This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 26 of 229 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

Just last night, I embarked on a re-read of the Eragon books (I-III,) in preparation of the final volume, Inheritance.

Plus, I should be done with Wizard & Glass relatively soon (I'm at 78%.)

Happy reading, everyone!

The Hunger Games.

So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by skootie View Post
    When I last posted, I had just finished "The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo" by Stieg Larsson. I followed through the series, finishing "The Girl Who Played with Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest". The first was my favorite, the last my least favorite, but I'm glad I read them all. Next, I saw a copy of "Killing Lincoln" at the library, so decided to read it. It was a pretty quick read, and I found the history interesting. I will most likely read "Killing Kennedy" when I get a copy. Last but not at all least, I have just finished "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" by David Wroblewski. By far and away the best book I have read in some time. I bought a hard back copy (like new) at a garage sale last summer, and finally just got around to digging it out. Beautiful, gut-wrenching story. If you haven't read this book, you should. I have no idea what I am going to read now; I feel drained from the Sawtelle saga. Maybe I'll just re-read Edgar's story...it's just so damned sad and beautiful.
    I recommend Edgar Sawtelle to everyone I know who reads- it really is an amazingly touching novel!!

Since there's a movie being made from it, I finally dragged Stephen Rebello's Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho off my shelf. I've had it for a decade; figured it was well past time to give it a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Srbo View Post
    The Hunger Games.

So far, so good.
    I'm assuming there's no sparkling teenage vampires.............sorry, couldn't resist. Good to see you back, SRBO!!!!

I thought I would give Anne Rice's The Wolf Gift a try. I cannot say it is very great. Am about 30% of the way through it. It really doesn't even seem like an Anne Rice book, the long descriptive paragraphs are just not there, and all of the writing seems stilted and just stubby. If it didn't say Anne Rice on the cover, I wouldn't think it was her writing it. Just doesn't have her style. I will finish it, but am glad I just borrowed it from the library.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in a bag View Post
    I thought I would give Anne Rice's The Wolf Gift a try. I cannot say it is very great. Am about 30% of the way through it. It really doesn't even seem like an Anne Rice book, the long descriptive paragraphs are just not there, and all of the writing seems stilted and just stubby. If it didn't say Anne Rice on the cover, I wouldn't think it was her writing it. Just doesn't have her style. I will finish it, but am glad I just borrowed it from the library.
    I've heard both positive and negative things about it, Cat. Mostly negative, though.. it's sad because she is such an AMAZING writer, IMO..

Well, as I've said in the social groups, I'm reading A Game of Thrones and it is absolutely fantastic. So I probably won't get to The Wind through the Keyhole for three months because I believe I'm going to read all five of the books in a row. After I finish the Ice and Fire books I'll get to WTTK and then Smonk by Tom Franklin. Sounds like a lot of good readin' in my future.

Skeleton Crew by Stephen King.

Oh NO! I came to list my April books read -- I did not read ONE book in April! No matter when I start them, I don't write them in my book journal until they are finished. So, even though I have about 6 books going, I did not finish any of them in the month of April.

I have forgotten the face of my father.