Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What are you reading? (continued) - Page 89

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 89 of 229 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

December Books Read:

50. The Lady in the Lake -- Raymond Chandler
    51. Mockingjay -- Suzanne Collins
    52. The Night Circus -- Erin Morgenstern

Complete 2012 List:

Hand of Evil; Web of Evil; Trial by Fire; Cruel Intent; Rage Against the Night; Spider Bones; Life of Pi; The Nightmare Thief; Porkpie Hat; Dracula's Heir; The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes-Part 2; Interred with Their Bones; Seven Stories; Now Write Mysteries!; Island Funeral; Fatal Error; The Black Cat; We Have Always Lived in the Castle; Red Queen; U is for Undertow; Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children; Firestarter; The Boleyn Inheritance; The Other Queen; America's Vietnam War; The Constant Princess; The Hunger Games; 11/22/63; 21st Century Dead; Let's Spend the Night Together; The Risk Agent; THREATS; FEAR; Shadow Show; Are You My Mother? Falling Angel; Catching Fire; Dandelion Wine; The October Country; When I Was A Child I Read Books; Sleeping Beauty; Little Women; Collected Ghost Stories; I Sing The Body Electric!; The Light Between Oceans; Gideon's Sword; A Face in the Crowd; Gone Girl; Zen in the Art of Writing; The Lady in the Lake; Mockingjay; The Night Circus.

I am reading A Big Little Life A Memoir Of a Joyful Dog by Dean Koontz. It has brought both laughter and tears for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    52. The Night Circus -- Erin Morgenstern
    What did you think of the Night Circus? I absolutely loved it but a lot of people didn't.

Well, I have sort of a love/the book was too long, thing with this one. Remember that movie, The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao? The wistful feel of that story really came through in this book and I think she did an amazing job with the writing. The eccentric characters were whimsical, charming, eccentric -- so vivid. BUT, I felt like she needed to kill some of her darlings and tighten that story up by about 200 pages. And this battle between the two old men? She didn't sell me on these characters. I mean, we found out the reason for their rivalry, but it was just sort of thrown in there. I would have liked her to flesh that part of the story out better.

I personally think she had so many wonderful ideas and I can see her excitement and enthusiasm for the story -- I think she just wanted to include everything. She had so much going here, I think she really could have turned this book into a two book deal, or even a trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    What did you think of the Night Circus? I absolutely loved it but a lot of people didn't.

I finished The Twelve and started The Silent Land and the library is holding The Last Runaway by Chevalier and The Husband List by Evanovich for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Becks19 View Post
    I am reading A Big Little Life A Memoir Of a Joyful Dog by Dean Koontz. It has brought both laughter and tears for me.
    No longer a Koontz fan but could not resist a title that has the word Dog in it! Loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    I personally think she had so many wonderful ideas and I can see her excitement and enthusiasm for the story -- I think she just wanted to include everything. She had so much going here, I think she really could have turned this book into a two book deal, or even a trilogy.
    I think your comments are pretty spot on. There was definitely some points that I was like, come on already, but the imagery was SO beautiful that I just didn't care. It's funny that you mention that they gave a reason for the rivalry and that it was thrown in. I can't even remember what it was! I think you hit the nail on the head - a trilogy would have been great. They could have started with the cause of the rivalry and gone from there. It did really go over a vast amount of time that could have been broken down.

I'm reading Horns, Joe Hill. Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere, I'm terrible at going back and reading everything but the lady at the bookstore told me it's going to be a movie..so cool! I know I've mentioned I love him, but I'll say it again..Joe Hill is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by danie View Post
    Finished Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie yesterday. As usual, she had me guessing with all the twists and turns. A nice little Christmas read.
    I got 4:50 from Paddington from the library but have not started it yet. It's a Miss Marple mystery by Agatha Christie (1957). My library just got the Large Type book in which is easier on my eyes (Hey how come none of these smilies wear reading glasses, anyway?)

Quote Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
    No longer a Koontz fan but could not resist a title that has the word Dog in it! Loved it!
    Ha ha that's pretty much the same for me.......If he's writing about a dog, I love it. ( the rest is blah)