This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 68 of 229 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

I'm reading a non-SK book called "Game of Thrones" written by George R.R. Martin. I saw the first episode of the TV series and wanted to read the books. I saw the first one on sale at Sam's Club and bought it. Pretty interesting so far.

Finally I am very, very close to the end of Gerald's Game, have just about 30 pages to go. I think I will finish it in about two days and I will tell what I think of it then

After this I am going to start reading Full Dark, No Stars. I so want to read the book, now it is time to do it.

The Talisman

I just finished reading Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury and would put that right up there with Stephen's On Writing.

I love Ray. His short story collections are really terrific. I don't like every story he writes, but pretty damn close. The stories I hear about him and the stories he tells himself (many available on Youtube) just make me respect this guy so much.

He was so poor as a kid that when he graduated from high school, he had to wear a hand-me-down suit -- a suit his uncle was shot to death in! They were so poor, they didn't even have the money to mend the bullet holes so they remained. Go listen to Ray, he was a generous, giving man to up-and-coming writers. Encouraging, helpful, mentor. The true meaning of author.

Marsha, have you finished The Light Between Oceans yet? If so, did you like it?

I finished it on Saturday, bawling my eyes out. It's one I'll be thinking about for a while and, with hesitation, can say I liked it. Not because it wasn't good--I thought it was well-written but the subject mater really does make you think about how one choice can affect so many lives. I was surprised at how it turned out as well--had thought it would turn out differently.

Yes, and not just a choice, but one made with truly only good intentions. Does make you think a lot! I'm glad you liked it.

The Truth by Peter James. A chilling fantasy of control through terror, that makes this a book you just cannot put down!

Am reading And Quiet Flows The Don by Mikhail Sholokhov. Learning so much about the Russian people.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in a bag View Post
    Yes, and not just a choice, but one made with truly only good intentions. Does make you think a lot! I'm glad you liked it.
    That's just it. There wasn't any malice on anyone's part but even the best intentions can have dire consequences.

Did you think, though, that it was a sudden turnabout by Lucy/Grace after she'd been lost? After having been so set on going back to Isabel and Tom, it seemed like her bonding with Hannah didn't ring true and that there was a piece missing as to why she would have.