Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What are you reading? (continued) - Page 120

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 120 of 229 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 2289

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

Well, it took me 3 weeks (some travel interruptions, and spring chores, as well) but I finally finished the Stephen Ambrose book "D-Day June 6, 1944; The Climactic Battle of WWII". Please don't think that anything about this book itself was why I was so slow to finish! In fact, it was just the opposite. I kept wanting to sit down with it and do nothing but read. I could go on and on about this book. But, simply put, I wish EVERYBODY would read this story. You will learn, you will cry, you will be overwhelmed, you will feel you were there. It is not so much a "history book",( although it is an excellent one of those) as it is a story of life and death, heroism, bravery, and courage. Much of the material is first-hand quotes from the men who were there, who lived to tell the story of that day. I have read several other Stephen Ambrose books, but this one was quite a step above the others, due to the subject, I suspect. I am so grateful that I chose it that day at the library. I'm ready to go back to fiction for a bit, (I downloaded "Double Feature" on my Kindle) but I'm telling you, you owe it to yourself...and to every one of the men who were on those beaches...to take the time to read this book.

Just finished Horns.Starting John Dies at the End by David Wong

Beginning SK's Black House.

Rereading The Running Man by Stephen King cause I have nothing better to do today and just because.

Reading Reamde by Neal Stephenson, only 800ish pages to go. And this is printed in really small font, I think I'll finish this later... this decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    Glad I could help! Let me know what you think.
    Shasta: I finished The Lovesong of Jonny Valentine. What a good read! Thanks for suggesting it.
    I thought going into it that the first person narration by an 11 year old might get tired after a while, but it did not and the author did a great job of sustaining it throughout. Although it is easy to picture all of what happens in the book as being based on Justin Beiber's career, I soon got past that as the character of Jonny Valentine became more developed with each chapter. There's nothing earth shattering to the story but it certainly makes you think and wonder about fame, family, friendship, the media and a host of other subjects. Great book!

Quote Originally Posted by carrie's younger brother View Post
    Shasta: I finished The Lovesong of Jonny Valentine. What a good read! Thanks for suggesting it.
    I thought going into it that the first person narration by an 11 year old might get tired after a while, but it did not and the author did a great job of sustaining it throughout. Although it is easy to picture all of what happens in the book as being based on Justin Beiber's career, I soon got past that as the character of Jonny Valentine became more developed with each chapter. There's nothing earth shattering to the story but it certainly makes you think and wonder about fame, family, friendship, the media and a host of other subjects. Great book!
    Have either you or Shasta ever read The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread by Don Robertson? It is a really amazing novel told from the perspective of a nine year old boy named Morris Bird III, his perspective on the world around him and what he does when a major catastrophe happens while he and his sister are on an adventure thru the city. There were two sequels. It has been stated by King that Robertson was a major influence on his own writing. I picked this book up years ago after reading about what King had to say about it, read it, LOVED it and have all of Robertson's books on my shelf. The guy was an amazing writer! King even used his own imprint- Philtrum Press- to publish one of Don's novels- The Ideal Genuine Man.

Quote Originally Posted by carrie's younger brother View Post
    It's literally like you just wrote all of my opinions on the book.

I thought it was going to be difficult to maintain the voice of an 11-year-old throughout but he did such a great job and the slight changes in

his character growth were so slight and well done that I didn't even notice when they were happening.

Glad you liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    Have either you or Shasta ever read The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread by Don Robertson? It is a really amazing novel told from the perspective of a nine year old boy named Morris Bird III, his perspective on the world around him and what he does when a major catastrophe happens while he and his sister are on an adventure thru the city. There were two sequels. It has been stated by King that Robertson was a major influence on his own writing. I picked this book up years ago after reading about what King had to say about it, read it, LOVED it and have all of Robertson's books on my shelf. The guy was an amazing writer! King even used his own imprint- Philtrum Press- to publish one of Don's novels- The Ideal Genuine Man.
    Nope, but I just put it on my Goodreads list. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    Just looked it up on Amazon and it is not available for Kindle, which is the only way I read books now since I have no room for any physical books (except those by SK) at home. It sounds very interesting though and will check back on Amazon once in a while to see if it becomes available. Thanks.