This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Casting News

Default Re: Official Casting News

well...

I wasn't really happy about Bardem as one possibility to play Roland first, cause he got too much of a bad guy for me (what's with Mortensen and LOTR is Bardem and No country for old men IMHO, but I think you can't find an established actor and not referring him to one previous role he had.) but the more I think about Bardem as Roland, the more I think "Let's see how it works."

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Germany View Post
    well...

I wasn't really happy about Bardem as one possibility to play Roland first, cause he got too much of a bad guy for me (what's with Mortensen and LOTR is Bardem and No country for old men IMHO, but I think you can't find an established actor and not referring him to one previous role he had.) but the more I think about Bardem as Roland, the more I think "Let's see how it works."
    I think that Viggo Mortensen does not have enough "bad guy" in him to pull off Roland. Remember, Roland is not a feel good happy go lucky hero. There is a lot of "bad guy" in Roland. He is partly a cold blooded killer. (Just look at The Battle of Tull)
    I don't think Viggo Mortsen (or any other actor) can pull of the "cold blooded killer" aspect of Roland the Gunslinger's character.
    after seeing Javier Bardem play Anton Chignuh in "No Country For Old Men" I realized that he can pull off being a cold blooded killer and be believable. (IMO I think that Viggo Mortensen playing a cold blooded killer gunslinger would be a joke!)

Well, as far as I can remember, I've never actually joined a forum for....well, for anything (lol). However, I've enjoyed the DT books for years, and when I recently heard that Javier Bardem was offered the role of Roland, all of my anticipation for the project just dropped. So, I decided to go ahead and throw my opinion out there with hopes that Stephen and the powers that be are reading these boards and might take the fans' opinions into account (naive, I guess). Anyway, my message?

PLEASE RECONSIDER AND CAST SOMEONE WHO PHYSICALLY FITS THE ROLE and IS A GREAT ACTOR!

Of course, I always pictured someone like Clint Eastwood in the role, and I know that it's not reasonable to attempt to cast him at his age. And I know that in the scheme of things, it's very lame that I'm this involved (sorry, Japan). However, I've spent hours and hours reading and re-reading these books, checking out Dark Tower resources, and even reading the graphic novels, and I'm just so disappointed in this decision. This story is just a really great one to me, and I personally identify with it. What about Daniel Day Lewis or Jim Caviezel, for your father's sake?

On a somewhat related note, I heard that Susannah may not even be black...umm, really? What, exactly, is going on with the casting of this project?!?! It seems that someone has forgotten the face of his father (lol). Anyway, I'm sure it's already a done deal, but I do wish they'd reconsider and check out all of the fan sites out there to see that most people think these decisions stink...

Sam Elliott would be perfect for the role of Roland!! And that voice-- very distinctive!!!

I saw him...young Roland, maybe, but the search continues.
    don't laugh, but I was thinking Scott Glenn is now grizzled enough to portray Long Tall n Ugly. He gives a bitchin piercing glare (needs blue contacts, tho), he's attractive, but no matinee idol..PLUS he can act..
    Thoughts?

I'm sure whomever is picked to play Roland will be great but I must admit that Hugh Jackman would be an awesome Roland.

Rumours are abound at the moment. My friend has just emailed me to tell me that she has heard Nicholas Cage will be playing Walter (or Man in Black if you prefer) and Deborah someone from Dexter will be playing Susannah, do hope she's means Susan otherwise bit of a colour issue going on there.

On both counts I do hope she is wrong and hopefully she is just getting me back for boring her senseless about how great the next three years are going to be.

Has anyone considered Luke Perry for a gunslinger? I liked him in "Goodnight for Justice" and "A Gunfighter's Pledge." I think he could play any part under the direction of R. Howard.

While it might just end up being weird, they could pull a TRON and use a CGI caricature of Eastwood when he was younger...he's really the only person i visualize as Roland, especially since King went out of his way to say that was his inspiration as well....Does Eastwood have a kid?

Quote Originally Posted by chucknorris101 View Post
    While it might just end up being weird, they could pull a TRON and use a CGI caricature of Eastwood when he was younger...he's really the only person i visualize as Roland, especially since King went out of his way to say that was his inspiration as well....Does Eastwood have a kid?
    He does, but it's a daughter that I recall....

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast