Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What are you reading? (continued) - Page 36

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 36 of 229 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Becks19 View Post
    I am getting ready to start "The Haunted by Bentley Little". According to the back cover, Little is supposed to be on par with such greats as Stephen King, Clive Barker, and Peter Straub. We shall see!
    I love his work and came to know of him because of Stephen. As I've stated before, The Walking is my favorite by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesy View Post
    I'm reading "From a Buick 8" at the moment. Just finished Duma Key, Rose Madder, Bag of Bones, Dolores Claiborne, The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon. Oh yes - and "Lisey's Story" which was a bit hard to get into, but I'm glad I persevered as it got much better after a while. That is the first Stephen King book which I really had to make myself carry on reading as it was way different from others of his that I've read. Years and years ago I read a lot of his oldies but goodies (in the 70s and 80s) but then forgot all about how much I liked his books. I recently started back with 11/22/63 which was followed by Under the Dome. I still have "Full Dark" which I got from the library which is a collection of four stories. I gotta say - I love this guy's writing! p.s. I don't know how to change my avatar. Is that pathetic or what?
    Welcome back into the King world! You have lots of great books to read now!

Quote Originally Posted by Neesy View Post
    I'm reading "From a Buick 8" at the moment. Just finished Duma Key, Rose Madder, Bag of Bones, Dolores Claiborne, The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon. Oh yes - and "Lisey's Story" which was a bit hard to get into, but I'm glad I persevered as it got much better after a while. That is the first Stephen King book which I really had to make myself carry on reading as it was way different from others of his that I've read. Years and years ago I read a lot of his oldies but goodies (in the 70s and 80s) but then forgot all about how much I liked his books. I recently started back with 11/22/63 which was followed by Under the Dome. I still have "Full Dark" which I got from the library which is a collection of four stories. I gotta say - I love this guy's writing! p.s. I don't know how to change my avatar. Is that pathetic or what?
    Hi, Neesy, welcome to the Board (keep posting, please.)

I think it's just wonderful that 11/22/63 brought you back to the SK Universe. And that you persevered through Lisey's Story, as well.
    Enjoy FDNS.

I am getting ready to start "The Haunted by Bentley Little". According to the back cover, Little is supposed to be on par with such greats as Stephen King, Clive Barker, and Peter Straub. We shall see!
    Hi, Becks- I've only read The Store, by Bentley Little, but I enjoyed it very much. And if memory serves me correctly, I believe there's a nice blurb by SK, which persuaded me to try it. I'm sure glad I did!

Just finished Damned by Chuck Palahniuk, the first of his books I've been able to make it all the way through. His books tend to be too sarcastic/ironic for me. I don't like being reminded that I'm reading a book, no matter how clever the author is.

With that said, it was an interesting premise; chubby, teenaged daughter of ultrawealthy hollywood narcissists dies, goes to hell, ends up running the place. If I had to describe it in one word it would be "cute".

Just started The Windup Girl.

Hi, Becks- I've only read The Store, by Bentley Little, but I enjoyed it very much. And if memory serves me correctly, I believe there's a nice blurb by SK, which persuaded me to try it. I'm sure glad I did!
    Concerning Bentley Little The Haunted I should warn you all, that it contains quite a bit (overkill) of mature graphic subject matter. It wasn't the haunted, scare my socks off, creepy tale I was after.

I am really, really hoping to finally finish my re-read of Eragon today! For some strange reason, I haven't been able to concentrate for longer than a paragraph or two, and it's getting VERY old! GrrrR!
    I WILL keep trying, though..

Knife Edge by Shaun Hutson

I wasn't sure after "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" what I would pick up next, but finally settled upon "Black House". It was among a number of SK books given to me by a friend of mine who had acquired them from a woman who had recently passed away. It actually was a fairly large collection, and I took several of the volumes I knew I had never read, "Black House" being one of them. I did not initially realize that "Black House" was the sequel to "The Talisman", and suppose I should have stopped reading it when I figured that out, and read the latter first. But, at that point, I was far enough along to just keep going. It was not one of my quicker reads, but I liked it, and think now I have finally whetted my appetite enough to begin The Dark Tower series. (Although I will most likely pick up and read "The Talisman" first.) Henry and Beezer were my favorite characters. Although it took me some time to get into the story, once I did, I was eager to continue and finish. "The Talisman" is not one of the books my friend gave me, so until I can obtain a copy of it at the library, I am starting "From A Buick 8", which is one of the others she passed on to me.

Quote Originally Posted by randallFlaggfan1 View Post
    Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher?!? NO WAY!!
    Ive read all of the Jack Reacher books and I loved them , but I have to agree, there is NO WAY Tom Cruise could play the character,my god there is not a more unlikely person to play it!! Plus is would spoil it for me as I do not like him as an actor anyway.