This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: About time for another new collection?

Default Re: About time for another new collection?

Hi,

There must be about enough material for one by now IMO.

Long days and pleasant nights

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Buchinsky View Post
    Seems like it might be getting closer to another short story collection. Maybe sometime in 2012 if we are lucky. I really hope he includes The Crate even though it is older. I've updated your list to include his 2011 output.

Short stories:

The Crate (from 1982, but collected last year as part of an anthology)
    Ur
    Throttle
    Premium Harmony
    Herman Wouk is Still Alive
    Under the Weather
    Blockade Billy
    Morality
    Mile 81
    Dune

You forgot "The Little Green God of Agony" and "Weeds"

Stephen said he wasn't comfortable of publishing his old uncollected stories, but I hope one or two old ones between 15 new ones in a collection is a fair deal, especially because a lot of us CRs haven't had the opportunity to read those old stories which were published in some obscure magazines decades ago.
    In "Just After Sunset" this worked very well with "The Cat from Hell" if you ask me.

But 2012 is too early. Until now a new short stories collection was out every seven or so years, so I think we will have to wait a little bit more. I think so, but I hope not.

I don't think "Blockade Billy" would make it to the collection, though, since it got its own book.

Since I posted this, there have of course been several more stories published, bringing the number up somewhere near 11, not counting the poetry and uncollected nonfiction of recent years. Almost every collection has contained several stories that were published for the first time in the book's pages as well. However, it looks like the schedule is full next year with both Dr. Sleep and Joyland coming out.

Another possibility I see is a novella collection with Joe Hill, similar to Different Seasons, Four Past Midnight and Full Dark, No Stars. "Throttle" was a longer piece and, although I haven't yet read "In the Tall Grass," the fact that it's being published in two installments tells me it is as well. In keeping with the tradition of King having four novellas in this type of book, that would mean either two more collaborations or possibly solo writings from King, Joe Hill, or both.

Also, what do you think the chances are of some of the poetry Mr. King has been publishing lately being included in his next collection? Also how about the essay "Cone Head" from the early 2000s?

I'd love a new story collection, but I'm not optimistic that it'll happen anytime soon...

I'd love one too, especially for the chance to read the ones I missed, like Throttle and Mile 81 and UR and Under the Weather... but I'll be patient somehow. I do love me some short stories though

Oh yeah. All those stories that are out there in forms I haven't gotten my hands on.....would love to have a new collection!

Full Dark, No Stars was a really great read. I somehow missed the release of this one when it first came out, working too much probably. I saw it on the bookstand at Target while I was doing some shopping, I just stood there staring at it, thinking to myself "How in the hell did I miss this one?" It had only been out a few days at the time, but I always keep up with the latest Mr. King new releases. I started reading it right there in Target...30 or so pages and some really weird stares from Target employees later, I shook my head clear, quietly bought the book and went hom to indulge. Great book, cover to cover.

I wouldn't mind another short story collection as long there's no stupid Dark Tower short story involved. I can't stand the Dark Tower series

Quote Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
    I wouldn't mind another short story collection as long there's no stupid Dark Tower short story involved. I can't stand the Dark Tower series
    Actually, I would love to see a whole collection of Midworld or Dark Tower related short stories.

If there is a new collection on the horizon, I'd love to see a few oldies (ie: 'The Blue Air Compressor' 'Weeds' 'The Crate' 'The Night of the Tiger' 'Man With a Belly' 'The Reploids') mixed in with some recent short stories from the past few years (ie: 'Throttle' 'Ur' 'Morality' 'Premium Harmony' 'Herman Wouk is Still Alive' 'Under The Weather' ' The Little Green God of Agony' 'Mile 81' 'The Dune' 'In the Tall Grass' 'A Face in the Crowd' 'Batman and Robin Have an Altercation)

18 Tales under (the dome) one roof.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast