Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What are you reading? (continued) - Page 21

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 21 of 229 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

I'm reading Jane and Prudence, by Barbara Pym. It's a slice of middle class life in 1950's England. Nothing really happens, except maybe 'life', but it is so well written, that one doesn't notice. Very funny as well.

Oh and I just got into David Copperfield, but the authors name escapes me. I'll let you know when I remember.

I have just started reading all the Raymond Chandler books- finding them hard to get into at the moment,anyone else out there read them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    February Books Read

6. CDs --Spider Bones by Kathy Reichs
    7. CDs --Life of Pi by Yann Martel
    8. Book -- The Nightmare Thief by Meg Gardiner
    9. Book --PorkPie Hat by Peter Straub
    10. Book --Dracula's Heir by Sam Stahl
    11. CDs --The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, pt. 2 by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    12. CDs --Interred With Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell
    13. Kindle --Seven Stories by Brian Jeams Freeman
    14. Kindle --Now Write! Mysteries by various authors
    15. Chapbook -- Island Funeral by Keith Minnon
    16. CDs -- Fatal Error by J.A. Jance
    17. CDs -- The Black Cat by Martha Grimes
    Dracula's Heir is described in Amazon as an interactive novel. What did you think of this idea and was the story memorable?

Well, it had some interesting aspects about it. I'm pretty sure this was marketed to the young adult/children audience, but it was on sale at B & N for 6 bucks, so I grabbed it and thought, what the hell. It reminded me of Bev Vincent's book on Steve with the pockets of surprises, only in this case, they were clues. I did figure it out before the end, but I must say, it was sort of fun. Kind of like one of those mystery puzzles you put together.

There is a missing chapter from Dracula included, which apparently was edited out of the original. When I first listened to Dracula on audio, I thought it was pretty good. To be able to read an additional chapter not in the original was great.
    And, it's actually a pretty little book that is quick to read. If you are an adult who doesn't particularly care to act like a kid, it might be a waste of your time. But, it definitely spoke to that long lost kid reader in me and I enjoyed it.

I definitely wouldn't have paid full price for it, but for 6 bucks, it was worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
    Dracula's Heir is described in Amazon as an interactive novel. What did you think of this idea and was the story memorable?
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

I can't believe how long ago I last posted here...been on the go, but still reading. An eclectic mix to be sure, but my 2012 reads are: "A Wolf at the Table" (Augusten Burroughs); "Turn of Mind" (Alice LaPlante); "The Street Lawyer" (John Grisham); "The Journals of Eleanor Druse" (Richard Dooling); "The Help" (Kathryn Stockett).
    I just finished "The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo" (Stieg Larsson), and have started #2 in the series, "The Girl Who Played With Fire". I liked LaPlante's novel very much, and loved "The Help". The Larsson novel was a goo, quick read, and I'm anxious to get on with the next 2. Home for awhile now, so won't be so long at getting back!

Started Drood by Dan Simmons yesterday...was apprehensive, since I didn't like the other two I recently read by him that much, but, 100 pages in and I like it! Hope it stays that way...

Gonna start with Nothing to lose by Lee Child tomorrow. Is one of those Jack Reacher series. I've read one before and I just love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo87 View Post
    Gonna start with Nothing to lose by Lee Child tomorrow. Is one of those Jack Reacher series. I've read one before and I just love it.
    Me, too, Jojo! The only Jack Reacher novel I've read is Bad Luck and Trouble, and I absolutely loved it. I'd definitely read further into the series.

I got The Passage from pets a few weeks ago, just started it yesterday. Liking it so far...

Dr. Bloodmoney (Or how we got along after the bomb) - Philip K. Dick