Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What are you reading? (continued) - Page 171

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 171 of 229 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 2289

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

Quote Originally Posted by MadamMack View Post
    I want to check him out too! So many books and so little time. I just can't get into audio books . . .I have to read. I want to hear the characters in my head in the voices I create. I know audio books make so many people very happy but I just don't get it . . .if the writer is good I don't need anyone to tell me the story . . .the writer will put me there.
    I prefer to read but I enjoy audiobooks too. I only listen to audiobooks in situations that I wouldn't be able to read like walking the dog, doing yard work and driving long distances. I like to listen to the audiobooks of books I've read before and want to re-read. Most of the audiobooks I've listened to are books that I've already read. I think they are a great way to do a re-read (so to speak).
    Last edited by fljoe0; July 18th, 2013 at 05:37 PM.

I've tried . . .they put me sleep. I'd rather listen to music and read books.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Queen View Post
    I know audio books make so many people very happy but I just don't get it . . .if the writer is good I don't need anyone to tell me the story . . .the writer will put me there.

I've felt this way too for a long time, MadamMack, then I listened to 'The Gingerbread Girl' by SK and the story was pretty good. So I decided to listen to something else, but I tried some dramatizations first-Homer's Odyssey, Murder on the Orient Express(two great ones!), Humor Me-I'm Your Mother, and Just Wait 'til you Have Children of your Own(2 very humorous and heartwarming books)...and so now I feel like I'm hooked! I'm currently listening to Robin Cook's 'Crisis', it has me very involved. You should give an audio another try, you might find you will like it.

Here's another thing about me . . .I can't do re-reads. I have a very strong memory and re-reads bore me . . .when I read . . .I read. It's just me and the book and I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    I prefer to read but I enjoy audiobooks too. I only listen to audiobooks in situations that I wouldn't be able to read like walking the dog, doing yard work and driving long distances. I like to listen to the audiobooks of books I've read before and want to re-read. Most of the audiobooks I've listened to are books that I've already read. I think they are a great way to do a re-read (so to speak).

Here's another thing about me . . .I can't do re-reads. I have a very strong memory and re-reads bore me . . .when I read . . .I read. It's just me and the book and I'm there.
    I used to be able to do re-reads and happily, but now I'm finding it to be just like you said M.M--they're making me bored.
    I just re-read The Shining this year and.... wait is Stephen watching? I'm sure he wouldn't mind, as I enjoyed it immensely the first time round... but anyway, I struggled to finish it.
    *gulp* That still feels a little bit like mutiny to admit to.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

I don't think Stephen does re-reads . . .I could be wrong but I think he said that in one of his interviews. I'm almost certain he said that . . .if I need a refresher I'll open pages at random and read a few lines through out the book and then it all comes flooding back.

I don't think Stephen does re-reads . . .I could be wrong but I think he said that in one of his interviews. I'm almost certain he said that . . .if I need a refresher I'll open pages at random and read a few lines through out the book and then it all comes flooding back.
    I used to be able to do that too, I miss it actually--I think my kids haven eaten away parts of my brain.
    Now there's a story for you, Stephen! (He's probably already done it... *sigh*)
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeNoir View Post
    I used to be able to do re-reads and happily, but now I'm finding it to be just like you said M.M--they're making me bored.
    I just re-read The Shining this year and.... wait is Stephen watching? I'm sure he wouldn't mind, as I enjoyed it immensely the first time round... but anyway, I struggled to finish it.
    *gulp* That still feels a little bit like mutiny to admit to.
    Me too! And with The Shining as well! I thought it was just me! The same thing happened with The Stand (took me for ever to get through that reread) and Talisman (stopped about a quarter of the way in).

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

I think it's incredible how much info is stored in your brain and you don't even realize it. I re read The Dead Zone a few months back. I read it in 1979 or 1980 and couldn't remember much about it. As I was reading it again, everything just came flooding back. As I was going along, I started remembering everything that I hadn't got to yet and some passages seemed like I had just read them yesterday. I even started remembering the circumstances of where I was when I was reading it the first time. It was pretty amazing how just a few pages jump-started the memory.

Yes, exactly Joe! My memory is amazing. Somebody should study my brain. I'm not trying to brag or anything but my memory is pretty awesome as well as my hearing.

Yes, exactly Joe! My memory is amazing. Somebody should study my brain. I'm not trying to brag or anything but my memory is pretty awesome as well as my hearing.
    I have X-ray vision and can summon storms at will. Let's start a superhero team!
    Just ribbing you, MadamMack!