Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
11/22/63 Small "Mistake" - Page 5

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 11/22/63 Small "Mistake"

Default Re: 11/22/63 Small "Mistake"

Nobody's perfect even Sk can make a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by bobledrew View Post
    Who is that trip-trapping over my bridge?
    Trolls? I don't see any... Just folk conversatin'.

As I was re-reading the book the other day, I noticed this same thing. Part of me wondered if maybe at some point he had gotten new plates? I'm not sure how that was done back then, so I'm only guessing (as in how hard it was to change plates, get new ones, etc).

I do think that maybe it related to his having come from Florida. Or maybe she had already figured it out, that he was hiding something, and mentioned it trying to catch him in a fib? Maybe one of those things that is written and meant to be continued later but never done so.

This is my first post on here (other than a quick reply to someone a few moments ago). I will admit from the get go that I am a nitpicker. That's my flaw. I will notice things that bug me and bug me and that's why I'm here.

I'm re-reading the book for the second time. I finished reading it the first time roughly a year ago, borrowed the hardback from the library and now I got myself a copy of it in paperback. On page 338 (in paperback, not sure if it's the same in hardback) there is a mention of "...and the band launched into a hot version of "Ooh, My Head", the old Ritchie Valens song - and not really so old in the summer of '61, although Valens had been dead for almost two years."

So here goes. Ritchie Valens died on February 3, 1959. So in the summer of '61, it would have been more than two years. Also, with this mention of it, George/Jake would have been back in the past on the day his plane crashed. What was one more test to see how things would have changed? Again, like I said I am a nitpicker, but I realized this in reading it (as well as being a huge Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens fan (Buddy Holly died in the same plane crash that Ritchie Valens died in) ) that that was something that sort of stuck out to me. Then again, I might only be noticing it because of being a fan, but if he did his little "mini-missions" as I like to call them, that would have been one that he could have also tried to prevent. However, I guess at the same time the book would have taken a whole different turn. But then, that's just my opinion.

This isn't "The Keystone World" ie our version of our world.You can't travel back in time in the keystone world

I'm a huge fan of Stephen King and a nitpicker

I have a query, it's not me pointing out potential errors, they will always pop up here and there, this is more a case me wanting to know if I missed an explanation or if it is a subtle change put in intentionally to point out the butterfly effect. I am talking about Jake in the present driving a Toyota for the first half of the book or so, then it suddenly changes to a Subaru. Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by The Nameless View Post
    I have a query, it's not me pointing out potential errors, they will always pop up here and there, this is more a case me wanting to know if I missed an explanation or if it is a subtle change put in intentionally to point out the butterfly effect. I am talking about Jake in the present driving a Toyota for the first half of the book or so, then it suddenly changes to a Subaru. Did I miss something?
    I take it this is in the UK edition...hardback or paperback version? I'm planning on re~reading this book this weekend and I would appreciate knowing exactly where this error occurs so I can try to pinpoint if there is a reason for it. Thanks.

Ooh and Jennifer Nedbalek, I appreciate you are a Ritchie Valens/Buddy Holly fan but come on! Why on earth would King write a fictional story based around JFK and be expected to go into the past and also change the outcome of that other real event? He is writing a fictional story. Is it not enough that he is broadly encompassing a very real event in the form of JFK's assassination without confusing the story even more? I'd rather read about how Jake changes reality for fictional characters like Harry and his family than other famous people where we know in our minds the outcome is never going to be any different from what really happened. By focusing on fictional characters King allows us to believe that the past really can be changed, because their reality that he shares with us is something we can't question because we don't truly know the outcome.

I'm a huge fan of Stephen King and a nitpicker
    ...well get to pickin' Skippy!...

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    I take it this is in the UK edition...hardback or paperback version? I'm planning on re~reading this book this weekend and I would appreciate knowing exactly where this error occurs so I can try to pinpoint if there is a reason for it. Thanks.
    UK, hardback. Can you really read such a big book in 2-3 days? I'm starting to feel like I'm back in junior school here. Or do you lock yourself away and read from 8am to 10pm or something?

Quote Originally Posted by The Nameless View Post
    UK, hardback. Can you really read such a big book in 2-3 days? I'm starting to feel like I'm back in junior school here. Or do you lock yourself away and read from 8am to 10pm or something?
    Yup, I really can read a book this size in such a short space of time. I am (un)fortunate enough to not have people that rely on me to do things for them so if/when I decide to shut myself off and do something for myself--such as read--that's exactly what I can do. Also, I'm tired of reading purely for research/educational purposes so I need to read something just to enjoy it, and de~stress...and this is the book I've chosen. I will let you know if/when I stumble upon your query.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast