This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 84 of 229 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

"Horns" by Joe Hill

Still reading The Passage. They just had

a big problem in Vegas.

I am appalled that I didn't like this book for a week.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Fly, Colton, Fly: The True Story of the Barefoot Bandit - Jackson Holtz

This is about about Colton Harris-Moore's life and crime spree. This was written by a reporter who covered this story for a few years. It's interesting to read an in depth account of this from a reporter. You get a better idea, because of geography, how Colton was able to allude the police (plus the FBI and homeland security). The book gives all of the fun details of Colton's plane flights and run from the law while it also questions why people celebrate certain criminals.

The book also serves as a very sad commentary about kids with extremely poor parents. His childhood was a mess. Colton's mom is an alcoholic and his dad was a heroin addict who died mysteriously in a motel room when Colton was very young. After his father was gone, there were a few more drug addicted boyfriends in Colton's life. Colton started breaking into houses at a very young age stealing food when his mom was not home to feed him. But, Colton did have a few people that tried to help him and he was given opportunities to get on track but didn't seem interested in a life that didn't involve stealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    November Books Read:

None. Nada. Zip. written by B. A. Loser
    I call it 'reader's block'. It passes.

Finished Nelson DeMille's "The Gold Coast" yesterday. Was a very quick book, but I can't decide if I liked it enough to read another by this author. I just did not like the characters very much in this story, and really could not understand the main character at all, particularly at the very end. Masochist might explain it, but whatever...I didn't like him or his wife very much. The best part of the book, and about the only thing that kept me reading was John Sutter's wit. That I DID enjoy. Not sure what's on tap next...Heading to Mexico for a week, so will be taking the kindle, and I have started "Cutting for Stone", so will probably resume with it. Until later.

I'm reading a Chelsea Cain series right now. I'm way behind on the time line but they're really great, serial killers and tormented determined detectives, right up my alley!

Still re-reading It, and enjoying it very much. I started thinking about Henry Bowers, the bully, and how his description reminds me so much of someone that was in my 5th grade PE class (we had multiple 5 grades, but all had PE together). The kid was a farm boy that had been held back several years, and correctly so, in that his reasoning ability was that of a 4th or 5th grader, although he had the body of a 16 year old and was clearly double the physical size of most of fifth graders. He also had a mean temper, and carried a wrench in his overalls that he used to tap other kids on the head with during class, when no one was looking. Our PE teacher was about 6'2" and 250 lbs; the two of them got into a fight (knock down fight) one day, that was the last I ever saw of Dale (thank goodness).

Just finished Charles Bukowski's Pulp. A different kind of pulp fiction novel, only Bukowski could've written that. Next, I'm getting back to 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz, don't know if I can make it, though. Not one of his best, so far.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Norrbotten View Post
    Just finished Charles Bukowski's Pulp. A different kind of pulp fiction novel, only Bukowski could've written that. Next, I'm getting back to 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz, don't know if I can make it, though. Not one of his best, so far.
    I read "Post Office" by Bukowski a couple of months ago. I enjoyed it. I read "Hollywood" a few years ago and thought that was excellent too. "Hollywood" was a fictional account (not really though- his books seem to be just slightly fictionalized tales of his own life) of Hollywood doing his screenplay "Barfly."

I'm reading my collection of H. P. Lovecraft. Really enjoying it too~