Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Black Friday kinda makes me sick - Page 8

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Friday kinda makes me sick

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Default Re: Black Friday

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ..as an "Extra-Large" fella, I loathe being surrounded by cattle-like crowds
    That's what they make beer for. Locate the Ruby Tuesdays in the mall before shopping. Of course, the down side is buying a whole bunch of stuff you really don't want.

I never heard it called Black Friday, but I do agree with all the setiments voiced here. Retailers get a big black mark for having no respect for a day that should not be spent in chasing the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    That's what they make beer for. Locate the Ruby Tuesdays in the mall before shopping. Of course, the down side is buying a whole bunch of stuff you really don't want.
    ...but buying a beer at Ruby's will take my whole Cristmas budget....

We're usually broke so Black Friday will be a normal work day in tech support for me, but hope to get cut loose early, and a day for my wife to sleep in if she doesn't have to go to work.

Good that we not have this Black Friday here in my country. Seems like people are
    crazy about shopping anyway, because Christmas is not far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    Skipping. I dislike the trend of stores making people come into work Thursday night. Not that my one little act of rebellion will make any difference ... but I'm doing it anyway.
    I was right there with you on this. Then I went into Target this weekend and asked three different people how they felt about working on Thanksgiving.

One said she didn't mind because by the time she had to be in all of the festivities were over so she wasn't missing anything and she could really use the money.

One said she was excited about the money.

One said she didn't mind at all. I asked her why and she said it just wasn't a big deal.

So now I'm torn. I'm wondering if the companies maybe should ask people if they want to work? I don't know. I'm really torn about the whole thing!

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

I think Black Fridays are crazy and a sign of peoples' greediness. I'd rather stay home in bed. There's nothing I need so bad that I have to get up at 5am just to be in the stores at 6am...anyways, the stores are opening on Thursday evenings now...so that's just beautiful...having dinner and being thankful that you're together with your family and for what you have and then you're like-Ok! Let's go shopping!!.......??? I tell my family I don't understand a lot of people here in the US-they complain they have not enough money to pay their bills or bring food to the table, yet they have plenty when it comes to buying junk items...peoples priorities are really out of whack. I say in the US because I live here and I don't know if they have Black Fridays in other countries.

Freemansburg PA, sort of near Philadelphia

For about ten years (until they went out of business), I worked part-time at KB Toys, and I actually LOVED working on Black Friday. We had to be there around 4:30 am if I recall correctly, and I would work until 4 in the afternoon. Sure there were a handful of rotten people pushing and complaining and griping, but most people seemed genuinely happy that day. They are smiling and laughing and cheery. I think it's all about perspective - not just Black Friday, but the whole season. People get caught up in how the season is ruined by the greed of others and the commercialization of the holiday that they completely miss the fact that 90% of what's going on is wonderful!

I love Christmas, btw, if you didn't pick up on that

Default Re: Black Friday kinda makes me sick

Quote Originally Posted by bryras View Post
    John,

Thank you for sharing. I guess I should have looked into it before posting up there Yes, it does seem fitting!
    I learned that Black Friday was named such because it's when the retailers went from red ink to black in the accounting books. At least that's what I was told in my years of working retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    I was right there with you on this. Then I went into Target this weekend and asked three different people how they felt about working on Thanksgiving.

One said she didn't mind because by the time she had to be in all of the festivities were over so she wasn't missing anything and she could really use the money.

One said she was excited about the money.

One said she didn't mind at all. I asked her why and she said it just wasn't a big deal.

So now I'm torn. I'm wondering if the companies maybe should ask people if they want to work? I don't know. I'm really torn about the whole thing!
    I guess I can see that. They have their own shopping to do as well ... Still, I've already committed to my bed Friday morning this year, and I hate to break a date; it's so rude.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast