This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Worst Ads on TV

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Default Re: The Worst Ads on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    This may just be a local phenomenon, but I'm really tired of ads for businesses that use their kids to do the ads. They can't act, some of them can't even speak intelligibly, and while your kids may be adorable, that doesn't mean they should be trying to hawk your family wares. Stop it!
    As far as local ads, we all have our own regional versions of bad car dealer ads. Why all the yelling? No matter what part of the country you see a car dealer ad in, they are yelling. Is there a standards manual for this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    This may just be a local phenomenon, but I'm really tired of ads for businesses that use their kids to do the ads. They can't act, some of them can't even speak intelligibly, and while your kids may be adorable, that doesn't mean they should be trying to hawk your family wares. Stop it!
    That reminds of a movie I saw ages ago about a man who scientists experimented on. They caused him to regress to the stage of an amoeba, and then to evolve thru all the stages eventual for humanity to emerge. When evolution was complete he became like a supreme leader and began writing laws. One of the laws was anyone using children in TV commercials would be fined $150.

My pet peeve TV commercials are the Lipozene one (where the lady says "...researchers have discovered a capsule...". Why are the researchers unwilling to take credit for creating the capsule? What were they doing when they discovered this capsule and where was it, in the rainforest? Was it hanging from a tree, or maybe it grew in a cave?), and the Sleep Number Bed one with the two blond yippie customers, male and female who are obviously genetically made for one another, lying on a mattress. The female one says, "When I got up in the morning my back used to hurt so bad...", extending the word "bad" unnecessarily, you know? It's hard to describe what I mean. Then the TV spokesman says something, then the male yippie says, "Wake up in the morning with no back pain...", doing the same thing at the end of his sentence that I must assume all yippies must do, or maybe it's from bad company. I can't watch these commercials. I'm too busy watching my blood pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    As far as local ads, we all have our own regional versions of bad car dealer ads. Why all the yelling? No matter what part of the country you see a car dealer ad in, they are yelling. Is there a standards manual for this stuff?
    ..."YOU TOO CAN BUY WITH NO MONEY DOWN AND NO PAYMENTS FOR THE NEXT ELEVENTY BILLION YEARS!"...

CRAZY EDDIE! His prices are INSANE!

Maybe they should mix things up a little. How about the car dealers doing the side effects on drug ads or maybe have the funeral guys do car ads.

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    Maybe they should mix things up a little. How about the car dealers doing the side effects on drug ads or maybe have the funeral guys do car ads.
    Maybe we all should just stop buying cars, taking drugs, and dying.

I'm all skeeved out by the Geico ads with the pig.

They're just wrong, not cute. Ew.

There is one for Little Caesars at the moment where the moon yells "Pizza Time!!" That freaks me out. It's not funny and if anything it would keep me far away from Little Caesars. I also agree about local ads starring children. There is a local tire store commercial that airs here, and the guy uses his grandchildren.

Geico had a great one on around Halloween last year about a witch who works in a broom factory. I loved that one! I also love any of the M&M commercials, especially any starring Ms. Brown. Ms. Brown is awesome.

The new Subaru one,where the little girl is holding her dad's hand at the bus stop,not real thrilled about her first day at school,and as the bus arrives she gets on and glances back,heartbreakingly..it ends well,with her laughing with another child on the bus as dad drives by in his "safe", i guess, subaru..but man it just took me back to the Newtown thing,and thinking about all the parents who entrust their kids to the uncertainty of the school bus every day..and it just made me sad as heck for those parents,wonder if it is hard for them to see that commercial..

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    I'm all skeeved out by the Geico ads with the pig.

They're just wrong, not cute. Ew.
    GEICO commercials, generally. There are just too damn many of them. Reason dictates the company could make their rates much cheaper by producing one tenth the number. Plus, the commercials are self-indulgent which is obnoxious. However, occasionally I'll kinda like one or two of them. I liked the one where the gecko is walking thru the Warner Brothers cartoon, and I like the current one with the basketball guy blocking people tossing things. The ones with the pig have always been annoying as hell, and the main problem with GEICO commercials is they aren't well-written. Even the better ones could stand writing improvements.
    Last edited by blunthead; March 17th, 2013 at 02:32 AM.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast