Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Black Friday kinda makes me sick - Page 5

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Friday kinda makes me sick

Default Re: Black Friday kinda makes me sick

I saw woman fist fighting over pajamas in wal-mart; blood shed. I will never go into a wal-mart on black friday again. I was shoved into a toy bin by a elderly woman and her husband. It was my first and last black friday experience. First I was at Toys R Us and people there were entirely civil--it kept my hopes high for other stores. I went across the street to Wal-Mart and it had been well over the capacity limit. There were no carts left. Boxes were tore open by adults. I felt sick over it. I said excuse me while I was leaving and a man was so paranoid that I was trying to take something he wanted, he had shoved me out of the way. Black friday was scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror.Mama View Post
    I saw woman fist fighting over pajamas in wal-mart; blood shed. I will never go into a wal-mart on black friday again. I was shoved into a toy bin by a elderly woman and her husband. It was my first and last black friday experience. First I was at Toys R Us and people there were entirely civil--it kept my hopes high for other stores. I went across the street to Wal-Mart and it had been well over the capacity limit. There were no carts left. Boxes were tore open by adults. I felt sick over it. I said excuse me while I was leaving and a man was so paranoid that I was trying to take something he wanted, he had shoved me out of the way. Black friday was scary.
    Sorry to hear you went through that, HorrorMama. Wal-Mart customers do seem to be the worst offenders. The store needs to recognize this and do things differently. I think they should have a system where you get a number online and that's it. No fighting in the aisles.

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    Sorry to hear you went through that, HorrorMama. Wal-Mart customers do seem to be the worst offenders. The store needs to recognize this and do things differently. I think they should have a system where you get a number online and that's it. No fighting in the aisles.
    What, and miss out on having videos posted on Youtube showing all of the mayhem, people-trampling, punching, shoving, etc. and garner all of that free publicity for the store? Oh, it'll never happen as it is the sane approach and lord knows that sane and retail management do not go hand in hand.

More Black Friday madness. Sigh. What's wrong with people?
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/c...bbery-15028377

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    More Black Friday madness. Sigh. What's wrong with people?
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/c...bbery-15028377
    I honestly don't think it is about bargains, I think people look on it as a sport and it's fun to them. Why else would you camp out overnight or destroy your Thanksgiving to save $200 on a TV? The hundred dollar TV is the prize and getting it is winning and not getting it is losing. You don't do this kind of thing unless it's fun to you.

I agree with fljoeO. My wife didn't camp out and she got exactly what she wanted during the mid morning and afternoon hours at all the stores she went to. She did her homework with the newspaper inserts/ads while I was watching football and cooking the turkey Wed. afternoon.

I find it hilarious that you get 100 people in line for the $200 TV when it says right in the newspaper insert that each store has "limited quantities and NO RAIN CHECKS!!!!!!"

Some folks just don't do their homework........

It gets worse every year-in our area stores were opening at 9 pm Thanksgiving evening and ofcourse "midnight madness". It's just my fiance and I in my family so our shopping is minimal, but I work in retail right now-that also gets worse every year: the rudeness, etc. At least it's almost over, just a little more to go!!

My husband decided we should experience Black Friday shopping a few years ago, so I reluctantly agreed. We got up early, headed to town, circled the parking lot for 15 minutes, walked a mile to the store, weaved our way through the crowd, didn't find 5 of the 6 things in the ad that we wanted, took the 1 thing we did find and finally worked our way to the check out. The lines were all the way to the back of the store. A very large store. At that point, we both decided that our time was worth more than the money saved, so we put the item back on the shelf, trekked back to the car and went to Perkin's to relax and eat breakfast.

I do despise Black Friday with a purple passion. For retail employees, it can be very scary dealing with tired, irate shoppers.
    Also, I never understood why people flock to the early bird sales like a herd migrating wildebeests.
    That said, I do have a nice story of Black Friday to share.

We opened our store at 3 a.m. on Friday. The Company CEO, was there at 2:30 with the rest of us. He is also the grandson of the man who started the department store chain, and a very nice guy, btw. He was there to give out gift cards to the first 250 shoppers who entered the store. The amoounts of the card range from $5 to $1,000.
    Anyway, we had some leather boots on sale for $20. A college student wanted a pair of them, but she and her roommate only had $15 between them.
    They figured that if they got a couple of their friends to wait in line with them, and each one received at least a $5 gift card, the girl could get one pair of boots.
    So, the girls, along with an out of work uncle and another friend are the first in line at 11 o'clock. As the doors are opened, and people are beginning to trample us in the shoe department, we hear loud cheering, and a girl screaming. Turns out, the uncle received the $1,000 gift card. He told her to buy all the boots she wanted. It was nice to see someone who actually needed a boost receive that card, and it lifted to overall spirit of the shoppers and the employees.

What people don't realize is most of the Black Friday deals are now online. There really isn't any need to go the store.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast