Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Fair Extension...Could YOU do it? - Page 3

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fair Extension...Could YOU do it?

Default Re: Fair Extension...Could YOU do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Srbo View Post
    Maybe then I didn`t understand this part...
    Or maybe you are choosing to misunderstand what I wrote. The fact they are in your life doesn't mean they have to be friends. After all, do you "hate" your friends? I know I don't. Streeter chose his best friend, but that was not part of Elvids specification, as you quoted he said "It has to be someone you hate." People can be involved in your personal life for many reasons, and friendship isn't the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    Or maybe you are choosing to misunderstand what I wrote. The fact they are in your life doesn't mean they have to be friends. After all, do you "hate" your friends? I know I don't. Streeter chose his best friend, but that was not part of Elvids specification, as you quoted he said "It has to be someone you hate." People can be involved in your personal life for many reasons, and friendship isn't the only one.
    No, God no.
    May I please ask why you take everything so personal lately?
    I`m just discussing the story here, trying to understand what Steve meant, and it`s a rather interesting discussion.
    Not for one moment I thought about discrediting your thoughts and stands which are highly valued.
    Please don`t make this personal, cause it isn`t.

Quote Originally Posted by Srbo View Post
    No, God no.
    May I please ask why you take everything so personal lately?
    I`m just discussing the story here, trying to understand what Steve meant, and it`s a rather interesting discussion.
    Not for one moment I thought about discrediting your thoughts and stands which are highly valued.
    Please don`t make this personal, cause it isn`t.
    When you quote me in your response then I take that personally...the same way if I quote someone I am responding to them personally. Like now.

Time to let it drop, please, or take it to a private discussion.

No, I don't have anyone that I hate enough to do that too, and I don't think I could live with myself if I did. But then again, I ain't over yet.

I know it sounds awful, and I really had to think about it. I know it is theoretical, and who knows what would really happen if someone REALLY asked us, right? All I am saying, in that situation, there is someone that I could transfer all my pain and suffering to, and I WOULD sit back and call it karma, too. I am not saying it's right, but wasn't that the point of the whole book? It takes us to our darker side, that other side we don't like to face. Through reading these stories, I faced that I think I could do it. And I know who I would do it to. I don't blame this person for ALL the bad in my life, but they were a part of some of it, and yeah, I am woman enough to say I could do with some revenge.

I do, however, wish I were a nicer person, and could say, naaahhh

Hmmmmmm....let me get this straight....my pecker gets bigger....some dude that I hate, his pecker shrinks...hmmmmm...YEP! Hahaha....seriously, yes I would do it.

(and no, I'm not insecure about my size, I just want the guy I hate to be. That's how I roll!)

I typically think of myself as a "good" person (whatever that means), but as I read this story, I thought "Why is this such a bad thing?". I'm a big believer in "bad" people getting theirs in the end, a la Karma or whatever you call it. Some people wait for God to dole out punishments. However, it's interesting to think of being able to see instand results. And you know, I could do this. In a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I know some people that I would gladly sit by & watch as their lives turned into a living nightmare. It wouldn't even bother me to see their friends & relatives hurt as well. Guess I'm not as good as I thought as was, and maybe someone wants to do this to me. Heh

I can't think of anyone deserving in my life. But I'd point out to the deal-maker that Dick Cheney has affected my personal life. I think I could make quite a good case of it, too. So... maybe.
    The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect/The way you live, the gifts that you give/In the fullness of time/It's the only return that you expect

If the question is simply as stated -- could you make that decision? -- then I think Giant's point is fair. But in the context of the story, Streeter was not allowed to choose a specific monster upon whom to visit Elvid's particular gift. He tried it, only partially in jest, but it was deemed a cop out in the same way that I feel Giant's answer is kind of a cop out. Sure, we'd have no compunction about bringing the hammer down upon strangers we perceive as evil (or levi . . . I guess . . . if we want to encourage the cutesy name thing . . . which I hope we don't), and probably not feel the least remorse. But that's really a different question. The complete indifference to extended and arbitrary suffering that you, yourself, author for no valid reason simply cannot be equated with the reasoned execution of well-recognized monstrosity.

It's apples and oranges.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast