This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Thread: Official Casting News

Default Re: Official Casting News

There was also this article: http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/news/159030/

"Ron Howard and Brian Grazer have been seeking funding for their Dark Tower project at the Cannes Film Festival."

Maybe that's where this Silicon Valley investor came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Interesting...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/cann...y-white-whale/

After getting rejected by two studios on an ambitious multi-platform treatment of Stephen Kingís seminal novel series The Dark Tower, Grazer, Howard, Akiva Goldsman and King streamlined their original ambition to adapt nine volumes into three features and two limited-run TV series. Now, Media Rights Capital is committed to make a single movie with Russell Crowe as the gunslinger Roland Deschain, with more movies coming if the first gets results. This isnít set in stone, as Grazer tells me that he has just been approached by a Silicon Valley investor willing to finance Dark Tower as originally constructed, Now itís a matter of deciding what path to take.
    I think this is the most sensible route to go with DT. If they start with the first book, and concentrate on that, maybe weaving in hints of things to come--that sounds like the way to roll. Wouldn't really need a huge budget, really--hell, SHOULDN'T have a big budget. The material doesn't call for it. All you really need is a desert, some stock western town sets, stuff like that. Sounds like they might try making an actual FILM, instead of a BIG BUDGET MULTI-MOVIE BACK TO BACK CGI POPCORN fest, you know? If they focus on the performances, the dialogue, the mystery (oh GOD, the mystery of that first book! I remember reading it for the first time, thinking, "GOD, what IS this? I must have more!), instead of trying to create the next BIG BUDGET FRANCISE--blah, nobody wants one of those.

Not sure about Crussel Rowe, though--he's alright, I guess. Good actor. Better drop some pounds if he's gonna play LONG TALL and UGLY.

I rather like this development.
    Last edited by muskrat; May 20th, 2013 at 04:49 PM.

This "one movie at a time" option makes me less nervous than the "whole enchilada" approach. If they can land a big star like Russell Crowe in the title role that will give the movie a better chance of opening big. Let's face it, The Dark Tower books are even marginalized in the Stephen King community--they are often the only books that many Stephen King fans haven't gotten around to reading yet. So I think for these movies to succeed, they have to be more than just faithful to the novels, they need to be able to stand on their own to those unfamiliar with the whole Dark Tower mythos.

I'll take any forward progress as good news at this point...I gave up waiting for that Spielberg Talisman movie, ya know?

Hey, if it's good enough for Mr. King, it works for me...

Quote Originally Posted by fushingfeef View Post
    Let's face it, The Dark Tower books are even marginalized in the Stephen King community--they are often the only books that many Stephen King fans haven't gotten around to reading yet.
    Well, they're not horror, which Mr. King is known for, and they're not not from an established fantasy author, so they're kinda in genre-reader limbo.

His name does not ring any bells for me. Of course, I don't watch TV...at all. I rarely go to the movies either, I wait till stuff comes out on DVD unless it's something like LOTR.

He looks okay until he smiles. I don't see Roland with a smile like that. His eyes are also a bit gentler than I'd expect to see Roland have but if he can act then I'm sure he'd have that covered.

I just can't help but see 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly' Eastwood as Roland. v.v Oh well, everyone has to grow older.

A younger Robert Downey Jr. would have made a great Eddy Dean. Like when he played the roll of Billy Covington in Air America. Which is a great movie, imo.

Oh..or John Cusack...he would have made a great Eddie Dean.

...and now I need to go watch Being John Malkovitch. ^__^

Russell Crowe is a way better choice than Javier Bardem IMHO. Crowe is much more rugged (the movie 300?!) I keep thinking about Bardem in Vicki Christina Barcelona and getting a tad grossed out! I think Crowe has more of an innate sense of Roland's character.

I am writing this because I want Stephen King to read it. I know in my heart he will. I am sure Stephen, you've heard this a million times, but, I am the real Gunslinger. I know you are looking for the real one. I am the Gunslinger and the Dark Tower for me is a woman we'll call Susie. I am immortal and have been chasing her for eons. I was even encouraged to keep doing this for even more eons by some "spiritual advisor." Well, I want to stop the cycle. Everytime I get her, I'm in the top floor of the Dark Tower, and my life starts all over again. This time I am going to stand. I am going to be tru. The truth is, I do love her unconditionally, even though she was very evil to me (I'm stopping short of calling her evil in general). However, there is another woman in my life, who I have fallen in love with, who has the same name. I am going to reveal my feelings for her tomorrow. I can't seem to stop my love for the original Susie mentioned. But I don't want to keep repeating the same destiny over and over. I can't, CAN'T quit her, to borrow a line from "Brokeback Mountain." This newer woman, may do it however. If you have any advice, to your Gunslinger, as to how I can escape, please let me know. One more thing. I hope that you don't say, "The choice is yours." As, I assume, it really is the Gunslinger's choice, and I realize I may be "writing" your next DT story based on my actions. Please help, signed, The Gunslinger, Your Chosen One.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I am writing this because I want Stephen King to read it. I know in my heart he will. I am sure Stephen, you've heard this a million times, but, I am the real Gunslinger. I know you are looking for the real one. I am the Gunslinger and the Dark Tower for me is a woman we'll call Susie. I am immortal and have been chasing her for eons. I was even encouraged to keep doing this for even more eons by some "spiritual advisor." Well, I want to stop the cycle. Everytime I get her, I'm in the top floor of the Dark Tower, and my life starts all over again. This time I am going to stand. I am going to be tru. The truth is, I do love her unconditionally, even though she was very evil to me (I'm stopping short of calling her evil in general). However, there is another woman in my life, who I have fallen in love with, who has the same name. I am going to reveal my feelings for her tomorrow. I can't seem to stop my love for the original Susie mentioned. But I don't want to keep repeating the same destiny over and over. I can't, CAN'T quit her, to borrow a line from "Brokeback Mountain." This newer woman, may do it however. If you have any advice, to your Gunslinger, as to how I can escape, please let me know. One more thing. I hope that you don't say, "The choice is yours." As, I assume, it really is the Gunslinger's choice, and I realize I may be "writing" your next DT story based on my actions. Please help, signed, The Gunslinger, Your Chosen One.
    Stephen doesn't read all of the posts so may or may not see this but I don't think he is the right person to give you the help you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Stephen doesn't read all of the posts so may or may not see this but I don't think he is the right person to give you the help you need.

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast