This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cut Version of Salem's Lot

Default Cut Version of Salem's Lot

Hello All,

I have a question that still boggle's my mind. I purchased Salem's Lat about a year ago on VHS, I got a surprise when I realized it was cut, an hour of it was missing. I was surprised by this; and I still don't understand why the VHS is an hour shorter than the DVD version. I was like WTF, what genius thought this up, I eventually bought the DVD a wk after I got the VHS. Would any1 know why it was done like this, cutting a classic is wrong and it made the VHS version not make since in some parts. If anyone has the answer to this or would like 2 comment feel free.
    THX,
    -Kris-

Default Re: Cut Version of Salem's Lot

I think what you got there on VHS is the 'edited for TV' version. When Lot first aired way back in the late 1970's, it was on for two nights on TV. Subsequent airings were trimmed down to the 2 hour version, which is a farce. 'They' do this ALOT with movies anymore! WTH??? It's the same thing as when I went in to Target and bought Lady Gaga's double CD last year only to discover that 'they' had edited out the few cuss words that were on it. There was no sticker or warning on the case saying that it had been edited or anything either. 'They' do this with movies sometimes too as does Walmart. It's NOT right!

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    I think what you got there on VHS is the 'edited for TV' version. When Lot first aired way back in the late 1970's, it was on for two nights on TV. Subsequent airings were trimmed down to the 2 hour version, which is a farce. 'They' do this ALOT with movies anymore! WTH??? It's the same thing as when I went in to Target and bought Lady Gaga's double CD last year only to discover that 'they' had edited out the few cuss words that were on it. There was no sticker or warning on the case saying that it had been edited or anything either. 'They' do this with movies sometimes too as does Walmart. It's NOT right!
    Damn straight!!!!! If I want something edited, I'm a big boy-I'll edit it myself-this is simply censorship with a price tag....

Back in the early 90's when Dvd was not that common, they did some heavy editing in various mini tv-series and longer movies. I remember watching Tommyknockers on VHS, in the credits there were a few characters that didn't appear on the tape at all.

Hey All,

I just thought it was BullS**T that they cut the VHS tape, I bought it first and was highly ticked off, I new it was missing alot because some of the movie went from one thing to something totally different. When U buy something U expect to get Ur money's worth, instead I got an 1 cut version of one of the best SK movies ever. I did contact the company and they gave me the DVD 4 a reduced price. When U watch the DVD it is so much better and why they would cut it on the VHS boggles my mind, why to save tape?

-Kris-

I would LOVE to be able to find the short version of Salem's Lot...the longer one is too long and a bit boring.

I would have to agree with jellydonuts comment it is long and somewhat boring at times.

No idea if this is true, but wasn't there also a theatrical version intended for cinemas outside the US? I read something like that once, but never found out if it was true or that indeed played in cinemas ever.

As far as I know it isn't even on Blu Ray yet. It would be cool to have a disc with the different versions to compare.

I own a copy in vhs that I'm looking to sell

Rewatched it. Still loved it.

When Danny is floating in front of Mark's window though, at a certain point when he moves back you can clearly see he's sitting on some device - it looks like it's wrapped in black plastic or cloth, probably meant to blend in the background; it is however very noticable. Breaks the illusion quite when you see it.

But on the whole it's a masterclass in evoking a creepy atmosphere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast