Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Black Friday kinda makes me sick - Page 9

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday kinda makes me sick

Default Re: Black Friday kinda makes me sick

I don't understand why they have sales before Christmas - surely people are buying anyway? In Britain the sales are in January.

Default Re: Black Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Vose View Post
    For about ten years (until they went out of business), I worked part-time at KB Toys, and I actually LOVED working on Black Friday. We had to be there around 4:30 am if I recall correctly, and I would work until 4 in the afternoon. Sure there were a handful of rotten people pushing and complaining and griping, but most people seemed genuinely happy that day. They are smiling and laughing and cheery. I think it's all about perspective - not just Black Friday, but the whole season. People get caught up in how the season is ruined by the greed of others and the commercialization of the holiday that they completely miss the fact that 90% of what's going on is wonderful!

I love Christmas, btw, if you didn't pick up on that
    I actually don't mind Black Friday itself. It's not the crowds that make me hate shopping; it's the unending *shoppingness* of it all. Crowds, eh. Every other person around you is trying to get the same things you're getting; why do we each think we're so special that we deserve a clear path? I just am not feeling the Thursday thing. Seriously. It's one day a year. Can't we just be thankful for what we have for one entire day? Thinking back on my days in retail, I probably would have been okay with coming in. But I was young and dumb, too. Now the things I cherish aren't *things*. (Except my Breville mixer; that rocks.)

I loved Black Friday when I was in college back in the Dark Ages.

Now I won't be caught dead near a mall the day after Thanksgiving.

I worked in retail (in a high-end department store in a busy part of L.A.) long enough to know that a certain kind of shopper emerges only during the holidays, and they seem to make their first appearance in public on Black Friday. They're looking for the absolute best deal possible on exactly what they have in mind, and they will stop at nothing to get it. They will crowd registers; rush sales associates BEHIND the register, even with security cameras trained to the area; become belligerent to other customers waiting in line when they don't get their way; become loud, nasty, and verbally abusive when they don't get what they want, even when the store manager is summoned; and in general make a sales associate consider risking their job and freedom by bringing an illegal gun to work - and displaying it on their person. This kind of Dale Carnegie flunkie is every sales associate's nightmare come to life.

I shop mom-'n-pop stores, antique malls, and online now. I truly have a hard time with crowds (and parking lots) during the holidays. People lose their minds this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    I guess I can see that. They have their own shopping to do as well ... Still, I've already committed to my bed Friday morning this year, and I hate to break a date; it's so rude.
    I have never experienced Black Friday from a shopper's point of view. But working in retail for years I have learned to shop right after all the sales have ended. The stores seem to clear out. I may be doing that this year, if only to escape my in-laws!

I work retail and am so not looking forward to this again. I think it's sickening that some retailers are now starting the sale at 8 pm Thursday. What the heck has happened to our society where it's more important to get a good 'deal' on something than spend time with our families? I long for the days when we all sat down at the table: parents, kids and grandparents and just ate and talked and laughed, never worrying that we weren't going to get the new X-Box, or whatever. Sheesh!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    I was right there with you on this. Then I went into Target this weekend and asked three different people how they felt about working on Thanksgiving.

One said she didn't mind because by the time she had to be in all of the festivities were over so she wasn't missing anything and she could really use the money.

One said she was excited about the money.

One said she didn't mind at all. I asked her why and she said it just wasn't a big deal.

So now I'm torn. I'm wondering if the companies maybe should ask people if they want to work? I don't know. I'm really torn about the whole thing!
    What was the age bracket of the three that you asked? I bet they were on the younger side. Those in my age bracket (40-50) hate the thought of working on Thanksgiving night. Luckily, my store won't be doing that, and I feel bad for those employees who have to come in after turkey dinner, and I refuse to be one of the shopping 'zombies' that will be out there shopping.

Not for me. I would sooner chew my foot off.

The ridiculous Black Friday sale hours, some now starting before midnight on Thanksgiving, help to ensure that their employees can't spend a relaxing Thanksgiving with their families. Many companies say they care about their employees, but in almost every case, it comes down to the bottom line. If they can make more money, they'll do it. It takes increased revenue to keep people on the payroll, true, but they need to give their employees a break and let them have a nice holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tery View Post
    Not for me. I would sooner chew my foot off.
    ...there are those willing to do that for the latest video game console....

I don't do Black Friday. Yep, I'm a hater...

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast