This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 80 of 229 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    I usually stay away from books I find girly but a guy gave me his Jodi Picoult books and I finally read them for want of something better. I am pleasantly blown away!!!!!!! Nineteen Minutes and My Sister's Keeper are wonderful books about hard topics. I recommend them to everyone.
    People are always surprised because I like her. The books due tend to be formulaic but I really like that they make me think!

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post

I also bought "The Passage" to read on the plane when I travel for Thanksgiving because of this thread!
    I just started "The Passage" as well, based on reading the reviews here on SKMB. So far, so good.

The Shining and I Thought You Were Dead simutaneously...and sitting waiting is a borrowed copy of Water For Elephants...so much to read, so little time...

The Talisman, at the moment. Also reading from one of the great short story collections from Sai King.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Just finished "Mother Night" by Kurt Vonnegut, probably my 3rd time around for this one.

This is one of Kurt's best. He wrote this in in 1961 and it is about a famous American playwright, Howard Campbell living in Germany before World War II. The story opens in 1961 with Campbell awaiting trial as a Nazi war criminal and writing his memoirs in prison. The CIA approached him before the war to be a secret American spy. Since he is famous in Germany and knows many of the Nazi party higher ups, he is perfect for the job. The CIA has him write and broadcast Nazi propaganda on the radio that is also coded messages to the US. So what happens is that he is helping the CIA but he is also fueling the anti-Semite hatred. Is he doing the right thing? In the introduction, Vonnegut says, "the moral of the story is that you are who you pretend to be, so be careful who you pretend to be."

Of course, this story is done in Vonnegut fashion with absurd characters and absurd situations and is often laugh out loud hilarious. But his humor always has a real serious kick. Highly recommended. It's also a pretty quick read. Vonnegut's books are usually around 200 pages so you can knock them out quick.

Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker. About a fourth of the way in, and it's pretty cool. I forgot how good ol Barker is.

Baby, You're as Sweet as 3.14159265 by Hog Wild This ain't for the faint at heart!!!!

I am back to The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Larson after finishing The Bone Bed by Cornwell. I recommend The Panther by DeMille. I noticed that Evanovich's latest Stephanie Plum book is wending its way through the county to my branch for me. Yea!! I am due a bit of fluff.

I'm reading the new Grisham book The Racketeer. Reminds me of his early books and I'm enjoying it. Previously read In the Tall Grass, My Father's Mask and Throttle. Next is Gone Girl and The Power of One suggested by a friend. The first page of Gone Girl is a husband talking about his fascination of his wife's head. Looking forward to it.

Just started reading the Passage. Just a few pages in but I'm already liking what I see.

Between my knitting and my book and my iPad my flight tonight is going to fly by. Har har.