Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Mile 81 - Page 3

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mile 81

Default Re: Mile 81

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    Someone brought up that when paper was invented, the philosophers were very distressed for the same reason, they thought no one would be able to remember anything anymore with everything written down.
    Hi,

And indeed, that has proved to be the case. We know far more about the ancient Sumerians (and the Epic of Gilgamesh, for example) which were inscribed on clay tablets, still readable today ('hard' copy?), than we do of much more recent cultures who transcribed on to papyrus or paper, long since rotted away.

Wikipedia reference-linkSumerians

Wikipedia reference-linkEpic of Gilgamesh

Long days and pleasant nights

Further proof that we all are just pawns in Stephen King's Universe

Want to Amazon.com to pre-order Mile 81 and it asked if I wanted to see all 19 results.

Is there any news of future printed versions of both Mile 81 and UR being released? i'm a bit of a completist and want them for my collection!
    I'm sure I can't be the only one.

You aren't, but I don't have any information about when/if a print version will be available for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    You aren't, but I don't have any information about when/if a print version will be available for those.
    I see the future--Mile 81, UR, and several other short stories will be collected in King's NEXT anthology, "AS DARK AS IT'S EVER GONNA GET!"

Quote Originally Posted by the_last_gunslinger View Post
    Darn it, I hate these E-book exclusives. Hopefully it's available in another format in the somewhat near future.
    While it may not be your fave format, keep in mind you can download a free piece of software for your Mac or PC to allow you to read Kindle books without the device.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    I'm an old dog, and not only do I have to turn around in circles three times before I lay me down to sleep at night-but I'm paper trained, I'll do whatever is needed to keep turnin' pages-till they pry them out of my arthritic little sausages...
    I'm with you on that Gentle!

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    Funny you should say that, on the news the other night there was a story about some scientists who think with all of the available info on google that humans will start to lose their ability to retain memory. Someone brought up that when paper was invented, the philosophers were very distressed for the same reason, they thought no one would be able to remember anything anymore with everything written down.
    It's already started. Remember when we all had to memorize phone numbers? We don't even do that now...............

but it's not the end of literature which would be much more of a loss IMO.
    Indeed, if THAT ever happens, God help us all! That'd be a VERY sad day, existence, etc...

I see the future--Mile 81, UR, and several other short stories will be collected in King's NEXT anthology, "AS DARK AS IT'S EVER GONNA GET!"
    Well, there's certainly plentiful material: Mile 81, Ur, Blockade Billy, Morality, Under The Weather, Herman Waulk Is Still Alive, The Crate..
    Plus, as the beloved JD has said, "We can't forget about Sai King's poetry."

(All things serve the Beam")

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    It's already started. Remember when we all had to memorize phone numbers? We don't even do that now...............
    It was much easier when we all just had one phone number.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast