This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Devastated and Not Sure Why - Spoilers

Default Re: Devastated and Not Sure Why - Spoilers

I was hoping other readers were suffering from Jake and Sadie withdrawal! Nor have I ever been affected by a book this way. I fell in love with the characters, and feel a sense of loss upon finishing the book.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddiJ View Post
    I was hoping other readers were suffering from Jake and Sadie withdrawal! Nor have I ever been affected by a book this way. I fell in love with the characters, and feel a sense of loss upon finishing the book.
    It had that affect on lots of folks, including me. Reading through all the threads under 11 22 63 helps. If that doesn't work, put your own thoughts in writing, which helped me.

New poster here, glad to be one. Finished audio book version of story today and like many of you I have felt empty all day. The audio version just brought the characters to life more or me and I guess thats the rub. I went to the library tonight to get another book to wash this one out of my head and I just couldn't do it. Like Sadie, I was just not ready to get involved with another just yet. Like many of you I fell in love woth Sadie and hoped or a different ending or her and Jake/george. Curse you Yellow Card Man!! Maybe its that human desire called regret----- to have the ability to go back and do something over again armed now with knowledge and maturity. I guess i just miss Sadie. Stephen King can be so obdurate sometimes.

I missed Sadie as well. I was so sad for Jake. So bummed that the alternate reality wasn't any better. But the beauty and roundness of it all just blew me away. A bittersweet ending that made me close the book and weep. Had a hard time getting into anything else, but I did. Recently re read it and had the same feelings.

Stephen King can be so obdurate sometimes.
    Definition of OBDURATE. 1. a: stubbornly persistent in wrongdoing . b: hardened in feelings . 2: resistant to persuasion or softening influences ...excuse me?...I think not, on the contrary-King has always worn his emotions on his sleeve...and as he's matured, so have his methods for expressing them...

After reading this novel, I too suffered the loss of Sadie and thought of ways to re-unite our star crossed lovers anew. When Jake buried the box, I thought he should send his younger self a message to right the path we all craved, but upon the same reflection Jake had, I too had to concede that the path he took was the best one.
    The butterfly effect is/was too much of a risk for personal contentment. Best he treasure the memories and bask in the pleasures of them for the rest of his days, than jeopardize all.
    I've read King since the beginning but stopped after the abysmal Tommyknockers, not returning until the Dark Tower series. Reading only that, I was reintroduced by a friend with "Under the Dome". When I saw the 11/22/63 book in the stores, I had to have it. I'm glad I picked it up.
    I think it in the top 5 of his books.
    Just as an aside, I recently read the "Game of Thrones" series and was appalled at the way the author does not allow for the characters to receive their proper vengence for the wrongs commited upon them. Instead, more often than naught, he kills off antaganizors and vengeance seekers alike in useless ways. A huge disappointment to this fan. I believe he could take a few lessons from Mr. King in the rightful vengence catagory.
    Alas, I stray...
    None the less, I did enjoy the book and agree with Stephen's finale; it was truly, the only sound solution.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678