Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What are you reading? (continued) - Page 171

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 171 of 229 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 2289

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

  1. #1701
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory
    Posts
    2,805

    Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by MadamMack View Post
    I want to check him out too! So many books and so little time. I just can't get into audio books . . .I have to read. I want to hear the characters in my head in the voices I create. I know audio books make so many people very happy but I just don't get it . . .if the writer is good I don't need anyone to tell me the story . . .the writer will put me there.
    I prefer to read but I enjoy audiobooks too. I only listen to audiobooks in situations that I wouldn't be able to read like walking the dog, doing yard work and driving long distances. I like to listen to the audiobooks of books I've read before and want to re-read. Most of the audiobooks I've listened to are books that I've already read. I think they are a great way to do a re-read (so to speak).
    Last edited by fljoe0; July 18th, 2013 at 05:37 PM.

  2. #1702
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Parked.
    Posts
    6,093

    Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

    I've tried . . .they put me sleep. I'd rather listen to music and read books.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Queen View Post
    I know audio books make so many people very happy but I just don't get it . . .if the writer is good I don't need anyone to tell me the story . . .the writer will put me there.


    I've felt this way too for a long time, MadamMack, then I listened to 'The Gingerbread Girl' by SK and the story was pretty good. So I decided to listen to something else, but I tried some dramatizations first-Homer's Odyssey, Murder on the Orient Express(two great ones!), Humor Me-I'm Your Mother, and Just Wait 'til you Have Children of your Own(2 very humorous and heartwarming books)...and so now I feel like I'm hooked! I'm currently listening to Robin Cook's 'Crisis', it has me very involved. You should give an audio another try, you might find you will like it.

  3. #1703
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Parked.
    Posts
    6,093

    Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

    Here's another thing about me . . .I can't do re-reads. I have a very strong memory and re-reads bore me . . .when I read . . .I read. It's just me and the book and I'm there.

    Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    I prefer to read but I enjoy audiobooks too. I only listen to audiobooks in situations that I wouldn't be able to read like walking the dog, doing yard work and driving long distances. I like to listen to the audiobooks of books I've read before and want to re-read. Most of the audiobooks I've listened to are books that I've already read. I think they are a great way to do a re-read (so to speak).

  4. #1704
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    3,901

    Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by MadamMack View Post
    Here's another thing about me . . .I can't do re-reads. I have a very strong memory and re-reads bore me . . .when I read . . .I read. It's just me and the book and I'm there.
    I used to be able to do re-reads and happily, but now I'm finding it to be just like you said M.M--they're making me bored.
    I just re-read The Shining this year and.... wait is Stephen watching? I'm sure he wouldn't mind, as I enjoyed it immensely the first time round... but anyway, I struggled to finish it.
    *gulp* That still feels a little bit like mutiny to admit to.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

  5. #1705
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Parked.
    Posts
    6,093

    Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

    I don't think Stephen does re-reads . . .I could be wrong but I think he said that in one of his interviews. I'm almost certain he said that . . .if I need a refresher I'll open pages at random and read a few lines through out the book and then it all comes flooding back.

  6. #1706
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    3,901

    Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by MadamMack View Post
    I don't think Stephen does re-reads . . .I could be wrong but I think he said that in one of his interviews. I'm almost certain he said that . . .if I need a refresher I'll open pages at random and read a few lines through out the book and then it all comes flooding back.
    I used to be able to do that too, I miss it actually--I think my kids haven eaten away parts of my brain.
    Now there's a story for you, Stephen! (He's probably already done it... *sigh*)
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

  7. #1707
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    834

    Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by FlakeNoir View Post
    I used to be able to do re-reads and happily, but now I'm finding it to be just like you said M.M--they're making me bored.
    I just re-read The Shining this year and.... wait is Stephen watching? I'm sure he wouldn't mind, as I enjoyed it immensely the first time round... but anyway, I struggled to finish it.
    *gulp* That still feels a little bit like mutiny to admit to.
    Me too! And with The Shining as well! I thought it was just me! The same thing happened with The Stand (took me for ever to get through that reread) and Talisman (stopped about a quarter of the way in).

  8. #1708
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory
    Posts
    2,805

    Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by MadamMack View Post
    I don't think Stephen does re-reads . . .I could be wrong but I think he said that in one of his interviews. I'm almost certain he said that . . .if I need a refresher I'll open pages at random and read a few lines through out the book and then it all comes flooding back.
    I think it's incredible how much info is stored in your brain and you don't even realize it. I re read The Dead Zone a few months back. I read it in 1979 or 1980 and couldn't remember much about it. As I was reading it again, everything just came flooding back. As I was going along, I started remembering everything that I hadn't got to yet and some passages seemed like I had just read them yesterday. I even started remembering the circumstances of where I was when I was reading it the first time. It was pretty amazing how just a few pages jump-started the memory.

  9. #1709
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Parked.
    Posts
    6,093

    Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

    Yes, exactly Joe! My memory is amazing. Somebody should study my brain. I'm not trying to brag or anything but my memory is pretty awesome as well as my hearing.

  10. #1710
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    834

    Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

    Quote Originally Posted by MadamMack View Post
    Yes, exactly Joe! My memory is amazing. Somebody should study my brain. I'm not trying to brag or anything but my memory is pretty awesome as well as my hearing.
    I have X-ray vision and can summon storms at will. Let's start a superhero team!
    Just ribbing you, MadamMack!

Similar Threads

  1. What's Your Theme Song Today (continued)
    By J.T. Adams in forum Chattery Teeth (Other)
    Replies: 2094
    Last Post: October 29th, 2013, 01:50 AM
  2. Anyone else find themselves blurting Calla-speak after reading this?
    By AntD NineNineteen in forum The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: October 17th, 2013, 10:42 AM
  3. Reading Storm of the Century
    By michal in forum Storm of the Century
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: October 5th, 2013, 11:16 AM
  4. What's on your Stephen King reading list?
    By dsurrett in forum General Discussion & Questions
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: October 3rd, 2013, 06:51 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2013, 08:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •