Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Mile 81 - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mile 81

Default Re: Mile 81

Darn it, I hate these E-book exclusives. Hopefully it's available in another format in the somewhat near future.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDalglish View Post
    Hi,

The 'page 'as a unit of length will go the way of the Em or the En shortly, mark my words!

Long days and pleasant nights
    JD, your comment was very timely see below:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheat-s...t-sheet.html#7 (time sensitive link)
    "One pixel can change everything."

Road trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - Metro View Post
    I think I was told that its 15,000 words. Not sure how long that is.
    I checked Scribner's site, Brian, and as I'd mentioned above, they're quoting it as 80 pages.

Hi,

The 'page 'as a unit of length will go the way of the Em or the En shortly, mark my words!

Perhaps, as did clay tablets and papyrus, but the stories still continue to be written and delivered to people to be read as they have for thousands of years. I understand the sentiment behind not wanting to lose the tactile sense of turning the page of a print book or experiencing that new book (or even old book ) smell, but it's not the end of literature which would be much more of a loss IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I checked Scribner's site, Brian, and as I'd mentioned above, they're quoting it as 80 pages.
    Hi,

But they're not even selling it in 'pages' they're only selling it as a download, which is essentially pageless.

As I said, I think the 'page' as a unit of measurement is in danger of going the same wad asd the Em or En, two units of measurement that have already disappeared in my lifetime.

Wikipedia reference-linkEm (typography)

Just sayin' , hut thankee Ms Mod

I'm an old dog, and not only do I have to turn around in circles three times before I lay me down to sleep at night-but I'm paper trained, I'll do whatever is needed to keep turnin' pages-till they pry them out of my arthritic little sausages...

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Perhaps, as did clay tablets and papyrus, but the stories still continue to be written and delivered to people to be read as they have for thousands of years. I understand the sentiment behind not wanting to lose the tactile sense of turning the page of a print book or experiencing that new book (or even old book ) smell, but it's not the end of literature which would be much more of a loss IMO.
    Look at the bright side, the crazy preachers can't burn e-books.

but it's not the end of literature which would be much more of a loss IMO.
    Hi,

Indeed, it would be unbearable IMO

'Tis the story, and ONLY the story, that counts.

I wonder if, when as species we moved on to papyrus and away from clay tablets that there were a lot of people complaining?

Pee Ess - In one of my first jobs, I was paid by the thousand Ens, mind you, newspapers were organised in Chapels in these days LOL

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

I wonder if, when as species we moved on to papyrus and away from clay tablets that there were a lot of people complaining?
    Funny you should say that, on the news the other night there was a story about some scientists who think with all of the available info on google that humans will start to lose their ability to retain memory. Someone brought up that when paper was invented, the philosophers were very distressed for the same reason, they thought no one would be able to remember anything anymore with everything written down.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast