers hate Thanksgiving, because they have to be at work around 3:30 or 4:00 a.m. Friday morning for the madness!( oh yeah, it stunk) I remember not even being able to enjoy the day, knowing what was coming on Black Friday. I feel sorry every year for what the poor retail workers have to go through. Black Friday needs to quietly go away.

So it seems like no one here likes Black Friday, so who is going? This is like the late 1970s when no one was admitting to liking ABBA but somehow they were selling millions of records.

Don't forget about Cyber Monday....

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    So it seems like no one here likes Black Friday, so who is going? This is like the late 1970s when no one was admitting to liking ABBA but somehow they were selling millions of records.
    That is hilarious!!
    This has been a really therapeutic thread for me to read and I thank you all.
    I needed that, and that video cracked me up too. So true!

I work retail and I like my job but I'd certainly rather be home than working on Black Friday. We were closed Thanksgiving but opened all the earlier the next day. (That is the day our books balance to black, thus "Black Friday" a little inside baseball as to the workings of capitalism there.)

I got to the store at 5:30 am and there were already about 150 people waiting outside. Jeeze people I'm thinking, go back to bed!
    I'm not the best wee capitalist in the world I suppose, nor the worse I imagine.
    It just boggles my mind to think that people really start shopping at 3 in the morning!

By the time we opened at 6, some people had already been to several other places and were totally stoked/caffeinated from being up since God knows when, literally shopping like there's no tomorrow. It was a full blown madhouse at our store until about noon, then it settled down to mere chaos by the time I gladly left at 2 pm.

I opted out of doing any shopping myself. I went home, got into my jammies, grabbed my copy of Goblet of Fire (which is terrific btw), made a pot of tea and tried not to think about the fact that it's only just begun... there's nearly a month left of this "get out of my way, come here, me first" crap to be dealt with from people.
    Shoppers are beasts this time of year, and they seem to become beastier the closer it gets to Christmas.

I don't let it ruin my feelings about the season though (usually), I can't let other people's stress stress me out or make me pissy because they are, and the truth is I'd be surprised if folks all the sudden became patient and polite in stores this time of year... as a matter of fact it might even freak me out a little.

So anyhow to wrap this up, my car got front ended today at work by a hit and run holiday driver in our way too crowed parking lot. It's still runs fine but it's not a pretty sight, Tis' the season and ho ho ho!

So anyhow to wrap this up, my car got front ended today at work by a hit and run holiday driver in our way too crowed parking lot. It's still runs fine but it's not a pretty sight, Tis' the season and ho ho ho!
    Sheesh Pat, sorry to hear that!!! But remember, Karma is a bi**h and the h&R driver will hopefully be under Rudolph who has a weak stomach and colon...

I've worked in retail for 30+ years and all I have to say is Black Friday/Holiday shopping SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You really do get to see the worst in people and this at a time when we are supposed to be celebrating the birth of Christ (hence the name CHRISTmas). I think that Jesus would be absolutely appalled at how people have become. I try to keep a smile on my face and in my voice, but, damn, somedays it just ain't possible. Please, people, the world won't end if you don't get that 60" flat screen or that $200 laptop!!!

I heard in the news yesterday that 100 year old Wal-mart greeter was shoved when she requested to see the receipt of someone who had an item to return. I am thinking that she has all my kudos for working while being a 100 and also that she was not hurt. She returned to work the next day..IT is like people lose their minds on the day after thanksgiving.

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

I have to admit, I went to about 3 black Fridays, this was about 9 yrs. ago & before, before the crowds were like they are now. My mom & grandma & I went, just to go see & do a little shopping. It was fun then, but later I thought, I'm buying things I don't even need & just because they're half price? Who cares, nobody wants it, not even me. So I stopped going. But also the last year I went, there was a crowd, my mom & I arrived at 6am, & there was already a big crowd waiting to get in the store, which hadn't opened yet. So when the doors opened, there's the big rush inside & people pushing, carts in the way, you can't even drive your basket w/out hitting someone, I really hated it! I don't like shopping that way...when we usually go do our weekly shopping, we go when there's not a lot of people so there's no hassles. I feel more relaxed that way. Besides, we don't even need more stuff, that's all it is-just more junk to fill up our house. It's such a shame when I see on the tv all those people trampling each other, they don't even care. I don't think it's the stores' fault, people are out of control & they just don't care to act like fools in public.

Quote Originally Posted by arista View Post
    I heard in the news yesterday that 100 year old Wal-mart greeter was shoved when she requested to see the receipt of someone who had an item to return. I am thinking that she has all my kudos for working while being a 100 and also that she was not hurt. She returned to work the next day..IT is like people lose their minds on the day after thanksgiving.
    Just the one day? I could tell you all kinds of retail hell stories...............................

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by arista View Post
    I just read something about that, and ya know what's even more amazing to me than that, is that no one kicked their sleazy low down yellow bellied azzzzz, and then mopped the floor, if not the entire parking lot with it!
    They should never be able to eat without the aid of a straw ever again.
    It's probably for the best we stay holiday season shopping hermits, as there's not any God or Gods in anyone's imagination, that could begin help you if you so much as touched a hair on my only 88 year old Mama's cute little punkin' head, much less shove her down (they'd best be with a heap of rather large friends, 'cause prayin' surely ain't gonna cut it)...any & all mercy would simply cease to exist.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast