This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The One Hundred and Twelfth

Default Re: The One Hundred and Twelfth

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Just posted a comment in this thread that addresses my feelings about that. BIG, HUGE difference between suppressing free speech and being ethically responsible for what is said when exercising that right.
    I had a quote concerning that same issue. Sometimes the inflammatory speech gets out of control, but I don't think anyone advocating for the suppression free speech realizes that they will be suppressing their OWN speech, too.

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/sh...ty-quot/page14

Who is advocating for suppressing free speech? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the definition you're assigning to the word. When I hear the word suppress used in that context, what I think of is people not being allowed to speak. Is that what you mean? What I would like to see is the media and politicians speaking in a way in which they are able to get a point across without resorting to personal remarks that are clearly designed to inflame and hit emotional hot buttons. For example, instead of saying the liberals or conservatives (depending upon the situation) are trying to do this or that with proposed legislation, they could instead reference the part of the bill that they object to or support and give the specific reasons for it. It is possible to say, I don't like this because I feel it will add to our debt and hopefully have some data to back up that argument. It really is not necessary to add, and if it's passed the liberals are one step closer to bankrupting our country. The liberals could make their arguments in a similar fashion without making it personal against a conservative viewpoint. I'd be a lot more willing to listen to what they have to say and would appreciate being treated like a grownup who can form opinions based on facts. If I want to inject my emotions in the privacy of my own home, only my partner has to put up with my talking to the television or the computer. He's gotten used to my yelling at the TV.

He's gotten used to my yelling at the TV.
    Hi,

Soft fluffy pom-poms for throwing at TV much recommended!

Long days and pleasant nights

No TV or computer has been harmed (yet). We do avoid the political pundit shows, though, as it's not only good for the TV but our relationship as we aren't always on the same page when it comes to politics. When we were first dating again a decade or so ago, he was a Bill O'Reilly viewer. I watched with him for a while (quietly) but finally couldn't take it anymore so would just go out of the room to do something else when it was on. When he mentioned it, I told him I didn't want to spend my time watching an arrogant, egotistic, rude a*hole. I don't think he was patronizing me when he agreed with me and stopped watching it, too.

Who is advocating for suppressing free speech? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the definition you're assigning to the word. When I hear the word suppress used in that context, what I think of is people not being allowed to speak. Is that what you mean? What I would like to see is the media and politicians speaking in a way in which they are able to get a point across without resorting to personal remarks that are clearly designed to inflame and hit emotional hot buttons. For example, instead of saying the liberals or conservatives (depending upon the situation) are trying to do this or that with proposed legislation, they could instead reference the part of the bill that they object to or support and give the specific reasons for it. It is possible to say, I don't like this because I feel it will add to our debt and hopefully have some data to back up that argument. It really is not necessary to add, and if it's passed the liberals are one step closer to bankrupting our country. The liberals could make their arguments in a similar fashion without making it personal against a conservative viewpoint. I'd be a lot more willing to listen to what they have to say and would appreciate being treated like a grownup who can form opinions based on facts. If I want to inject my emotions in the privacy of my own home, only my partner has to put up with my talking to the television or the computer. He's gotten used to my yelling at the TV.
    I misunderstood your message before. Instead of calling for legislation that would prohibit inflammatory speech, you are suggesting that self-censorship is the proper course. I though you were calling for government intervention. My apologies.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by CorbinKale View Post
    I had a quote concerning that same issue. Sometimes the inflammatory speech gets out of control, but I don't think anyone advocating for the suppression free speech realizes that they will be suppressing their OWN speech, too.

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/sh...ty-quot/page14
    And some of the loudest that rail they are afraid of losing they're free speech, are the very ones who would take it away from others in the name of a "patriotism", that they believe they only seem to have.
    They're the ones that view the world in stark black & white, with no desire and/or capability, to see any shades of gray.
    Phrases such as, "Take Back Our Country", and ironically, one of my true personal favorites that I've always actually liked, "Accept the consequences of your actions", come to mind when identifying many of 'em.
    Mighty strange world sometimes idnit?

Ahhh...I get it. No I was not suggesting more (or reenacting) legislation to regulate this. I would much prefer that people do this on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    I'm not "pinning" anything "on" Palin, she has the right to say whatever she wants, and I'll defend her right to do so, as I have the right to exclaim, that I believe she has at least some culpability in promoting an atmosphere, helping cause the death of a nine year old, who was interested in politics because she wanted to help people at that tender young age...period!
    Now am I right, well I think so, but then who really cares, but I will say this, I can make a better argument of that, than she can about practically anything that has come out of her mouth since she hit the national stage.
    Corbin, you & I "argue", and I know you enjoy it as much as me, but Palin doesn't even "debate", she expounds a philosophic rhetoric, she herself doesn't even comprehend...she's part shock jock, part talkin' monkey, and she's been cashing in slingin' her feces wherever an organ grinder with a tin cup can be found.
    This "politician" has never looked at a big picture in her life, unless she was in it, and looking glorious.
    She obviously hasn't any problem labeling a fellow snot, who puts out our most secret, basically secret gossip, online, a terrorist, based on what she's been told by bigger thinkers than she's capable, of what might happen (as all this far right rhetoric always is, a warning of what might happen, that is if all of us stupid morons don't listen and be afraid, be very afraid!...yeah well, look at us now), but our Sarah will not say, 'Hey, some folks are really actually dead, this isn't a what if, a what could happen, this is real, so maybe I should do a re-think and just maybe tone down my moneymaker"...oh no, she has her rights, as terrorizing as they are, big or small, intentional or not...talk about the very definition of distasteful!
    She isn't "just another politician", she's an inflammatory hateful sideshow with her very own nationally broadcast spotlight, with no real allegiance to anyone other than herself, her bank account, and illusions of pop politico grandeur...in other words, a freak show in the, they ain't no biz like showbiz, parlance...successful at it, oh yes, but a freak show none the less.
    Step right up, see little idjit, she walks, she talks smack, she'll snag your thin dime and then ask for a dollar!!!

My new favorite administration is growing by leaps and bounds. Tery for President. Ms. Mod as VP and PatintheHat as Secretary of State. I'm liking it!

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    Step right up, see little idjit, she walks, she talks smack, she'll snag your thin dime and then ask for a dollar!!
    Hi,

Ah, but does she crawl on her belly like a reptile?

Long dsays and pleasant nights

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDalglish View Post
    Hi,

Ah, but does she crawl on her belly like a reptile?

Long dsays and pleasant nights
    Cost ya double sawbuck, minimum (oh, that's a X X dollar bill).

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast