Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What are you reading? (continued) - Page 20

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 20 of 229 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

Later on today, I should definitely be finishing The Knife of Never Letting Go. Yay!
    I'll be sure to let everyone know my thoughts/opinion(s) on it once I'm done. But as of now (88%) it is a very engaging, suspenseful, and highly addictive story. I'm just have a sinking feeling that it's going to end with a major cliffhanger, since this is the 1st in the Walking Chaos series...

Finished A Winter's Haunting over the weekend...I just didn't like it, say sorry. The storyline was just all over the place, and it never really came together.

Started McCammon's Gone South, and also reading Everything's Eventual again.

I'm reading The Source of Magic by Piers Anthony. It's really good so far...and the rhyming couplets are easy to understand.

I am rereading On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, by Stephen King. First read was about five years ago, I guess. I am really loving it for two reasons: 1) It's so very well written, funny, so Steve; and, 2) It's most inspiring now since I'm trying my own hand a little. I appreciate knowing there's a reference book I can understand and trust and which will inspire me. I've read fiction most of my lengthy life, have a number of favorite authors, but sK was the first one, partly due to OW, to cause me to give story writing a real try myself. And so far, in its way, writing is as satisfying and therapeutic as anything I've ever done, including painting which, due to Duma Key, I've started again! .

I am rereading On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, by Stephen King. First read was about five years ago, I guess. I am really loving it for two reasons: 1) It's so very well written, funny, so Steve; and, 2) It's most inspiring now since I'm trying my own hand a little. I appreciate knowing there's a reference book I can understand and trust and which will inspire me. I've read fiction most of my lengthy life, have a number of favorite authors, but sK was the first one, partly due to OW, to cause me to give story writing a real try myself. And so far, in its way, writing is as satisfying and therapeutic as anything I've ever done, including painting which, due to Duma Key, I've started again! .
    Wow, that is WONDERFUL, Frank!
    I've always found On Writing to very inspirational and informative. And Uncle Stevie wrote it in layman's terms, so it's easily understood. Upon my second reading (roughly 8 years ago,) I went so far as to take notes. I recommend it.

So I said that I'd get back to everyone about The Knife of Never Letting Go.... and my suspicions were correct. It ends with a MAJOR cliffhanger. Now I really want to know more!

February Books Read

6. CDs --Spider Bones by Kathy Reichs
    7. CDs --Life of Pi by Yann Martel
    8. Book -- The Nightmare Thief by Meg Gardiner
    9. Book --PorkPie Hat by Peter Straub
    10. Book --Dracula's Heir by Sam Stahl
    11. CDs --The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, pt. 2 by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    12. CDs --Interred With Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell
    13. Kindle --Seven Stories by Brian Jeams Freeman
    14. Kindle --Now Write! Mysteries by various authors
    15. Chapbook -- Island Funeral by Keith Minnon
    16. CDs -- Fatal Error by J.A. Jance
    17. CDs -- The Black Cat by Martha Grimes
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

A group of science-fiction novels by one Philip K. Dick, first story Martian Time Slip.

I just finished "A Clockwork Orange" the other day and started "1984" yesterday. I've been on a dystopia kick for a while now. Eagerly awaiting SK's "The Wind Through the Keyhole."

Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by sprinco12 View Post
    I'm reading For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway for an English Independent Study and I just finished The Great Gatsby for English 4. I will be starting on 11/22/63 on Sunday or Monday. (Gotta have something to read for school.) Has anybody read For Whom the Bell Tolls? I seriously hope that it gets better, but it's something I dread having to read every day.
    I have not read For Whom the Bell Tolls, but I have read The Sun Also Rises, and it is genius in its simplicity. I can't imagine dreading being forced to read Hemingway, he is my favorite writer.

I just started Nightmares and Dreamscapes. I enjoyed reading the Introduction. I have a new Favorite quote.

"You don't have anything to lose when you take your first whack at the pinata, but to take a second one (and a third ... and a fourth ... and a thirty-forth) is to risk failure, depression..."

I always take a second whack and usually land on my face, but giving up isn't an option. So, If I keep trying I'll eventually get a hit.