Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Mile 81 - Page 2

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 118

Thread: Mile 81

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    286

    Default Re: Mile 81

    Darn it, I hate these E-book exclusives. Hopefully it's available in another format in the somewhat near future.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,111

    Default Re: Mile 81

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDalglish View Post
    Hi,

    The 'page 'as a unit of length will go the way of the Em or the En shortly, mark my words!
    .

    Long days and pleasant nights
    JD, your comment was very timely see below:

    http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheat-s...t-sheet.html#7 (time sensitive link)
    "One pixel can change everything."

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: Mile 81

    Road trip!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: Mile 81

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian - Metro View Post
    I think I was told that its 15,000 words. Not sure how long that is.
    I checked Scribner's site, Brian, and as I'd mentioned above, they're quoting it as 80 pages.


  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,080

    Default Re: Mile 81

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDalglish View Post
    Hi,

    The 'page 'as a unit of length will go the way of the Em or the En shortly, mark my words!
    .

    Long days and pleasant nights
    Perhaps, as did clay tablets and papyrus, but the stories still continue to be written and delivered to people to be read as they have for thousands of years. I understand the sentiment behind not wanting to lose the tactile sense of turning the page of a print book or experiencing that new book (or even old book ) smell, but it's not the end of literature which would be much more of a loss IMO.


  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    14,129

    Default Re: Mile 81

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I checked Scribner's site, Brian, and as I'd mentioned above, they're quoting it as 80 pages.
    Hi,

    But they're not even selling it in 'pages' they're only selling it as a download, which is essentially pageless.

    As I said, I think the 'page' as a unit of measurement is in danger of going the same wad asd the Em or En, two units of measurement that have already disappeared in my lifetime.

    Wikipedia reference-linkEm (typography)

    Just sayin' , hut thankee Ms Mod

    Long days and pleasant nights

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Posts
    17,667

    Default Re: Mile 81

    I'm an old dog, and not only do I have to turn around in circles three times before I lay me down to sleep at night-but I'm paper trained, I'll do whatever is needed to keep turnin' pages-till they pry them out of my arthritic little sausages...

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory
    Posts
    2,805

    Default Re: Mile 81

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Perhaps, as did clay tablets and papyrus, but the stories still continue to be written and delivered to people to be read as they have for thousands of years. I understand the sentiment behind not wanting to lose the tactile sense of turning the page of a print book or experiencing that new book (or even old book ) smell, but it's not the end of literature which would be much more of a loss IMO.
    Look at the bright side, the crazy preachers can't burn e-books.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    14,129

    Default Re: Mile 81

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    but it's not the end of literature which would be much more of a loss IMO.
    Hi,

    Indeed, it would be unbearable IMO

    'Tis the story, and ONLY the story, that counts.

    I wonder if, when as species we moved on to papyrus and away from clay tablets that there were a lot of people complaining?

    Long days and pleasant nights

    Pee Ess - In one of my first jobs, I was paid by the thousand Ens, mind you, newspapers were organised in Chapels in these days LOL

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory
    Posts
    2,805

    Default Re: Mile 81

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDalglish View Post
    I wonder if, when as species we moved on to papyrus and away from clay tablets that there were a lot of people complaining?
    Funny you should say that, on the news the other night there was a story about some scientists who think with all of the available info on google that humans will start to lose their ability to retain memory. Someone brought up that when paper was invented, the philosophers were very distressed for the same reason, they thought no one would be able to remember anything anymore with everything written down.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •