This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 82 of 229 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I liked it from the beginning. Maybe this one isn't for you.
    Agreed. I just finished it and really enjoyed the story, now I'll have to get a copy of the next one.

I loved The Passage, especially the beginning. It is a wonderful story especially when they go out on their quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    I liked it from the beginning. Maybe this one isn't for you.
    Hmmm. Maybe not. Now my problem is that once I start a book I won't stop so I guess we'll find out!

There is clearly something wrong with me and my boredom of the Passage.

Maybe now that I'm home and not surrounded by my husband's crazy relatives I can focus on it and maybe I'll like it more.

Long time, no post, but I'm finally back after being away and gone much of the fall, and having accomplished precious little reading. A month ago, I made it to the library, however, where I randomly chose a Charles Dickens novel. I can only recall having ever read ONE Dickens story ("Great Expectations") and that was in high school, decades ago, and I remember next to nothing about it. So, I now proudly boast of having just finished "Martin Chuzzlewit"...all 800-plus pages of it! At times, it was a challenge, very wordy, somewhat contrived, but in the end, I stuck with it, simply because it's a GOOD story, with interesting characters (I now know what "pecksniffian" means!) and it was a pleasure to read the language of the time. It left me wanting for more, but the other book I checked out was Nelson DeMille's "Gold Coast", which I'm about 100 pages into now. So far, so good, although just getting started. Will check in again when I finish that up. In the meantime, nice to be back and am enjoying catching up on the posts.

Really enjoyed The Passage. Got a little confused once of twice with The twelve. Old age, memory issues
    Shasta, try reading a complete chapter or until the characters/scene changes. Might help you stay on track. Let us know how your thoughts when you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    Hmmm. Maybe not. Now my problem is that once I start a book I won't stop so I guess we'll find out!
    Stick with it, it is a good read!

I just finished a reread of JK Rowling's The Casual Vacancy. I absolutely hated it on the first read. I gave it to my daughter and she really liked it, so I decided to reread it. It seemed a lot better the second time around. If it hadn't been written by Rowling, I don't think I'd have even bought it. It's about as far from Harry Potter as it could be. It's a fairly depressing book, with loads of not-nice characters to whom bad things happen.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyman View Post
    Really enjoyed The Passage. Got a little confused once of twice with The twelve. Old age, memory issues
    Shasta, try reading a complete chapter or until the characters/scene changes. Might help you stay on track. Let us know how your thoughts when you finish.
    You are completely correct, as usual! I had liked it when I started reading it before I left. Then on vacation I hated it. I picked it up again last night in the bath and read a whole chapter and went back to liking it.

It is NOT a book to read in spurts with 50 crazy in-laws vying to be the loudest in the room!

Quote Originally Posted by jchanic View Post
    I just finished a reread of JK Rowling's The Casual Vacancy. I absolutely hated it on the first read. I gave it to my daughter and she really liked it, so I decided to reread it. It seemed a lot better the second time around. If it hadn't been written by Rowling, I don't think I'd have even bought it. It's about as far from Harry Potter as it could be. It's a fairly depressing book, with loads of not-nice characters to whom bad things happen.

John
    Well, at least we know that the status of celebrity and millions and millions of dollars hasn't changed her outlook on life. Don't get me wrong, I like Rowling, alot, I think she has tremendous talent and has definately turned a world of 'texters' onto the joy of reading, but she does seem to be depressed alot of the time. I know she hasn't had the easiest life growing up and that does tend to affect one's view of the world, Lord knows I ain't the happiest person either, but she should at least let herself breath easier now, right? I don't think I'll be reading this book from what I've read about it here and in other reviews.