This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This book broke my heart.

Default Re: This book broke my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    Yar, the username is certainly apt, I mean unique. Although I was actually rather taken by the term; "a longer version of what came out of Cujos @ss."

Cujosass
    would be a pretty cool username methinks. Whenever the name is said it needs to be accompanied by jazzhands, and pronounced like "Just Jack" from Will and Grace. If y'all don't know how he says that then you best head over to Youtube and find a clip. Pronto. Anyhoo, I'm seriously considering Cujosass as my next username when I become bored with being myself. It would be kinda neat if Jordan allowed the "prolifics" the privilege of unlimited name changes, kinda like a reward for all out valuable--don't laugh!--input as members of the site. Damn, I would be like PITH, but instead of changing my profile picture every day I'd change my name...that'd keep y'all guessing. And would keep my multiple personalities happy. Well, some of them. Can't please them all, right??
    Have a nice day now! Cheerio.
    Thanks for the laugh Allie! I love "Just Jack"

I'm almost done w/the book, which I personally, am loving. I received it as a birthday present on Thursday past and have nibbled at it until today which I've spent all of glued to the book. I have no objection to the descriptions of the relationship between the 2 characters. What I find mildy irritating is Mr Koontz' unending use of the word "preternatural". But to the point at hand, I hate having the book end! I'm on page 734 and am taking a break to put off the inevitable-went and got "Hearts in Atlantis" to re-read next. If I might make a small joke-I find Hoggsbutt's name preternaturally fitting..it's JODIE TX and SADIE, not Jodi and Saddie. Now back to my book...

No offence intended, but I SO disagree with you. I love the side story. For me that is what maes kING THE kING. That is what makes a story, no matter how implausable seem plausible. It is the how would I handle it, it is just what makes me go back again and again.

Call me crazy, but I have the entire Will and Grace series on DVD. Never get tired of watching it. I adore Sean Hayes.

I haven't read 11/22/63 yet but I am looking forward to doing so as soon as possible. I can't comment on the story yet but I am encouraged by all the positive things I've been reading.

Reading 11/22/63 and about how lax security was in those days reminded me of this picture. I am not sure if it's photo shopped ( don't think so) I think it's a toy. However, in this day and age a politician would never be so accessible, nor would this kind of thing fly. Let me know what you think.

I am a horror/thriller reader but it was the love story that really got to me in this book.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    Well, I thanked you for your thoughts...and congrats on an apt user name...

I love you, Scott ♥

Quote Originally Posted by hogsbutt View Post
    When I say it broke my heart I don't mean it in a good way. I love S. King but I also hate him and after 11/17/63 I hate him a little more.

I loved the first quarter of the book, it was the King of old. Man I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. Then the character moved to Jodi Texas. What the heck did any of that have to do with the plot? Why would he fall in love? Is Saddie a crazy person or what? I hate listening to them going on with pet names and declartions of love to one another. It is sicking. How many times did these two " MAKE LOVE"? A man from the future and a nut job from the south making love two dozen times isnt romantic its boring.

I clapped when I thought S. King was done with this pointless side track in the novel but No the curse of Jodi Texas must come back and haunt the story. And what was with those people at the school fawning over George like he was the best thing since sliced bread. Okay I get it the narrator of the story is a great guy who never does wrong. He is prefectly boring.

I could have sworn this book was written by a more talented Dean Knootz. Not that Dean is more talented then King, I mean King is more talented, heck now I am losing track. Next I will be writing about my time in a small texas town where I put on plays with mildly retarded students and MADE LOVE with nut job school teacher who was the biggest victim in novel history.

I will buy Mr. Kings books because normally I love them and with the good I will get the bad. This should have been a novelette and cut out all that filler. I would have rather over paided for small story then got my moneys worth for a longer version of what came out of Cujos @ss.

Sorry readers but this story was CORNY as Hell.

Love you Steve.
    In my ever so humble opinion, it had everything to do with the plot.....

He did have to live in the past for 5 years, after all..... Naturally, he would interact with people, etc.
    His actions and interactions are what caused the changes in the string of events.

What did you expect?......for him to sit alone in a hotel room eating Chinese takeout for all that time?
    ....talk about boring!

Quote Originally Posted by Sundrop View Post
    In my ever so humble opinion, it had everything to do with the plot.....

He did have to live in the past for 5 years, after all..... Naturally, he would interact with people, etc.
    His actions and interactions are what caused the changes in the string of events.

What did you expect?......for him to sit alone in a hotel room eating Chinese takeout for all that time?
    ....talk about boring!
    I have to say I agree. That is what added some realism to the story because obviously there has to be some interaction. Whenever you read or hear about time travel it always seems like you can't do anything because you'll alter history too much. But in fact that was what he was intending to do, and change it BIG. Sof if he was already going to do that, why not change it some more? Other than changing it so he isn't born (and therefore creating a paradox) or Al's diner doesn't appear. Didn't Al himself mention that the worst that would happen is he'd have to live in the past? Somehow that seemed like a bit of foreshadowing or a hint.

I found myself liking the story so much that in fact, the mentions of Oswald and the original mission is what almost became boring to me.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by hogsbutt View Post
    When I say it broke my heart I don't mean it in a good way. I love S. King but I also hate him and after 11/17/63 I hate him a little more.
    It appears that Dale Carnegie seminar didn't work out well for you.

I loved the first quarter of the book, it was the King of old. Man I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. Then the character moved to Jodi Texas. What the heck did any of that have to do with the plot?
    Everything.

Jake's reasoning for returning to the past (initially) is to make things right for Harry and his siblings by dealing with Harry's sicko father in Derry. This happens five years before the Kennedy assassination.
    Al and Jake have an in-depth conversation before Al dies, in which all of the domino effects of time travel are discussed. Jake realizes that to accomplish everything on his To-Do list, he has no choice but to remain in the past once he's entered, all the way up to the assassination attempt in 1963.

So to bide his time and do the research necessary for foiling Oswald, and to cover his espionage tracks, he chooses to live in a town two hours away from Dallas. And in that interim time when he's making his trips to Dallas and spying on the Oswalds, he happens to fall in love with Sadie.

The "pointless side track" of returning to Jody is rendered indeed worthwhile when Jake is able to save Sadie from dying. In the middle of all this suspended disbelief, I think most readers would agree they'd do the same thing for someone they love.

Fine if you found Jake/George boring. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. However......

I could have sworn this book was written by a more talented Dean Knootz.
    Them's fightin' words around here, pal. There are some who like Mr. Koontz's work. I would not be among that fan club.

I would have rather over paided for small story then got my moneys worth for a longer version of what came out of Cujos @ss.
    This last has clarified several things for me:
    First, that it no doubt will endear you forever to Mr. King, specifically because you posted it with sincere charm on a website that he owns and operates at no charge to his fans.
    Second, that your enlightened review of 11/22/63 might have carried more gravitas had you remembered to use the Spellcheck function available to you in this forum.
    And third, that what initially appears to be an apt moniker for you now takes on the suspicious appearance of the view from the north end of a donkey facing south.

Love you Steve.

Could have fooled me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast