Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
What are you reading? (continued) - Page 92

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 92 of 229 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading? (continued)

Default Re: What are you reading? (continued)

Started Fevre Dream by George R.R.Martin

No profanitys as yet...damn

I am reading a book of short stories called Ghosts Recent Hauntings. It is edited by Julia Guran. There are stores by Straub, Gaimen and others. In the introduction Guran talks about ghost stories past and present ( lists lots of books I must seek) she mentions Heart shaped Box in the list of 21'st century ghost stories. Very cool.......Obviously she has great taste in books!! If you like short and spooky stories, I definitely recommend this book. ( I am on page 96 and so far none of the stories have been predictable)

I am reading The Last Runaway by Chevalier; a story about a young Quaker woman transplanted from the UK to Ohio during the days of the Underground Railroad. I find it most interesting as my ancestors participated as an active link in the Railroad in Pennsylvania.

Chevalier also talks a lot about the art of quilting (the British way) as opposed to appliqueing (sp?) (the American way).

"A Face in the Crowd" and "Abarat" and "The Best American Short Stories, 2012" (which has been dissapointing so far)

Explain the difference, please? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Haunted View Post

Chevalier also talks a lot about the art of quilting (the British way) as opposed to appliqueing (sp?) (the American way).

Rhett Butler's people. I got it for a dollar.

Okay, I know I've already said I am reading "The Year We Left Home" by Jean Thompson but now that I'm almost done I had to come back.

Run, don't walk, to your nearest book store (or e-reader- *grumble*) and get it right away. This is seriously the best book I have read in a long time. Five out of five stars, and that NEVER happens from me. (Except for Mr. King.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Jean View Post
    Explain the difference, please? :-)
    From the book:
    "Applique is very popular here. To my eye it has a facile look about it, as if the maker has not thought hard but simply cut out whatever shape has taken her fancy and sewn it onto a bit of cloth. Piecing together patchwork, on the other hand, requires more consideration and more accuracy, that is why I like it, though some say it is too cold and geometrical."

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm101 View Post
    Rhett Butler's people. I got it for a dollar.
    Read this a few years ago. Be forewarned- you're gonna get your dollar's worth. But, on the upside, it's better than Scarlett- the sequel to GWTW.

Last night I read "The Invention of Hugo Cabret" by Brian Selznick. An easy read with pictures! I saw the movie not knowing that it was based on Selznick's previously published book. The hand-drawn pictures and the actual movie stills add so much to an already accessible story, and reading the book *after* seeing the movie made me appreciate it even more (usually I like to read first, watch later.)

Someone at my work lent me "50 Shades of Grey" because another someone at work loved it. I decided to put on my critic hat and give it a try. If you have not read this book.....DON'T. I got a little more than halfway through it and had to quit. I can't believe I even made it that far. This book has absolutely no literary merit, is poorly written, and actually made me a little bit dumber. Characterization is horrible: all Christian Grey ever does is "cock his head to one side" and act aloof. Anastasia Steele is a fool who spends the entirety of the novel blushing, turning crimson, and flushing. If I were a woman I would be outraged to belong to her gender. E.L. James even has the audacity to compare her indirectly to Elizabeth Bennett and Tess Durbeyfield. I'm going to pitch a reality show pilot to FOX in which Uncle Stevie takes E.L. James on in a boxing ring.

Next up on my desk, Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles."