Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
drawing of the three -- safe thread for first-time readers. safe and spoiler-free! - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: drawing of the three -- safe thread for first-time readers. safe and spoiler-free!

Default Re: drawing of the three -- safe thread for first-time readers. safe and spoiler-free

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Right after Steve had finished the 7th book, and when he was revising the first, he'd thought about doing all of the first 4 books but changed his mind. Long way of saying, no, just the first one was revised.
    What exactly constituted a "revision"? I have an old paperback of it that I got in 1989 or so (maybe later) that started me on my Tower journey. Just wondering if I should get the revised for a re-read...?

Default Re: drawing of the three -- safe thread for first-time readers. safe and spoiler-free

I think it's saying revised because it's the NOOK version. If I'm remembering correctly, there were some problems with the ebook reader version that needed correcting. It's not revised because of anything that Steve changed.
    Gotcha! The reviews did mention some typos and punctuation errors-maybe they have corrected that now. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    What exactly constituted a "revision"? I have an old paperback of it that I got in 1989 or so (maybe later) that started me on my Tower journey. Just wondering if I should get the revised for a re-read...?
    Too numerous to list--some just minor corrections, some continuity corrections (especially after having the benefit of the series being finished), etc. Have to confess I haven't yet read the revised edition so perhaps someone else can elucidate better than I. It was once suggested that the actual text be posted to compare each change but that would have meant posting far too much of the text.

Too numerous to list--some just minor corrections, some continuity corrections (especially after having the benefit of the series being finished), etc. Have to confess I haven't yet read the revised edition so perhaps someone else can elucidate better than I. It was once suggested that the actual text be posted to compare each change but that would have meant posting far too much of the text.
    Hi,

I haven't read the original since it was first published so I can't compare them (although I would like to), but from memory the Reviised is much more cohesive (and has fewer adverbs!) than the original, which was first written as seperate short stories after all.

Long days and pleasant nights

I've been following this conversation & now see the need to dig those books out & do a reread myself. Since I loved the whole series so much this is no great hardship on my part! So often I have to pause and visualize what I just read. Its kind of like pause & play virtual tv-ha. I've always visualized Roland trekking across the desert land with his purse slung off his shoulder like his water bag. (this in response to an earlier Q about the purse. He replains it later on as his gunna, ie his container for personal items,medicenes, bullets,etc).This shouldnt be a great concern for the constant reader, as many characters from history have been known to carry 'purses'. it makes perfect practical sense. Sailors carry one, soldiers as well. jus sayin

I think it's saying revised because it's the NOOK version. If I'm remembering correctly, there were some problems with the ebook reader version that needed correcting. It's not revised because of anything that Steve changed.
    Any idea if there will be a kindle version soon?

Quote Originally Posted by momone53 View Post
    Any idea if there will be a kindle version soon?
    The Gunslinger is at this listing. The Drawing of the Three is at this listing.

hossenpepper, I think you should give the revised edition a go. I always felt a little lost when I read the original but the revision smoothed things out and brought a few things into focus for me. I've read the series 4 times now (maybe more?) and I enjoyed the whole journey much more the last time when I started with the revised edition. Some people aren't going to like my opinion, some think it should be kept pure and as it was first written but I see nothing wrong with enjoying both!

The Gunslinger is at this listing. The Drawing of the Three is at this listing.
    Thanks, Ms. Mod, but I read wrong; I was really looking for the kindle version of Waste Lands which I don't see on Amazon.

Having read the original when published and in many re reads, I just figured parts I didn't understand would be made clear as I took the journey. It was like a puzzle with a few missing pieces. The revised edition placed those missing pieces into that book. For me, I enjoyed the original and getting those light bulb moments later on as things became clear.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast