This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The biggest travesty of a movie ever made!

Default Re: The biggest travesty of a movie ever made!

Seriously, blunt?

Is this your thing?

Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter, or do you just get off on being the grammar police?

I guess those who can't do or teach hang out in chat forums hoping desperately for a dangling participle or a split infitive.

Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Pucker View Post
    Seriously, blunt?

Is this your thing?

Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter, or do you just get off on being the grammar police?

I guess those who can't do or teach hang out in chat forums hoping desperately for a dangling participle or a split infitive.

Sad.
    First, I must apologize for using the phrase “we aren’t” instead of “I’m not”, in my first response to Pucker, since no one has given me the right to speak for the SKMB.

Pucker, I ask again for your proof Stephen King said what Ellison claims or that Ellison even claims it. Back up your accusations, it’s only fair, you demand the same from the SKMB. Your post, per the Ellison/King quote, is hearsay (I appreciate the honesty you included via “purportedly”). And to be clear, I'm not referring to the hat off for fashion held out for pennies quote, which you pulled outta someplace.

And, per “grammar police”, please stop changing the subject, stop trying to avoid the worms you insist on releasing from your can.

As for proper grammar (btw, I don’t know offhand what dangling participles and split infitives are. Tell me), I think we should all care how we appear to others, including if it means having to learn some basic manners.

Is this your thing? If you reread my post “Paragraph One”, paying attention and being honest this time, you’ll need not wonder what my thing is.

What causes you to deduce I don't have thoughts of my own because I try to help you with your grammatical errors and your general apparent inability to write well?

Sad. Maybe I’m “sad” in my way. At least I can be grateful not to be an anti-fanboy hanging out at the message board of an author with whom I have, apparent to everyone here, personal issues, which by nature cannot be defended. At least not here.

I guess sometimes I don’t mind speaking for the group, after all, eh?

Oh! Thanx for reminding me I wanted to mention somewhere at SKMB that Stephen King single-handedly disproves that prejudicial, grotesque, hideous adage "those who can't, teach". Stephen King does and teaches both!

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    Let me know what you think of "Owen Meany". It is in my top 2 or 3 that I've read.

Anyone who hasn't read it, go get it and read it.
    I enjoyed "A Prayer For Owen Meany" very much, to let you know finally. It was a very satisfying novel to read. By the end it was almost like I expected it to continue. I also recommend it.

Haven't read the book yet, but it is on my list. Saw the movie as a kid and loved it. Classic Arnold. I'll let you know what I think of the book after reading it. Many movies fall short of the books, like the Stand for example, that movie was not so good. I liked it as a kid, then after reading the novel, disliked it a lot. The novel was great.

I recently read the book and handed it over to my 12-year-old son for his first SK read. He absolutely loved it and is looking forward to more!

Having not read the book or seen the movie I can't really say much. My father has seen the Running man before. He said Matt Damon was in it. He may be confusing it with another movie or is Arnold Schwartznegger and Matt Damon in the movie. I do want to see the movie though.

I've got a special love for both the movie AND the book, personally. It's not a great flick by any means, but if you enjoy cheesy '80s action, then it fits the bill.

I was 13 when it came out, and was a big Schwarzenegger fan, but my mom -- probably rightly! -- wouldn't let my Dad take me to see R-rated movies in theatres. So my Dad would occasionally buy me the novelizations of things like Predator as a sort of make-up work-around.

This led to him giving me a copy of the book The Running Man, and consequently, that was the first Stephen King book I ever read! I didn't really know what to make of it, but a few years later, I remembered having vaguely enjoyed it, and bought The Stand. The rest, as they say, is history.

In the event any of you are interested in reading more of that personal history, I wrote about it on my blog. Here's a link: http://honkmahfah.blogspot.com/2011/...nd-you-or.html

As for the movie of The Running Man, I can get why people who are fond of the novel wouldn't like it. But "biggest travesty of a movie ever made" seems overly harsh, especially in a world that permitted Battlefield Earth, Ultraviolet, and two -- TWO!! -- Deuce Bigalow movies to get made.

I like to think that this movie was simply an extension of Family Feud...or should I say, Extreme Family Feud

Arvada, CO, or about a couple hours' drive from the Stanley

With all due respect, I beg to differ with those who have flat-out said that The Running Man sucked as a movie. True, it had its faults, but the way I see it, it was a product of its' time, in much the same way that Total Recall (another one of Schwarzenegger's movies) was a product of its' time. With the trend of filmmakers these days to go back to the original source material when doing a reboot, I would say that any remake of The Running Man would be pretty freaking awesome.

they should have walked behind the corn

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast