Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
The New Ka-Tet Cantina - Page 294

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 294 of 368 FirstFirst ... 194244284292293294295296304344 ... LastLast
Results 2,931 to 2,940 of 3672

Thread: The New Ka-Tet Cantina

Default Re: The New Ka-Tet Cantina

Quote Originally Posted by cat in a bag View Post
    Yummy! We called those pigs in a blanket. I don't know why, because it's beef, not pork! I love to make those. I just unwrap mine from the cabbage before I eat it. I'm just not a fan of cabbage!
    Pigs in a blanket here are usually a hot dog with a slice of cheese baked inside a crescent roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Pigs in a blanket here are usually a hot dog with a slice of cheese baked inside a crescent roll.
    Yep, I call those pigs in a blanket too!

Yep, I call those pigs in a blanket too!
    I think I'd like the beef, onion, and cabbage recipe a lot more. I haven't made the hot dog version since the kids were little.

What are y'all talking about?! You American folk sure do eat funny...these are pigs in blankets over here! Yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I think I'd like the beef, onion, and cabbage recipe a lot more. I haven't made the hot dog version since the kids were little.
    It's basically like a meatloaf mixture, plus the rice, and then you make them into big meatballs, and wrap them in the cabbage before baking. I usually use a big roaster and put potatoes in to bake along side them, and pour a little of the tomato sauce over the potatoes too.

I don't make the hot dog version too often, but sometimes it's a nice, quick easy meal. The kids do love them!

It's basically like a meatloaf mixture, plus the rice, and then you make them into big meatballs, and wrap them in the cabbage before baking. I usually use a big roaster and put potatoes in to bake along side them, and pour a little of the tomato sauce over the potatoes too.

I don't make the hot dog version too often, but sometimes it's a nice, quick easy meal. The kids do love them!
    Sounds like what we call cabbage rolls but they're not done in meatball shape--they're more of a loaf shape consistent with the cabbage leaf, and my recollection is there's a tomato component, too, similar to stuffed peppers. In fact, the cabbage rolls stuffing is probably the same as is in stuffed peppers now that I think of it. Been quite a while since I've made them and it was a once-in-a-while dish as the kids weren't fond of it and my S.O. has a problem with digesting the cabbage.

STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS - POLISH
    GOLUMPKI
    2 c. cooked rice
    1 to 1 1/2 lbs. raw ground beef
    1/4 c. diced, minced onion
    1/4 tsp. salt & pepper
    1 med. green head of cabbage
    SAUCE:
    1 can tomato soup
    1 bouillon cube, dissolved in 1/2 can of water
    2 tbsp. sour cream
    Mix together the rice, raw ground beef and onion. Boil the head of cabbage after coring it, just to loosen the leaves for about 3 to 5 minutes. Take 1 leaf out at a time and fill it with approximately 2 tablespoonfuls of rice-meat mixture. Fold it over horizontally and then bring in the sides of leaf to make a pocket. Arrange in a covered casserole dish or roasting pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
    Mix the sauce ingredients until creamy and spoon over the finished golumpki. Serve with rye bread and Polish sausage. Serves about 6 to 8 people.

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/up..._RR_031009.JPG

Okay, I lied--imagine that --these are real pigs in blankets.

Ooh, and the stuffed cabbage leaves sound very similar to Greek dolmades, except the ingredients--with a hint of mint--are wrapped in vine leaves! Yummmmy...I'm hungry...again.

Me, too! And that Lean Cuisine frozen dinner I'll be nuking for lunch doesn't sound nearly as appetizing.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ally~ View Post
    Okay, I lied--imagine that --these are real pigs in blankets.

Ooh, and the stuffed cabbage leaves sound very similar to Greek dolmades, except the ingredients--with a hint of mint--are wrapped in vine leaves! Yummmmy...I'm hungry...again.
    That looks like little smokies (I have no idea what the British version of those would be) wrapped in bacon with brown sugar atop, and then you bake them. Is it? Because my brother-in-law makes those, and ... I can never be in the same room with them again. It's for my own good.