This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it a Good Read?

Default Re: Is it a Good Read?

This took me year to read due to lack of time but it was so gripping when I did pick it up, I didnt want to put it down. Like SK books everything always gets more gripping about 1/4 the way in.... the story writing it brilliant. I have heard that they are going to pick this up as a TV show which I can't wait.

I'm glad to learn that some fans did like the book, because I just bought french translation of UTD which comes in 2 tomes actually. I don't mind very long stories, as long as they are ''page turners''. I'm currently re-reading John Jakes's North and South saga ( over 1500 pages all 3 books in just one), so big novels are not scaring me at all.

It is an excellent book. That being said, it isn't always a book you will enjoy. There is a type of coffee that is made from a bean that some type of small, furry animal consumes and then passes out the other end. Why people want to drink rodent-poo coffee is still a mystery to me, but reading this book gives you a good perspective on what it must be like to be that coffee bean. You feel used, abused, and dirty. I had a very similar experience when I read Pet Semetary, which is (in my opinion) one of his truly scariest books. You feel unclean when you get to the end of it. Sai King never blinks in his honest approach. The light he shines on the cockroaches of humanity and indeed the darker side of human nature that all of has is bright and unforgiving. It is a book worth reading, but be aware that it will run you through an emotional equivalent of a small, furry animal's bowels.

I agree, it's a real page turner, a brilliant book and in my view one of his best. Definately not disappointed, but I found it very depressing to read, and theres bits that I tried to skip over when I read it again. So yeah,great book but very upsetting in places, its the only SK book i've ever read that has made me cry.

I really liked the book. I thought it had an easy flow with the storyline. I was able to read it in a week, so it pretty muck keeps your interest. I agree it's not his greatest work, but it's a good story.

Sometimes when you're considering attacking such a huge novel it can be daunting, but UTD moves really fast and the characters - as always - are quirky enough to hold your attention, and the story is, of course, intricate but not so much that you become bored. And, of course, you choose your favourite characters as soon as you begin reading and, therefore, you get involved in the unfolding drama quickly. I'm sure you've read it by now, seeing as I'm only offering my opinion in June. Let us know what you thought about it!! We're all curious, I'm sure!!

A GREAT read! One of King's best in my opinion, right up there with Pet Sematary and Dreamcatcher (my two personal favourites).

Hi, this is my first message on this forum. I have just bought Serbian version and it has 780 pages, I'm not sure is the difference about font or something else. Anyway, I'm not a constant King's reader so I can't be objective. I just hope that I will like it...

Hi, I have just bought a Serbian edition of this book. I'm not a constant reader, just hope that I will like it. By the way, I don't understand how is possible that this translated edition has ''only'' 780 and I've read here that it has over 1000?

Quote Originally Posted by Truman View Post
    Hi, I have just bought a Serbian edition of this book. I'm not a constant reader, just hope that I will like it. By the way, I don't understand how is possible that this translated edition has ''only'' 780 and I've read here that it has over 1000?
    Page count can vary greatly depending on the font style, size, and the size of the paper that was used to print the book.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast