This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Fair Extension...Could YOU do it?

Default Re: Fair Extension...Could YOU do it?

Nope, I couldn't do it. Not even to my evil ex Husband. lol

Everyone who has posted has missed the rather grim point of this excellent story.

Streeter doesn't 'do' anything to his friend/enemy. As the rather secular devil makes clear, all this heaviness is coming towards someone. The scales have to be kept in balance. If Streeter does NOT make the deal, the full quantum of misery - obviously not in exactly the same form, but equal in devastating effect - will descend on HIS family, HIS wife, and HIS children.

So what would you do? Let your loved ones suffer or shift it to someone else? Most of us would probably protect our own.

And that's the point.

I thought about this long and hard. Yes, it does appear as if Streeter and his family will not be finding themselves at the short end of the stick.

I started to image a scenario of what Tom, and his family's life would have looked life if Streeter had never been a part of it.

Streeter very much helped make the life Tom, and the effects on his family member's lives, possible.

First. Streeter was the individual who was responsible for Tom's educational success (by doing the work necessary for Tom to graduate).

Second. Even though much sympathy is shown for Tom and his family, (and they deserve it) lets face it, he was supposed to be Streeter's best friend and he stole his girlfriend, a girlfriend Streeter had genuine feelings for, and probably was imagining a future life with. It appears that Tom rationalized this by the old, "It just happened. We fell in love."

Third. Streeter did intervene and push for Tom to get the necessary funding that eventually led to Tom's extremely successful business.

I don't remember reading how Tom ever reciprocated to Streeter for everything he had done for him.

Tom would brag to people about how his best friend Streeter was responsible for a large part of the happy life he was living, but did Tom ever try to reciprocate in any way? I could not find any reciprocity at all. It also appeared that Tom shoved that expensive beer in Streeter's face whenever the occasion called for it.

Maybe what is happening to Tom is his life is playing out now what it would have been like if there was never a Streeter in the first place. Or, it is possible that Tom's life would have played out in a very similar fashion, before he was cursed, if he: First, did not steal Streeter's girlfriend, thus being a real best friend and eventually finding another woman; second, if he reciprocated to Streeter in some fashion for making it possible for Tom to graduate and move forward; and third, if he somehow rewarded Sreeter for making it possible to obtain the necessary financing that allowed him to be so successful and wealthy.

I don't condone what happened to Tom and his family, but to be honest, I can understand why Streeter despised him. Tom appeared as very arrogant and very unappreciative of everything Streeter did for him. In my opinion, both of these men are bad. That said, could I do the same thing to someone who I feel wronged me as severely as Tom did? In all honesty, I would have to say yes. Maybe the life Streeter is living is the life he should have lived if Tom had been more of a so-called best friend way back when.

I kind of look at everything that transpired as Karmic payback that Tom is primarily responsible for. Unfortunately, Streeter lost his humanity, which will come back to bite him one day also.

Quote Originally Posted by Genuine Realist View Post
    Everyone who has posted has missed the rather grim point of this excellent story.

Streeter doesn't 'do' anything to his friend/enemy. As the rather secular devil makes clear, all this heaviness is coming towards someone. The scales have to be kept in balance. If Streeter does NOT make the deal, the full quantum of misery - obviously not in exactly the same form, but equal in devastating effect - will descend on HIS family, HIS wife, and HIS children.

So what would you do? Let your loved ones suffer or shift it to someone else? Most of us would probably protect our own.

And that's the point.
    Guess that's one way of shirking responsibility for your own actions.

Streeter did cause what happened to his friend, he made the choice to place all that suffering on his friends family. The fact he seemed to take pleasure from his friends downfall made his decision even worse. Had he demonstrated regret once he realised the consequences of his "choice" then I could have empathised with him, but instead he enjoyed watching the pain and suffering caused, making him a despicable/loathsome character.

I didn't miss the point of this story at all--as I'm sure "everyone who has posted" didn't--so don't presume to know what others think. We are all capable of/entitled to form our own theories/conclusions from what we read.

Quote Originally Posted by Genuine Realist View Post

And that's the point.
    Streeter did plenty. He snuck into his friend's medicine and snuck a pill. He then delivered that pill to the Devil. In almost every evil spell I have ever read about in a story, the person who wants the spell cast has to produce some item that belongs to the victim: a pill, a comb, an article of clothing, a lock of hair, or a fingernail. Streeter gave the witch doctor the ingredients: hate and something to stir in that cauldron.

How can the assumption be made that Streeter's family would suffer what Tom's did? Only Streeter was dying, and out of his selfishness came more misery than would have followed his own death. He secretly relished it, too. By the end of the story, he had justified the economy of his prosperous life killing the happiness of another. And he wanted more.

We see it all the time, though, don't we? Maybe not to the extreme in the story, but isn't "The Me-Generation" a part of the lexicon? We are stardust, we are golden, and we got to get ourselves, back to the garden. I can't sing worth a darn. Good thing we don't have audio here. I dunno why this thought popped into my head, but I'll go with it--say like the parent who arranges w/the teachers, the school board, maybe even the coaches and the janitor, to place obstacles in the path of that student who isn't college bound, so as their kid's path to valedictorian is paved and free of pot holes.

Obstacles is a scary thought. Knew this guy who told me, "well, we can pray to place obstacles..." and here he began to trail off his words, maybe because my jaw dropped...and then he continued, "...in someone's path...hedges." I got the drift.

Remember that line, "Better him than me." Full-Metal Jacket, was it? If stories are metaphors for the way we think, act, do, then haven't we all, god bless us, everyone, made the same decision Streeter made, albeit, with a bit of coaxing from that happy Santa with the sharp teeth?

Tom never had a clue, did he? But then, too, how'd he get to be in the position where he becomes the object of Streeter's long-anticipated glee? Ha! Harry Crews has this story, The Knockout Artist, a metaphor I know (he told us) for the world, the sensation a person has at the misfortunes of another, usually the kind of glee one ought to be ashamed about--laughing at that guy who just took a dive into the cold icy water pooled up between the quads. This guy loses another fight, his trainer--someone who'd been like a father to him--comes into the locker-room and tells him he can't even knock himself out. So what happens? He cold-cocks himself, knocks himself out, and a star is born.

I have to admit, yes, I would do it. However, it seemed to me that Stephen made the victim of the fair extension unlikeable (maybe to keep him (Stephen) or Dave Streeter from feeling totally guilty). I felt myself secretly cheering whenever something negative happened to the victim of this deal. In a number of Stephen King's interviews, he has said that he often writes about unpleasant things because he believes that way, they won't happen to him or his family. Also, in the epilogue of Full Dark, No Stars, I believe he said that he writes about terrible and unforgivable things that people think about and/or would possibly do, but they just won't admit to it. I totally believe this and it took me aback to read that he actually wrote it in the book to his Constant Readers.

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

No, there is no one that I hate that much & I don't seek revenge on people. Those that have hurt me have paid their dues, but through no ill wishing or praying on my part.

Gawd knows I wished it on folks often enough. I think this story was very funny. Uncle Steve left no stone unturned.....he really put a pox on all their houses. I bet he had a hilarious time writing this story

This one kinda reminded me of Thinner......just sayin'

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast