This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: gunslinger -- safe thread for first time readers. safe and spoiler-free!

Default Re: gunslinger -- safe thread for first time readers. safe and spoiler-free!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Munchkin View Post
    I just can't get into this whole DT lovefest. It seems like a lot of fantesy stuff to me -- I won't read anything about Harry Potter either. And...I don't wear fairy wings for Halloween. Seems like a lot of hoopla over nothing special. Convience me that a looksee is warranted.
    Heh. Why should we try to convince you of anything? It suffices to say that the entire series is full of that "fantasy stuff" and if anything beyond the realm of your immediate senses doesn't appeal, I can't say they are the books for you. I won't try to convince you to read or not to read anything. I am content to let you wallow in your own choices.

Default Re: gunslinger -- safe thread for first time readers. safe and spoiler-free!

Day one, so far I know what Roland wears (even though I am not meant to know his name is Roland) and that he is thirsty. I had to go out after reading the intro and forword (revised and expanded version) so that's all I got up to. This is my first journey and I know nothing about the series except his name and the turtle is in it. I feel I am in for a long old slog.

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

Hi! I just finished The Gunslinger last week, & I can honestly say I really enjoyed it. At first, I was thinking-What in the world is all this stuff King is writing about?...& it was kind of confusing...but I just kept reading, & when I got to the end, I was like-Wow!..that's pretty cool! It was a fast read for me, even though I was not reading it fast. I can't believe some people couldn't even finish it, it's not that hard of a read. My book was an old one, not a revised one, so I think that's better. So I have to get me DT2 to find out what's next.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Queen View Post
    So I have to get me DT2 to find out what's next.
    Careful now - draws you in real quick

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

Quote Originally Posted by Beep-Beep View Post
    Careful now - draws you in real quick
    Really?...So I hear....Now I'm excited!

I am on The Waste Lands now and absoluty loving it. I must say I was daunted to start this series. I did not think I would "get' it.
    But after Gunslinger it is pure SK at his finest. (and funny as hell in parts too!)

Finding Wizard and Glass is a bit of a change in pace, but no less gripping (and very interesting in terms of setting!)

Quote Originally Posted by Beep-Beep View Post
    Finding Wizard and Glass is a bit of a change in pace, but no less gripping (and very interesting in terms of setting!)
    I agree completely. Wizard and Glass is easily my favorite of the seven (eight now) books. I really enjoyed reading some of Roland's back story, and it left me craving more (*cough* Jericho Hill).

Like many other readers have mentioned, I didn't think the series would appeal to me as I thought it would be a western. About 15 years ago I broke down and picked up copies of the first three books at a church book sale for about 50 cents a piece, and the rest is history

Just finished "The Gunslinger". Im a long time SK fan but always avoided getting started on this until I was sure that I would get a good run at the series. For me the conversation at the end between the Man in Black and Roland was fascinating. The nature of infinity and size is something that has always fascinated and scared me in equal measures and I think King really touches a nerve with this. I have already started "the drawing of the three" and am really enjoying the journey

First post! I finished The Gunslinger last night. I think two words will sum up what I thought: weird and cool. Since I read a little bit about people having a hard time getting through it I decided to think of each chapter as a short story. It was a pretty effective way of reading the book, actually. Although I hardly needed to because I was into the story enough to keep going. However, that helped me question the disjointed-ness less. It really felt like I was reading a dream, which was so strange, but so cool. Or I felt like I was reading a novelization of a graphic novel...I can see that this series is very well suited to a visual format and I will probably try to get my hands on the graphic novels at some point. After I'm finished the whole series. Don't want to taint my imagination with someone else's pictures like I did with The Stand miniseries.

So here are some parts that stood out to me. The slow mutants...gross. David and Cort fighting....gross. Jake...I want to know more. How exactly did he end up wherever the Gunslinger is? Does what happened to him happen to others? And speaking of questions....where exactly is this book set? Hahaha. Obviously, I don't actually want these questions answered here. I just can't wait to read and find some of them out on my own.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast