Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
11/22/63 Small "Mistake" - Page 6

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 11/22/63 Small "Mistake"

Default Re: 11/22/63 Small "Mistake"

Quote Originally Posted by The Nameless View Post
    UK, hardback. Can you really read such a big book in 2-3 days? I'm starting to feel like I'm back in junior school here. Or do you lock yourself away and read from 8am to 10pm or something?
    Its not too hard for me either. When I can really lay back and read without distractions I can do 75-100 pages an hour. I don't go that fast too often though since I think its kind of a waste to wait a year or more for a new book from someone then knock it off over a weekend. I prefer a slower more relaxed pace around 50-75 pages (depending on chapter breaks) before bed over a couple weeks. That way I can let each night's read sink in a bit instead of just plowing through.

Quote Originally Posted by homer_sapien View Post
    Its not too hard for me either. When I can really lay back and read without distractions I can do 75-100 pages an hour. I don't go that fast too often though since I think its kind of a waste to wait a year or more for a new book from someone then knock it off over a weekend. I prefer a slower more relaxed pace around 50-75 pages (depending on chapter breaks) before bed over a couple weeks. That way I can let each night's read sink in a bit instead of just plowing through.
    This is what I do, but I only ever manage around 30-40 per night at best, before the book hitting the floor wakes me up.

I think finding little goofs can be fun ... and certainly not malicious. It's just like spotting errors in movies and tv shows - it gives you somethin' else to look at after you've inevitably finished the product.

But the only goof I could really find, that hit me, was early in the book when Jake goes back to Derry the first time and he says Frank Dunning took his kids to the Maine (in Orono) football game on the 4th of October. Except Maine played Vermont on that day ... in Burlington, roughly six hours from the fictional Derry.

Another mistake I found:

1. Jake noticed that Marina Oswald is pregnant and says that Al failed to mention this in his notes, and he is totally shocked.

2. Later we see that Al DID mention it in his notes, he mentions the 2nd baby being born.

Am I right about this?

Of course we all give SK a break! No one is perfect. I can imagine that if he's on a roll writing he doesn't necessarily stop and check every little thing. I certainly don't fault him for any of them. The one error that I caught made me smile. It occurred when George/Jake was coming into Texas. He noticed a "Don't Mess With Texas" sign. I've lived in Texas for over 40 years - we started that campaign in the mid-eighties.

Yes, I agree; Mr. King is a superb writer. I remember I had a qualm with a line in the book on page 336: Jake writes, "But it didn't happen that way for me and Sadie..." etc. He's an excellent English teacher, so I didn't think he'd say or write, "me and Sadie." Plus, on pages 613 and pages 585-6, he corrects Mike Coslaw for saying "me and Bobbi Jill," instead of 'Bobbi Jill and I.' So I think he'd practice what he preaches. But again, I think King's writing is fabulous.

Somebody once said that he made a mistake in the part where Sadie's husband came back to hurt her. This person thought it was unrealistic and came out of nowhere.
    In my work as a paramedic, I constantly treat people whose ex-spouse returned to hurt them. I saw nothing unrealistic about it at all.

Jake learns of what happens to Miz on Aug 27th. First paragraph of next section, he says "We worked on it the last two weeks of that hot August..." There was only 4 days left in the month. Chapter 13, section 8.

Please remember to make use of our Error/Typo Reporting System if you find something in one of Stephen's works. (This can be found at the bottom of the StephenKing.com home page.)
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456