This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Friday kinda makes me sick

Default Re: Black Friday

Avoiding Black Friday like is was the Black Plague.

Skipping. I dislike the trend of stores making people come into work Thursday night. Not that my one little act of rebellion will make any difference ... but I'm doing it anyway.

I can understand the excitement of black friday,people wanting good deals,always looked on it with a somewhat jaundiced eye because it isn't my kind of thing,but whatever..but now it has extended to black Thanksgiving,with stores opening at 9PM on the holiday..I think that is shameful,there is one day that is set aside for family and giving thanks for what we have,and what have we allowed to happen?It's been twisted into a celebration of greed by the retailers wanting extra profits,and the public,greedy enough to leave their family and friends on that day,to buy STUFF..not too cool IMOP..

Humbug.

I'll be working on Black Friday. I don't work in retail, but the Sonic where I work is very close to mall so we will be insanely busy. If I do any shopping on Black Friday (and I probably will) it will be online.

..as an "Extra-Large" fella, I loathe being surrounded by cattle-like crowds...so I either go very late at night or shop on-line...keeps me from ending up in jail for kickin' their aisle blockin' arses outta my way...

See the "Black Friday makes me kinda sick" thread for my opinion...
    http://www.stephenking.com/forums/sh...-makes-me-sick

Black Friday should be banned!! Every year it starts earlier and earlier. My heart goes out to all of the retail associates who have to work, when they should be home with their families!! ( my BIL works for Walmart and has to work from 7:00 p.m. on Thursday until 5:00 a.m. in the morning.....that's insane) I will also be doing all of my shopping online....Black Friday crowds are awful!

(this video has nothing to do with this thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Skipping. I dislike the trend of stores making people come into work Thursday night. Not that my one little act of rebellion will make any difference ... but I'm doing it anyway.
    I should clarify that there is usually ONE THING I want on Black Friday. Like ... oh, one year it was really nice sheets. (I'm so exciting, I know.) Typically I hate shopping, so that's my big hoorah. The thought of an all-day shopping excursion sounds like the most exquisite torture to me. (Mainly because I begrudge the time, and the same crap is everywhere; I can unfortunately get lost in an antique mall or a book store or a thrift shop for hours because those venues are interesting to me.) Still, I do love a good deal, and I like early morning, so I'd always get up and out the door to get my sheets or whatever. But now, I just ... There aren't that many days that retail employees can count on having off. They work most holidays, and they hardly ever get weekends off, and their schedules change like mad, working 20 hours one week and 35 the next (but never enough to qualify for FT benefits, don'tcha know). Well, okay. Dems da breaks. But now they gotta come in on Thanksgiving? No. I'm done. I won't support that.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast