This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Wants Women to Listen to Fetal Hearbeat Before Abortion

Default Re: Texas Wants Women to Listen to Fetal Hearbeat Before Abortion

Quote Originally Posted by PatInTheHat View Post
    You make very good points, and I agree with every one of them.
    But I'll stick with my assertion that there isn't any kind of a "strong" demand for actually giving a life to a child that needs one, unless it's brand spankin' new..uhh, brand unspanking new, to be politically correct that is..no 1-800-kids calls please..
    And ya know, I'm not sure all that many of those are in a very high demand if they're not so perfect...and hey, I get that, I mean even each and every couple that have their own children, want theirs to be perfect in every way.

My point is really about the screamers, the shouters, the practically militant (I'll not include the actual militant, they shouldn't be allowed near a carnival goldfish), and especially, the politically pandering politicos.
    All who talk a good talk, but most don't seem all that very interested in doin' the actual walk, and while it's true many can't afford taking in another human being into their homes, especially with special needs (the ones that need a loving home the most), a whole lot 'em of sure could is what I'm sayin'!
    Now while I know there are some seriously hip & happenin' folks are out there to be sure (sooo many pro choice by the way, maybe even more), being everything from foster parents, to actual adoptive parents to older children, volunteering in homes for unwanted children and/or even actual orphans, become mentors to kids with no one else, by and large it's just a lot of talk, talk more often than not, fueled by religious convictions, and with no other considerations than that...just self righteous make themselves feel good, talk.
    That's great, folks can have those religious convictions, any religious conviction in this country, but in this country, they can stuff those, along with their weekly pittance right into in the collection plate, when it comes to telling another human being what they can or can't do with their own bodies.
    Or here's a really novel idea, they can step up to the plate, because talk's (and that pittance) cheap, and a hell of lot cheaper than raising a child that nobody else wants.
    Right here in my little corner of the world, a corner that is very "pro life" (and really, who isn't pro life), our local family services is literally begging for foster homes, and that's not hyperbole, they're begging.
    They're putting up billboards and actually sticking placards (just like political and those, "Make 500.00 A Day Working From Your Home" signs) in yards all over the county, taking out newspaper ads, stapling sheets on poles, and sending out flyers in those bags along with the grocery flyers they can never seem to get anywhere near my door ...I'm willing to bet my county isn't the only one.
    So where in the hell is all of those "pro life", all human life is sacred, we care more than all of you baby murderin' anti life gonna burn in hell sinners, at?

Now while the desire and deep personal convictions to save the unborn is a most noble & worthy cause, unless there's an equal desire & conviction from the same kinda folks to stand up and save the already born, it just sounds a lot like a lot of folks are just wanting something akin to baby farms for those that have that strong desire, that strong desire for only a newborn that is...the blatant hypocrisy turns my stomach, and makes me angry.
    Nah, while there is a demand for some life, there's no strong demand, at least for the have already have been living for a while, and really, especially for the more out spoken among them, what could possibly be the difference between an unborn, an infant, and a ten year old, or a teenager?
    You know, if life is life, and the unwanted are the unwanted, and all the unwanted children need to be saved, and all that really cool & groovy stuff?..so what's the difference?
    Just seems to me, that some are more unwanted than others, most a lot less, and some not at all...eh, too bad, life's tough, and them's just the breaks I suppose, and I reckon once your already past your prime and the no longer an infant expiration date, it's the ol', 'God helps those that help themselves', thingy.
    And whole bunch of 'em will, when they finally hit the streets at eighteen, but thankfully we have prisons, and are building more, and so many privatized ones too, so I guess there's a lot of 'em that can end up being contributors to society after all, at least in some small way, well, to a shareholder that is...can I get an Amen!
    Heeyyy Batter Batter Batter!...ah man, they stepped up to wrong plate..again.
    I'd take the ones no one else wanted, if I could. As it is, I have enough love for all of them, enough room for a couple, enough money for none.

Quote Originally Posted by JayneH View Post
    out of your post one part really stands out "everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and choices" and this is the very reason why Abortion should remain legal and this silly notion of forcing a woman to listen to the hearbeat should be put in the trash.

I totally respect your view on the subject as I do everyone elses .... but regardless of whether someone believes it is murder ... it should always come back to the choice of the individual and respecting that persons choice. (not having a go at you individually - I am not familiar with your views on the choice vs no choice discussion - just others on here are very hard line on making it illegal)
    Hi, JayneH!

I respect your opinion, as well (along with everyone else's,) thank you.
    It's good to know that you and I are in agreement about us all having a choice in the manner. I believe that there's ALWAYS a choice, in any given situation. One might not like the alternative, but there'll always be free-will. Having said that, you know where I stand when it comes to the aborting of human life, and I'm aware of your pro-choice stance.

i love this thread!!
    Dustin, i have found the one thing we disagree on...finally lol
    i dont believe in abortion as a birth control (and i have seen this happen in my line of work) but i do believe it has its place in the world.
    we already have far too many children in the system unwanted and unloved, if we got rid of all abortions the only thing we would do would be create more of these children and every child has the right to be loved and wanted. we would also bring back those lovely dim dark days of the back yard abortions done by untrained and normally unhygienic ppl and bring back needless infections and deaths.
    what we need to do is make more use of education, and make birth control totally accessible for all.
    i am not advocating teen sex, i have a teen and personally am scared for the day that she comes to me and tells me she is having sex (and with my daughter and our relationship she will tell me!) i know a few of her friends are already at it, with little to know education and to quote someone famous, in this day and aids pregnacy is just one of the worries with unprotected sex.

Sorry I have been gone for awhile.
    I think we can all agree that if the world was perfect only pregnancies that were wanted would be conceived. If the world was perfect everyone who truly wanted and was able to love and care for a child would be able to have a child. If the world was perfect there would be no unwanted pregnancies. Alas, the world is far from perfect.

To those people who state that the woman who doesn't want the pregnancy/child should go ahead, carry the pregnancy and then give it up for adoption:

Pray tell, what is this woman supposed to do for the nine months that she is carrying this fetus? Her spouse and family that are going to have to live with her due to your demands.?

Pregnancy takes a toll on the body.
    Having to lose work before and after the prenancy (Money that is needed to pay the bills). Medical conditions that can manifest due to preganancy. High blood pressure, gestational (sp) diabetes, anemia, miscarriage, bleeding, complications that would require bed rest for weeks or months. Placental complications. The very real possibilty of stroke during labor. Infertility due to complications. Post natal depression. Death.
    What then?
    Call me cynical. But, in the same breath, call me realistic.
    Where are all these people who insisted, demanded, that she go through with the pregancy, going to be?
    B*tching and whining. Cutting back on medical care, long term care, benefits, support and resources. And pontificating about 'irresposible' women who had children they should not have had. Judging, pointing and shaking their finger at women that had children who are adding to the already overwhelmed , burdened, and poorly funded system that has 'hard to place', 'difficult to adopt' innocent children.
    Step up and state that you are willing to pay more taxes, contribute to agencies, and/or willing to take the hundreds, thousands of children who were brought into the world because YOU decided what was right.
    Peace.

again, regardless of how each of us feels as individuals: it still boils down to one group, with a particular imterpretation of religious teachings, using the law to subvert the rights of anyone else who does not agree with their religious point of view...

"congress shall make no law..."

can any of you say unconstitutional act of treason ?

There's a line in the Bible: He is able to lead gently those w/young.

Yeah, well, burn me at the stake for sharing that with you. I thought I'd responded to this thread the other day, but I likely pressed the wrong button. Nothing short of an Act of God is going to change things soon. It does get rather tiring, though, to read posts filled w/emotion, the kind that reduce the world to an either/or situation, you're either for us or you're against us. If you're this, you're damned, if you're this, you are numbered among the righteous. Does anyone else see any irony in any of this?

I don't have any numbers in front of me, can't speak to that, but I can speak from experience. And sad to say, I've long known that experience is as easily tossed out with the bathwater as everything else. I know a man (a couple) who went to Russia (from here in the states) to seek a child. Not one fresh out of the oven, as Pat phrased it earlier, but a child. After a long, drawn-out process, they have a boy. While the man made however many trips he made over there, this one boy'd been calling him "Daddy" and the boy had a buddy. The boy, bless his heart, encouraged "Daddy" to do whatever so that his "brother" (they'd had different parents/orphanage) could continue to be his brother. The brother, too, called the man "Daddy".

So, anyway, I don't know about "all those who shout! shout! shout it on out!" or whoever "they" and "them" and the whole shebang. I'd ask, why was it easier for this couple to travel to Russia to acquire a family?

People will bitch about something? Fine, that's what makes the world go round. We came down from the trees, where we bitched at each other, hey! hey! you! you! get out of my tree! And now we bitch still. There is nothing new under the sun.

There could be more emphasis placed on adoption. That could be done. The easiest answer isn't always the right answer.

I think how abortion is treated, how it is talked about, is telling.

How is this! going to happen! How is that! going to happen! Well, we can work it out, can't we? Would it be impossible?

But yeah, I return again to the idea that nothing short of an Act of God is going to change things. We've evolved so far.

Quote Originally Posted by omm poppa mow mow View Post
    There's a line in the Bible: He is able to lead gently those w/young.

Yeah, well, burn me at the stake for sharing that with you. I thought I'd responded to this thread the other day, but I likely pressed the wrong button. Nothing short of an Act of God is going to change things soon. It does get rather tiring, though, to read posts filled w/emotion, the kind that reduce the world to an either/or situation, you're either for us or you're against us. If you're this, you're damned, if you're this, you are numbered among the righteous. Does anyone else see any irony in any of this?

I don't have any numbers in front of me, can't speak to that, but I can speak from experience. And sad to say, I've long known that experience is as easily tossed out with the bathwater as everything else. I know a man (a couple) who went to Russia (from here in the states) to seek a child. Not one fresh out of the oven, as Pat phrased it earlier, but a child. After a long, drawn-out process, they have a boy. While the man made however many trips he made over there, this one boy'd been calling him "Daddy" and the boy had a buddy. The boy, bless his heart, encouraged "Daddy" to do whatever so that his "brother" (they'd had different parents/orphanage) could continue to be his brother. The brother, too, called the man "Daddy".

So, anyway, I don't know about "all those who shout! shout! shout it on out!" or whoever "they" and "them" and the whole shebang. I'd ask, why was it easier for this couple to travel to Russia to acquire a family?

People will bitch about something? Fine, that's what makes the world go round. We came down from the trees, where we bitched at each other, hey! hey! you! you! get out of my tree! And now we bitch still. There is nothing new under the sun.

There could be more emphasis placed on adoption. That could be done. The easiest answer isn't always the right answer.

I think how abortion is treated, how it is talked about, is telling.

How is this! going to happen! How is that! going to happen! Well, we can work it out, can't we? Would it be impossible?

But yeah, I return again to the idea that nothing short of an Act of God is going to change things. We've evolved so far.
    Good points. My brother and his wife adopted a girl from Korea 30+ years ago. My niece Kim is a true delight. She has a family of her own now and my great nephew is adorable. She also has a family (her mother is still alive) in Korea and has even been there to visit them. It was one of those situations where the family was so poor they had to give up their children for adoption rather than watch them starve to death. Why did my brother and his wife go to Korea? Adoption procedures in the United were (and still are) so convoluted that they could not afford a child here. My sister-in-law would have loved to adopt a child from this country, especially one from a poor area like the Appalachians, where there were many children born to dirt poor families - but it was easier to go out of the country.

This is a lot of the reason abortion is a "choice" in America. Not the only reason but a reason nonetheless. Why carry a baby to term just so that he/she can spend most of their formative years bouncing between foster homes? I'm not saying its OK to just kill a baby because of the adoption problems. Never - but wouldn't it make the choice easier for a scared young woman if she knew her baby would be adopted right away by a good family? A family that didn't have to go through hoops to get a child or spend the equivalent of a college tuition to get it done? All I'm saying is that this "choice" should involve more than abortion. As for Texas and their holier-than-thou attitudes about everything - don't get me started.

so lets have the young girl listen to the fetal heart beat. the young girl who already has no partner, no parental support, no job, and is agonizing over this decision to terminate a life. If she goes through with it, shes a horrible murderess. going to die in the pits of hell forever. This same girl when she hears the heart beat and cant go through with it, and she has the baby and gets her self signed up for welfare and foodstamps so she can feed and cloth the baby. then these same people who made her listen to the heartbeat look at her and say.. "another one of "those People" get her self knocked up so she can live off the state. im sick and tired of my money going to pay for programs for them... those people... who let them reproduce? disgusting i tell you.. get a job looser.."

people suck

Quote Originally Posted by guido tkp View Post
    again, regardless of how each of us feels as individuals: it still boils down to one group, with a particular imterpretation of religious teachings, using the law to subvert the rights of anyone else who does not agree with their religious point of view...

"congress shall make no law..."

can any of you say unconstitutional act of treason ?
    The Texas law, in accordance with the First Amendment, neither establishes a religion, nor does it prohibit the free exercise of any religion. Now, launching an assault on a foreign country without Congressional approval would be an unconstitutional act, but not listening to a heartbeat.

You make a great case for snuffing out those inconvenient lives. The world would be great, if not for all of the inconvenient lives we are forced to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by sknut70 View Post
    so lets have the young girl listen to the fetal heart beat. the young girl who already has no partner, no parental support, no job, and is agonizing over this decision to terminate a life. If she goes through with it, shes a horrible murderess. going to die in the pits of hell forever. This same girl when she hears the heart beat and cant go through with it, and she has the baby and gets her self signed up for welfare and foodstamps so she can feed and cloth the baby. then these same people who made her listen to the heartbeat look at her and say.. "another one of "those People" get her self knocked up so she can live off the state. im sick and tired of my money going to pay for programs for them... those people... who let them reproduce? disgusting i tell you.. get a job looser.."

people suck

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast