Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What are you reading? (continued) - Page 58

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 58 of 229 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Norrbotten View Post
    I'm reading Night Stone by Rick Hautala. Real old school horror, in a good way. Too bad Hautala's novels are so hard to find in my local libraries/book stores.
    Piece of trivia for you--Rick and Steve attended UMO together and he also lives in Maine. Nice guy.

He sometimes jokingly refers to himself as the other writer from Maine.

I'm mid-way through "The Forgotten Man", by Amity Shales. Sub-titled "A New History of the Great Depression", it's a good read so far. Very weird, in a way, as so much of what was spoken back in the '30's we are hearing today, almost verbatim. Lots of detail, but easy reading, and quite interesting.
    I bought a copy of "The Gunslinger" (and also "11/22/63") yesterday, and really want to start with the Dark Tower series, so am thinking about reading "The Gunslinger" when I finish this. Wondering if I should read "The Talisman" first? I read "Black House" this past spring, and realized too late I should have read "The Talisman" first, so think that might be the case as well before I get into the Dark Tower books. I'm just not that familiar with the connections between the books.

RE-reading The Big Sleep for, like, the 50th time. Nobody does it like Chandler. Here, dig:

"Rain filled the gutters and splashed knee-high off the sidewalk. Big cops in slickers that shone like gun barrels had a lot of fun carrying giggling girls across the bad places. The rain drummed hard on the the roof of the car and the burbank top began to leak. A pool of water formed on the floorboards for me to keep my feet in. It was too early in the fall for that kind of rain. I stuggled into a trench coat and made a dah for the nearest drugstore and bought myself a pint of whiskey. Back in the car I used enough of it to keep warm and interested. I was long overparked, but the cops were too busy carrying girls and blowing whistles to bother about that."

Quote Originally Posted by not_nadine View Post

I was so tempted to look at her crazy and tell her that I was his number one fan.
    Oh you dirty birdie,I think you'll find I'm his number one fan

The Sign and the Seal - Graham Hancock (I can't get enough of Graham Hancock,I'm his number one fan)

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Chances are she's one of "those" who hasn't even read any of his work and dismisses it because it's not (in her opinion) "literary." Her loss.

Finished Niceville by Carsten Stroud and the reviewer was right. Kinda choppy. Meh. But it is the first in a trilogy, I will try the second to see if it comes together. Going to pick up The Prophet by Michael Koryta waiting for me at the library.

Quote Originally Posted by AchtungBaby View Post
    I actually had a similar experience, Nadine. I was paying out at the local thrift shop. Of course I had a stack of books I wanted to buy - Stephen King, Dean Koontz. The cashier said "Oh, I love Dean Koontz. He is the man!" and I replies "Yeah... King is probably my favorite author." To that she made a face like she had just sucked a lemon and said "Ugh, no. He just...no."

Pissed me off. She'd probably just seen a couple of the movies or something.
    She prefers Dean Koontz over Mr. King?????????? Koontz is ok but give me King everytime!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    He sometimes jokingly refers to himself as the other writer from Maine.
    just reading a review of a book of shorts stories of his, he said he was "the other horror writer from Maine". Have to check him out.