This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 223 of 229 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,230 of 2289

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

Oh yeah, I'm a real bad azz---NOT! I'm a huge wimp.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by shookme View Post
    Lovedeath by Dan Simmons and also a little of Stephen Ambrose's Americans at War.
    I just finished a re-read of The Hollow Man not too long ago. I love Dan Simmons!! What a fantastic author he is- he can write in any genre and pull it off spectaculary! He is going to be coming to Seattle towards the end of this month to promote his newest 'Abominable' and I am so going to be there!

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    I just finished a re-read of The Hollow Man not too long ago. I love Dan Simmons!! What a fantastic author he is- he can write in any genre and pull it off spectaculary! He is going to be coming to Seattle towards the end of this month to promote his newest 'Abominable' and I am so going to be there!
    I just ordered a first edition Hollow Man and Prayers to Broken Stones. Also, I grabbed Fires of Eden too.

I'm on my quest to own all of his work! He is an amazing writer.

I'm currently working on The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury.

Finished Doctor Sleep and I really, really enjoyed it but some parts didn’t seem like it was Stephen’s writing. Maybe at this stage in his life he’s expressing himself just a bit differently. Either way I loved it and it was just fine with me.

Now I’m reading Getting Mother's Body by Pulitzer Prize winner Suzan-Lori Parks
    This book is very enjoyable . . .I think I’ll truly enjoy the characters.

Red Storm Rising-Tom Clancy
    Pet Sematery-Mr. King
    Apt Pupil-Mr. King
    Dark Tower book 4, Wizard and Glass-Mr. King

11/22/63

It's just as good on a reread as it was the first time I read it

Just finished Brandon Sanderson's STEELHEART-ok. Next couple are 'have-to-reads' (for review), but maybe I'll get to something I want to read within the next couple of weeks

Quote Originally Posted by shookme View Post
    I just ordered a first edition Hollow Man and Prayers to Broken Stones. Also, I grabbed Fires of Eden too.

I'm on my quest to own all of his work! He is an amazing writer.
    The nice thing about collecting his books is that you can get them at a pretty good price right now as he's not a super star author yet! You can find alot of his books signed at amazing prices on the auction sights. Just be patient, one that you're looking for will eventually come along at a nice price. He is a great author, one that I've admired and enjoyed for a long time now. He always surprises me with his choice of topics, too. He never rests on his laurels...

Quote Originally Posted by MadamMack View Post
    Finished Doctor Sleep and I really, really enjoyed it but some parts didn’t seem like it was Stephen’s writing. Maybe at this stage in his life he’s expressing himself just a bit differently. Either way I loved it and it was just fine with me.
    I'm a shade over 2/3rds of the way through now (a cold and the accompanying headache/nausea zapped my will and ability to read for long, if at all), and I've had similar thoughts. It's not unusual for me to read SK - or anyone - and have back-brain thoughts along the lines of 'That's a shame. I'd have explored this more, that less, and opted for X path over Y', but time I was rolling along quite happily. Then there was a bump. Then another. I've just got past a certain point in proceedings and thought 'What the hell was the point in all the other stuff, then? Why bother?' because the 'twist' was too predictable and seemed to lead nowhere in the end. It was most un-King-like (not the predictable twist, but the fact it went nowhere fast). It even made me wonder if this wasn't something he'd started years ago, couldn't get it to work, and dumped what he had in a box somewhere in case he could re-jig it someday. Fair enough, a lot of writers do that. And Doctor Sleep is still a good, enjoyable yarn. But still...for me there's a patch of rough road after the smooth macadam of the first 40-50%.