This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UTD not SK's best work

Default Re: UTD not SK's best work

Not his best, still an entertaining read.

One of my best friends recently read the novel, and he was hugely disappointed by the nature of the dome. I get that reaction, but I don't share it; I had a few problems with things here and there, but largely thought it was an instant classic. Maybe not King's best, but pretty damn great.

No offense but I think that if you were put in the same situation you might find yourself laughing at almost anything, when times get desperate a lot of people often act oddly despite the bigger picture surrounding them. Everyone becomes a little crazy when there is no hope to be found anywhere.

Sorry, I totally disagree. I thought UTD was Stephen at his very best, the book just zoomed along and when it finished I put it down and said wow. Why wouldn't Rusty's companions laugh when he put his lead suit on (Rusty note, NOT Barbie, pay attention now!)? And which of these characters who were laughing did you find infantile-Joe? Norrie? Ben? Their behaviour may well have been infantile, but then again they are children!

The only think I genuinely disliked about Under the Dome was the fact that I kept to having to read the name "Barbie" over and over. I get that that is a nickname a guy named Barber MIGHT actually be given, but there's nothing appealing about spending time with a male protagonist named Barbie. That's a silly distraction in the midst of a very non-silly story.

Otherwise, great novel.

I have to fall into the camp of UtD dislikers. I found it far too long, and I found the characterization to lack the subtlety I see in the best of King's work. Big Jim and he other "pillars" of the town came off as shallow attacks on the American right-wing establishment, and the kids (Joe, Norrie, and Benny) pale in comparison to the young people that have populated other SK works.

However, given that it was preceded by Duma Key and followed by Full Dark, I have decided not to hate SK forever. Cause I LOVED those two books.

Quote Originally Posted by ScimitarMMM View Post
    I am a big fan of Stephen King and have many of his works in my personal library. Some I have read over and again eg Dark Tower.
    UTD was an exception and after finishing it I took the book to a charity shop and gave it away. The basic theme was interesting but the ending was so weak. When Barbie dons his lead suit I couldn't see why his companions fell into paroxysms of laughter. The behaviour of some of the characters was infantile. If this was typical of SK's work he would never have achieved the acclaim that he justly deserves.
    I once gave away a SK book and was later visited in my dreams by a spade-claw hand fiend. Since then I have not given away a SK book.

UTD was not abut the dome or the ending. It was about how people react when in a microcosm. It was about the concentrated emotional states of the characters in a completely impossible/improbable situation. I think it was fitting.

I think that great literature is always a reflection of the society from which it is spawned. The polarization of wisdom over desperation is all too apt in the current climate of the US.

How good is this book IMO? I joined the SKMB after reading it. That is how good. Steve's best work since Wizard and Glass (with DT VII in there too) IMO. Like the DT series, the end is what Steve says it is. Because of that, I like it. It's his story. Though I do think Big Jim's demise was just a little too nice; he deserved oh so much worse....

Quote Originally Posted by bryantburnette View Post
    The only think I genuinely disliked about Under the Dome was the fact that I kept to having to read the name "Barbie" over and over.

While I liked the book - I actually agree with you on this sticking point. And I listened to this on audio-book so it was even more annoying to hear the reader drawing it out a hundred times - baaaaaaaarbie.

I really enjoyed this book. I was upset when it ended, but not upset about the ending. TBH, I didn't really notice the "Barbie" thing much after the first or second time I read the name. I tend to skim when I read, so maybe that helped. I loved the story, the characters, the rich descriptions, and the suspense. I have a new respect for ants, now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast