This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Devastated and Not Sure Why - Spoilers

Default Re: Devastated and Not Sure Why - Spoilers

I can't remember getting to the end of a book before and finding that the end was so wrong and so right, both at the same time. The word "bittersweet" might have been invented for it.

I'm with you on that one. I have total withdrawal symptoms! How did I fill my days before startig this epic? No idea!

I felt just the same way after Duma Key when I realised

the lead character's daughter (can't remember either name, sorry) died
    . I could understand my feelings about Duma Key because it's all about a father-daughter relationship, but 11/22/63 is 'just' a love story. Ah, I guess I'm just a romantic at heart!

I tried to tell friends about how good 11/22/63 was but they just aren't interested in SK. I try to tell them that it's not trashy sci-fi, that what sets SK apart are his utterly brilliant characterisations, but they're unconvinced. Ah well, their loss!!

Quote Originally Posted by MsUnderstood View Post

They do find each other again at the end of this book. Sure they have the age difference to contend with, but if their love is true and timeless then they can overcome that.

..."even ladies who've reached a certain plateau of maturity aren't averse to a nice boink on a Saturday night. Am I embarassing you?"

=)

Quote Originally Posted by Danpd66 View Post
    DEAR GOD! This is exactly how I am feeling! I am so depressed with the ending I have had difficulty sleeping the past few nights!

I know better than to expect any type of specific ending from a Stephen King novel, however my mind had decided during the development of the relationship of Jake and Sadie that things would work out and they would live "happily ever after." How devastated I was with the actual conclusion! I'm with you, hopefully a story where they can be together, or an alternate ending, or something! SOMETHING TO MAKE ME FEEL BETTER! Hahaha, I feel rather pathetic over my feelings towards this...but I have never been so affected by a book in my life, and I am an avid reader! A different conclusion is the only thing I have been thinking about since finishing the book.

One can only hope and dream...
    Me too!

This is actually my first time on the message board, as I just finished 11/22/63 two days ago and I haven't been able to get it off my mind since! I Googled "Sadie Dunhill" and it took me to this thread of messages, and honestly, I couldn't agree more with what each of you have written... That book left me wanting more than any book ever has. Maybe it's because it was my first SK book (I know, I know...), but after reading this, it will be my first of many. Could this book have ended any other way?

He's with Sadie but he's not.
    I mean, if this book doesn't make you understand the true meaning of unconditional love, then nothing ever will.

Thank you, SK, and everyone else on this message board. I'm glad I wasn't the only person who felt the same exact way about this book.

Quote Originally Posted by KRFox View Post
    This is actually my first time on the message board, as I just finished 11/22/63 two days ago and I haven't been able to get it off my mind since! I Googled "Sadie Dunhill" and it took me to this thread of messages, and honestly, I couldn't agree more with what each of you have written... That book left me wanting more than any book ever has. Maybe it's because it was my first SK book (I know, I know...), but after reading this, it will be my first of many. Could this book have ended any other way?

He's with Sadie but he's not.
    I mean, if this book doesn't make you understand the true meaning of unconditional love, then nothing ever will.

Thank you, SK, and everyone else on this message board. I'm glad I wasn't the only person who felt the same exact way about this book.
    If you haven't already, you may want to check out the thread I started on harmonization between the book and what's happening with you personally. At least it helped me put my feelings in perspective, when I stepped back and looked for reasons why the book kept me thinking about it for days afterward.

Same here, glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'm also glad Jodie is not a real place, I suspect I'd be driving there for some reason if it was.

Quote Originally Posted by tenngolfer View Post
    If you haven't already, you may want to check out the thread I started on harmonization between the book and what's happening with you personally. At least it helped me put my feelings in perspective, when I stepped back and looked for reasons why the book kept me thinking about it for days afterward.
    Thank you, that was actually extremely helpful... I've really been tied in knots the last few days.. I had no idea that a piece of fiction could have this kind of affect on a person.

Speaking of SK books, I keep seeing "Maybe Jake and Sadie will reappear in one of "The Towers". I apologize for being too ignorant to know and too lazy to Google, but what are The Towers? I'm assuming they're series of books that King repeatedly sequels, reusing characters of past books, but again, that's a complete assumption.. and you know what assuming does...

However, if I am correct by guessing that, I really hope that

Jake and Sadie will end up together somehow, and if it's not Jake and an 80 year old Sadie, then I hope there's a sequel to this book where Jake goes back down the rabbit hole one last time to risk it all to be with Sadie, only to see that the obdurate past is not standing between him and saving JFK, however, this time it is standing in the way of Jake and Sadie finding their way together.

Since I started reading more messages on this board I have read many complimentary of the Dark Tower series. I read the first when it came out years ago, and did not like it, and have avoided the rest. But after reading something to the affect, that you must get through the first 2 books before it becomes enjoyable, I may have to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by tenngolfer View Post
    Since I started reading more messages on this board I have read many complimentary of the Dark Tower series. I read the first when it came out years ago, and did not like it, and have avoided the rest. But after reading something to the affect, that you must get through the first 2 books before it becomes enjoyable, I may have to try it.
    Please try the series. Book 1, The Gunslinger, is very different than the rest of the series. Often people who have trouble with The Gunslinger skip it and start with Book 2, The Drawing of the Three, then go back to Book 1. You won't regret reading the entire series.

John

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast